• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

tow bar rent or borrow

bchauvette

I am thinking on getting a M939 in the GA,FL,NC,SC,LA or VA area. The ones that are listed as not running are more in my price range. I would tow the M939 with the M944. Any input on renting or borrowing a tow bar would be appreciated. I have that image in my mind.
What a sight!!!!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Flat towing an MV with another MV is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced....especially long distances. My guess is that your insurance will not cover a towing accident but you can check. You will be a toad in the road, especially on the Interstate. Been there, done that, got the skidmarks in my drawers to prove it. Nothing is more unnerving than seeing a Peterbuilt running up on your rear end at 70+ and wondering if he is going to change lanes before you become road kill. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flat towing an MV with another MV is not for the faint of heart or the inexperienced....especially long distances. My guess is that your insurance will not cover a towing accident but you can check. You will be a toad in the road, especially on the Interstate. Been there, done that, got the skidmarks in my drawers to prove it. Nothing is more unnerving than seeing a Peterbuilt running up on your rear end at 70+ and wondering if he is going to change lanes before you become road kill. Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Couldnt agree more.....I was with a maint unit for 5yrs, towed many many trucks with the wrecker, it takes EXPERIENCE to do this folks...it's one thing for a military unit to do it, as they are left alone by L.E. and state troopers.
insurance isn't an issue either. We used to have a buffer vehicle fall back behind the wrecker and towed vehicle, both of which had amber lights flashing the whole way. I'd make sure your tow bar has the MWOs applied to it as well if you do it and is of the proper rating.....and READ the TM on towing and recovery.

3dAngus

Towbars were being sold for $150 here recently. It might make for a good investment.

Agree with all the above. Very dangerous, especially on the higher speed roads.

Stopping can be a bitch. And insurance, don't ask. Read. Sometimes local insurance agents give out wrong info on it, sometimes they have a monthly budget where they can "help out" within the boundaries of their empowerment, but even then, if their monthly budget is eaten up already from other wrecks, they might not have anything left to fork over for an uninsured accident using a tow. Almost anything you tow, including a trailer, is not usually insured by most companies, nor the contents, unless you specifically ask for it (and pay), so be sure to read your small print, and be aware, there is plenty of small print in these insurance policies not attached now days. You have to ask for it. Be careful, and good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks