• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar: Storage Location Question

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've seen brackets made that mount it transverse across the front bumper.

I've seen brackets under the bed. (Out of the way until you need it, then awkward and difficult to reach.)

I've seen brackets on the front of the bed, and also on the dropsides.

As for me, I can't decide what to do with it, so mine is lying in the bed in the way every time I do something with the bed.

Hulk5T

I've seen brackets made that mount it transverse across the front bumper.

I've seen brackets under the bed. (Out of the way until you need it, then awkward and difficult to reach.)

I've seen brackets on the front of the bed, and also on the dropsides.

As for me, I can't decide what to do with it, so mine is lying in the bed in the way every time I do something with the bed.
Same problem here,I mainly don't want it scratching up the bed.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Any idea's on where to store my 5 ton tow bar?
The "out front" without a winch is a heck of a plan. It puts the Tow Bar near where it is needed.
I have a couple of pictures of ideas on how others have solved the problem...

Tow Bar - Bumper Mounting.jpg Tow Bar Mounting 01.jpg Tow Bar Mounting 05.jpg Tow Bar Side Mount 01.jpg

The small Pintle is a nice way to hang the "ring" where it can't "get away from you" and could be locked with a little effort.

charlesmann

I've got 2 in Ft Worth. Newer and older styles. Feel free to swing by.
Thought you were down south, around the san antone area. Its rare im in the dfw area, but if i do get up there and havent come across one closer to hm or enroute to or in the houston area, ill give you a shout. Iv stopped maintaining an aircraft in denton, so my trips in the dfw area are usually a stop at the airport heading to/from work

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use and like the under bed brackets from tmg.
Can be lifted up under bed one leg a time.
Rock solid.
Ymmv, I do not use it on a regular basis.
I agree with juanprado. I had mine, although it was a deuce, mounted at the front underside of the bed. Exactly as stated, stored as a single piece, easily separated and pulled out 1 leg at a time by a single person. Attaching an assembled medium tow bar by ones self to the tow vehicle can be a tad difficult though.
The ones pictured above mounted on the side of the bed is another cool option, but, if it were me, I would do the smaller half on the down side so it could be removed 1/2 at a time. If I were to do it over again, I would do it that way

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any members in the central tx area have a 10 ton and below tow bar i could take a look at and pull measurements from?
Do you not yet have a towbar? ... I'd wait untill you have one, then you'll have all the info you need - not least of which, the unwieldy nature of it and how heavy/awkward it is to manhandle, which may shape your location decision.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here’s my setup I had on my old 923View attachment 850619

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
@Elijah95
That's a clever use of a pintle hook for your forward attachment hanger.

Could you share with us a close-up of the what the aft hanger configuration looks like? Did you fab something or improvise some other existing hardware?

THANKS in advance.

John

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with juanprado. I had mine, although it was a deuce, mounted at the front underside of the bed. Exactly as stated, stored as a single piece, easily separated and pulled out 1 leg at a time by a single person. Attaching an assembled medium tow bar by ones self to the tow vehicle can be a tad difficult though.
The ones pictured above mounted on the side of the bed is another cool option, but, if it were me, I would do the smaller half on the down side so it could be removed 1/2 at a time. If I were to do it over again, I would do it that way
I lied, I had bow storage at the front, the 3/8 rod the bows rest on....I secured mine in the pocket under the bed, centered between the axle, secured with a chain through the lunette and another chain through the feet and pulled tight with a turnbuckle to the lifting bracket guides. There is a pic somewhere on the site.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks