• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Storage

steelandcanvas

I have read several different threads about tow bar storage on cargo trucks, but I didn't recall this being considered. With a little thought and some decent weather, I came up with this installation. As you can see in the photos, it's just a metal framing channel (Unistrut) ell bracket bolted to the cargo bed support ribs. All hardware is Grade 8, 1/2"-13. My tow bars fastened up to the ribs real nice, and they are out of the way but still very accessable for use. I separated my tow bar into 4 pieces, the install I'm showing are the inner pieces of the tow bar, fastened above the passenger side duals. This will make it easy for one person to retrieve the individual pieces and assemble the tow bar on the ground.

Attachments

RAYZER

Looks good! However, if you get into a off road sitituation and those axles have to articulate, the tires might hit the tow bar.:)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ray is right, the tires danr near hit the bed. I always kept my bar between the bed floor and the bed frame rails right in the center between crossmembers. Had to put it in in 4 pieces and it didn't come out quick but once it was there, not a sole could see it.

steelandcanvas

The wheels coming up and touching the bed did cross my mind, however that vehicle seldom, if ever is off-road. She's more of a highway queen. If I would happen to wander off-road where the terrain would cause the axles to articulate, I can always remove the bars and toss them in the bed. For now, the bars are accessable, but out of the way.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good idea Jonathan. It would work in all but some extreme off-roading like one time following Stretch at Haspin. Work even better for a show truck or "road queen". It would have been nice to have when I blew up my Deuce and had to get the complete tow bar out of the bed.

59apache

Chipmaker
Just for my peace of mind, i would cross drill the bolt and use a spring cotter pin as a second safety lock. Maybe one bolt on each with a padlock?

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Not concerned about the salt/water/debris being constantly splashed onto the bar?

steelandcanvas

Just for my peace of mind, i would cross drill the bolt and use a spring cotter pin as a second safety lock. Maybe one bolt on each with a padlock?

I have received a couple of PM's suggesting that same thing. I am using Nylok nuts, but I guess a guy can't be too careful. I will pin those bolts as suggested.

steelandcanvas

Not concerned about the salt/water/debris being constantly splashed onto the bar?
No, not really. She rests in the shop Mid-November through Mid-March. I mainly use her for parades and displays. We don't use salt on the roads here in Colorado, and we're dry here most of the year. If I did get anything on them, I'd take her down for a bath at the local quarter car wash. Granted this install wouldn't work for everyone, but it fits my needs. I used to throw the bar in the bed, but when we have passengers for a parade, I take it out and put it on the shop floor so nobody trips over it. I then drive off without it, entirely defeating the tow bar's purpose. This is an experiment, we'll keep an eye on the install just so nothing goes amiss.

emr

If it works for you, it is the right thing to do, If you use it you may find its a chore, Can you unload it safely alone ? And debri as just road dirt may be a concern after it being there awhile, She will rust up fast, will need a little more PM pulling a greasing the legs under there too, just my thoughts , :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you had given this a little more thought you could have driven it behind Special Ed's Road Oiler and coated everything to protect it.

:)

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, it will hit. This is how I did my junk. The pins for the feet pull against the frame and I used a chain with a turnbuckle through the pintle eye to pull it toward the bed rail.

Attachments

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I'm thinking "hernia" trying to remove that bar out from under the bed, Will. I purposely separated my tow bar so one guy could handle it. My truck is a highway queen, she seldom if ever gets off-road. I do displays and parades with our Club and don't off-road the truck. I think if I had the occasion to, I would remove it and toss the parts in the bed. If I find this install to be a problem, I'll definitely re-think it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks