• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Haul

mccubbinsjl

I am looking to acquire a HMMWV from Gov Planet/Iron Planet. The rules say you cannot drive them off the lot when called to pick them up.
Option 1: Can I use a Tow Bar to pull it from their lot in CA or GA to TX?
Option 2: Rent a local trailer and get the HMMWV out of the lot, then use my tow bar to get it back home.
Option 3: Just shell out the $$ and ship it?

TIA
Jimmy

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
So I’ll be recovering an M1123 myself here soon, and my advise from multiple tow bar recovery’s in the past is don’t pull it.

There’s so many variables, fluids contaminated with water, low fluid levels, lug nuts loose, spindle nut failure etc etc that could leave you stranded with a damaged rig or even worst case can drag you off the road with it.

Calculate your fuel economy, your time, cost of wear on tow vehicle, cost of trailer to haul, potential cost of tow vehicle failure (do you trust it?) food, hotel stay if applicable, etc

And get a quote for hauling then compare/contrast then decide what works best for you.

I myself am very adventurous and addicted to the adrenaline rush of a very challenging recovery, therefor I’d be driving it home. (Strongly do not recommend)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mccubbinsjl

So I’ll be recovering an M1123 myself here soon, and my advise from multiple tow bar recovery’s in the past is don’t pull it.

There’s so many variables, fluids contaminated with water, low fluid levels, lug nuts loose, spindle nut failure etc etc that could leave you stranded with a damaged rig or even worst case can drag you off the road with it.

Calculate your fuel economy, your time, cost of wear on tow vehicle, cost of trailer to haul, potential cost of tow vehicle failure (do you trust it?) food, hotel stay if applicable, etc

And get a quote for hauling then compare/contrast then decide what works best for you.

I myself am very adventurous and addicted to the adrenaline rush of a very challenging recovery, therefor I’d be driving it home. (Strongly do not recommend)

If it runs, ill drive it home, but if i can do it for anything less that $1000 ill do it that way.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
If it runs, ill drive it home, but if i can do it for anything less that $1000 ill do it that way.
One factor to keep in mind is many people look down on this hobby, and any bad publicity of a wreck causing injury and/or fatalities impacts all of us whether we were present or not.

So if you’re wild enough to drive one home, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with the mechanical faults and failures normally present on these rigs (or many other MVs being surplused) but truthfully any truck you bid on is being sold for a reason.

Sometimes you get lucky, and it’s sold because “it’s just old” but many times you’ll find issues in the way that would prevent a successful trip home.

I’d recommend changing the engine oil, topping off the other fluids, and changing the hub oil on all 4 corners as well as inspecting the spindle nuts, driveshafts, belts, tires etc at bare minimum.

I’m cheap, but I always know in the back of my mind being cheap could cost me $5000 plus in a breakdown because I’m trying to be a scrooge

Others can chime in

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It will fit on a uhaul trailer car carrier very tight. The newer silver ones not orange. You have to tell them you are towing a Jeep or bronco as they will not rent to you otherwise.

If you have enough truck to tow & most importantly brake safely, you can tow bar and rig up lights taped/strapped to back fender. Having a back up tire/rim in advance is smart as almost none have a spare.

Rarely see any coming out of GP with busted spindles/hubs or anything to indicate it will not roll.

I came prepared to tow bar mine home. Slaved the batteries and off I went with my son following behind for 3 hours. BTW, I had done my homework and looked at the video and pictures 1000's of times and was confidant it was a good solid runner.

YMMV

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am looking to acquire a HMMWV from Gov Planet/Iron Planet. The rules say you cannot drive them off the lot when called to pick them up.
Option 1: Can I use a Tow Bar to pull it from their lot in CA or GA to TX?
Option 2: Rent a local trailer and get the HMMWV out of the lot, then use my tow bar to get it back home.
Option 3: Just shell out the $$ and ship it?

TIA
Jimmy
Is your euc clear?

nukem

I've made many recoveries of many different vehicles. Unfortunately, 9/10 of them are alone. Here's how I'D handle this.
#1--Insure the vehicle.
#2--Rent a 2500 series pickup from Enterprise and explain that it might be a one way rental. Rates now here in Alabama last weekend was $89 a day for the truck unlimited mileage. One way charges are usually +-$125.
#3--Buy, beg, borrow or steal a receiver mounted pintle hook and light or medium tow bar . Carry magnetic tow lights.
#4-- Drag the pig off the base.
#5 --Check into the Motel 6 or Marriott? Its an all day process.
#6 --replace every fuel filter and at least the oil and drive it like you stole it for thirty minutes .
#7--Make a decision.

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Remember the TM: if you tow it by tow bar more than a few miles and intend to tow at speeds higher than 30MPH, you must disconnect the propeller shafts (drive shafts). High speed tow bar towing is NOT recommended though, even so.
I was able to get mine off the DLA lot without using a tow bar, but I was prepared to and had fall back plans to trailer with a uHaul as described.
It can be done.
BDGR

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks