• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Toughest beads I've ever seen!

andy3

I know a truck tire guy that breaks horrible beads after pouring some diesel on into the bead and working it in several times over 30 min. The tires get nice and soft. He said his dad used to drop the impossible ones into a tank with gas/diesel to soak to get them off.

Reaper651

Has anyone ever used one of the Duckbill slide hammer type bead breakers before? Northern shows them in their catalog. Almost eliminates the possibility of damaging the rim. And I don't think I would hit the lock ring quite as much as the guy did in the posted video. But maybe I'm just being too careful.:cookoo:

rustystud

Has anyone ever used one of the Duckbill slide hammer type bead breakers before? Northern shows them in their catalog. Almost eliminates the possibility of damaging the rim. And I don't think I would hit the lock ring quite as much as the guy did in the posted video. But maybe I'm just being too careful.:cookoo:
My buddy who owns and runs a local gas station in the city has a heavy duty one for dismounting them. The length is over 5ft and the weight is around 40lbs . With that thing slamming down on the bead and with soapy water, the beads usually come off pretty fast.
Though for me that is too much work at my age ! Now if I was 20yrs younger ! OK maybe 30yrs !

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got it off. I cheated and used the pallet forks on my skidsteer.
That is not cheating. That is improvising, adapting, overcoming!!!

I built a replacement foot that fits on the bottom of my hi-lift jack. The baseplate is at a slight angle and protrudes forward, with a slight curve on the leading edge. It is patterned after the spade on a professional bead breaker. I place the tire and wheel under the front bumper of the deuce or 5-ton and use the jack to push down on the bead area. I apply soapy water and can hammer on the back side the foot to force it further towards the lock ring/wheel. I cannot say it is easy, but it broke every bead free on 9 tires. The workout significantly improved the steering on the deuce:)

rustystud

I built a replacement foot that fits on the bottom of my hi-lift jack. The baseplate is at a slight angle and protrudes forward, with a slight curve on the leading edge. It is patterned after the spade on a professional bead breaker. I place the tire and wheel under the front bumper of the deuce or 5-ton and use the jack to push down on the bead area. I apply soapy water and can hammer on the back side the foot to force it further towards the lock ring/wheel. I cannot say it is easy, but it broke every bead free on 9 tires. The workout significantly improved the steering on the deuce:)
Was that you "VPed" who posted those pictures a few years ago ? I always thought that was a pretty slick idea !

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Yes indeed on the improved steering! Power steering by Arm Strong!!!

hemi5oh

A little diesel fuel around the bead and either a duck bill slide hammer or a mattock pick from the BII. The diesel fuel is a little trick I learned from an E7 that had been around the block a few times.

Reaper651

My buddy who owns and runs a local gas station in the city has a heavy duty one for dismounting them. The length is over 5ft and the weight is around 40lbs . With that thing slamming down on the bead and with soapy water, the beads usually come off pretty fast.
Though for me that is too much work at my age ! Now if I was 20yrs younger ! OK maybe 30yrs !
I would love to have a hydraulic bead breaker. But the cheaper price and simplicity of the slide hammer is nice. I do believe the one Northern shows is also around 5 feet long and 50 pounds total weight. I think I might get one of these to try.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks