• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Loan

salt6

Won a M1009 in Greenbrier, AR 72058

Need to borrow/rent a tow bar to recover a CUCV near Little Rock, AR and return to Tulsa, OK area.

Still need to see if a tow dolly will work.

Thanks,

Steve

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd loan you mine but you could build one for the shipping costs one way. Do a little searching for fabricated towbars. Many of the CUCV guys have figured out an easy way to use the $75 walmart towbar on the CUCV.

jimm1009

I had one made about 13 years ago for $100 by a little welding shop with a SAE certified welder. I think that it is 2 inch, 3/16 wall with a 2 inch civy coupler on it.
Unfortunately, I can't get pictures of it until Saturday as I am off on a 1.5 day recovery trip to retreive two M105 trailers @ Hooks, TX base.
If you want to e-mail me with a reminder request I can in turn e-mail some pictures on Saturday morning and then send them to your e-mail address.

jimm1009

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you win the M1009 with the missing left rear window glass? If so I have some new ones. I have a couple of towbars also in OKC.

Ken_86gt

I used a U-Haul tow dolly, but I would never do that again. The truck (M1009) was too big for the dolly, the front wheels were hanging over the sides of the dolly. I recommend building yourself a tow bar.

salt6

Thanks Guys.

Won a M1009 from GSA ir AR. Talked to the one of the guys at the yard and says flatten one of the tires when they moved it lafter the last auction. Also says it was the second time it was put up for auction. So I'm going with a truck and car trailer. Will try and make the recovery monday. Still like to get a towbar.

Thanks

Steve

PS what can I use for a temp replacement for the flat tire? want to just go to the local salvage so I will have something to roll it on.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Guys.

PS what can I use for a temp replacement for the flat tire? want to just go to the local salvage so I will have something to roll it on.

Any '80s GM 15" 6 lug rim will work.

Let me know if you need a window.

Warthog