• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Stowage Ideas

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was undecided which Forum would be the best location for this thread, so since Tow Bars convert vehicles into "trailers" I settled on this one.

Here's the situation....

We presently own a Medium Tow Bar AND a HEAVY Tow Bar. We also own a Deuce - M35A2 and a 5-Ton Semi-Tractor - XM-818.
(I'll post comparative photos sometime this weekend.)

I would like to be able to carry the Medium Tow Bar on either vehicle and possibly the Heavy Tow Bar on the 5-Ton Tractor.

I've been unable to locate any standardized mount and presume tow bars are simply "tossed into the bed" when carried onboard. I seem to recall some random mention of tow bar mounts in some camper mod threads and such but SEARCH has yielded no cross-reference to those threads.
I would prefer to have a standard and secure location with anchoring hardware/clamps/pins that would keep the tow bar secure rather than rattling around in the Deuce's bed or somehow "strapped" to the diamond-plate behind the cab of the Tractor.

Here are some thoughts.....

1. Standardized "Posts" on the front bumper of both the 2-1/2 or 5-Ton trucks for the Medium Tow Bar's individual "Legs", to mate with, and/or also being able to capture the almost 8-foot long Heavy Tow Bar Legs.

2. Clamps and/or Anchors/Cradles similar to the Pioneer Tool Rack's configuration and location beneath the Deuce's bed for stowing and securing a Medium Tow Bar.

3. Fabricating a Tray or Basket with retaining devices between the Deuce Bed's cross-members wherein either size tow bar could be stowed perpendicular to the truck's Chassis Frame Rails.

4. Clamps and/or Anchors/Cradles near either rear corner of the cab of either the 2-1/2 or 5-Ton truck that would hold the Medium Tow Bar Legs in a vertical orientation like a short mast. (The overall height of the Heavy Tow Bar would prohibit this position for it.)

5. Fender-Mounting for Medium Tow Bar Stowage ??? Any thoughts?

What other ideas have you seen on active duty or civilian modified trucks of ANY class. I'd even like to see how Tow Bars are carried on APC's and other tracked vehicles, and recovery vehicles - either tracked or wheeled.

And please remember.....

:driver:
nopics
:tank:

THANK YOU !!!

The thread is now open for discussion...
... There are no "bad" ideas.

Last edited:

aleigh

rustystud

mounting tow bar on front of deuce.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpgmounting tow bar on front of deuce  5.jpg327.jpg

There are plenty of pictures of how others have mounted their tow-bars. I just have them on my bad computer ! Just keep searching. There is a really cool mounting unit from a Stryker I believe that is all aluminum. It has half circles cut out and the matching circle comes down as a clamp to hold it in place. Others have made similar units with pictures here.

ReoRider

IMG_2538.jpgIMG_2650.jpgIMG_2540.jpgFor your XM-818 tractor think about carrying the tow bar sections on both sides of the rear frame rails. With no cargo box in the way, access is easy for installation and removal for use. The extra weight is also where it can be put to use. Did this for my M52 for years and now have the set up on the current M916A1 (see pix).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I welded footmans loops to mine and added some heavy nylon straps. Now L sling it like a backpack and carry it eveverywhere. LOL, jusk kidding.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too remember a fellow who fabricated a set of beutific brackets for the front of his deuce. The brackets were double half circles that hinged like a clam shell. He had a winch truck and mounted them above the fairlead. But the same could be set up for a WO/W truck.

Fat chance I'd find that post, given my search abilities.....

Rick

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some of my considerations....

The front bumper location, though convenient and a comfortable lifting height, exposes the tow bar to potential damage in a collision. It does, however, render a really hunky look to an already tough looking MV.

Under the frame or bed means it could be inaccessible if the truck is mired in mud... Although in that situation rigging a tow bar between trucks would be difficult at best, and almost impossible to align.

In the bed would both consume valuable cargo space AND it would be potentially and easily buried forward of or under your cargo, rendering it inaccessible when needed.

I have thought about reinforcing the bed sides and adding additional ribs. Then hanging the tow bar legs external of the bed. (Standard legal vehicle width is now 102".)

The vertical mount at the back corner of the cab seems to be "winning" since is would almost always be accessible, even in a mud pit or when loaded with tons of cargo. The tow bar would not be readily exposed to damage in a frontal encounter with a solid or moving object. Depending on the mount's design, the lower anchor point could engage the foot end of each leg, then the leg pivoted up into the stowed position and "locked" in a mast-like orientation. I particularly like this "pivot concept" since the higher lifting position would be a bit less safe if it was a free-lift.

Thoughts???

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear bed tool bnox tow bar install

I put my tow bar in the bed next to a home made tool box, but it could be placed all the way up front under the headache board without the tool box. Just another idea for you.

Attachments

rhurey

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went with under the bed. Accessible from either side on the side of the road.

Don't think I'd use it if mired in mud.

WP_20150826_003.jpg

jasonjc

I just leave them on the trailer behind the truck:naner:

DSCN0552[1].jpg

But now that I have enough for all my trucks:p .

A mount does sound like a good idea.

goldneagle

I was undecided which Forum would be the best location for this thread, so since Tow Bars convert vehicles into "trailers" I settled on this one.

Here's the situation....

We presently own a Medium Tow Bar AND a HEAVY Tow Bar. We also own a Deuce - M35A2 and a 5-Ton Semi-Tractor - XM-818.
(I'll post comparative photos sometime this weekend.)

I would like to be able to carry the Medium Tow Bar on either vehicle and possibly the Heavy Tow Bar on the 5-Ton Tractor.

I've been unable to locate any standardized mount and presume tow bars are simply "tossed into the bed" when carried onboard. I seem to recall some random mention of tow bar mounts in some camper mod threads and such but SEARCH has yielded no cross-reference to those threads.
I would prefer to have a standard and secure location with anchoring hardware/clamps/pins that would keep the tow bar secure rather than rattling around in the Deuce's bed or somehow "strapped" to the diamond-plate behind the cab of the Tractor.

Here are some thoughts.....

1. Standardized "Posts" on the front bumper of both the 2-1/2 or 5-Ton trucks for the Medium Tow Bar's individual "Legs", to mate with, and/or also being able to capture the almost 8-foot long Heavy Tow Bar Legs.

2. Clamps and/or Anchors/Cradles similar to the Pioneer Tool Rack's configuration and location beneath the Deuce's bed for stowing and securing a Medium Tow Bar.

3. Fabricating a Tray or Basket with retaining devices between the Deuce Bed's cross-members wherein either size tow bar could be stowed perpendicular to the truck's Chassis Frame Rails.

4. Clamps and/or Anchors/Cradles near either rear corner of the cab of either the 2-1/2 or 5-Ton truck that would hold the Medium Tow Bar Legs in a vertical orientation like a short mast. (The overall height of the Heavy Tow Bar would prohibit this position for it.)

5. Fender-Mounting for Medium Tow Bar Stowage ??? Any thoughts?

What other ideas have you seen on active duty or civilian modified trucks of ANY class. I'd even like to see how Tow Bars are carried on APC's and other tracked vehicles, and recovery vehicles - either tracked or wheeled.

And please remember.....

:driver:
nopics
:tank:

THANK YOU !!!

The thread is now open for discussion...
... There are no "bad" ideas.
Here is a bracket set I found on this site. I think they are military issued.

Attachments

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The last two clamp samples are what I was mentioning. They look to be easily made of plate steel and hinge rod. They are certainly robust! That is what I'd make as mounting solution and fun small project!

Thanks fellas!

Rick

rustystud

I too remember a fellow who fabricated a set of beutific brackets for the front of his deuce. The brackets were double half circles that hinged like a clam shell. He had a winch truck and mounted them above the fairlead. But the same could be set up for a WO/W truck.

Fat chance I'd find that post, given my search abilities.....

Rick
That's the one I was talking about ! He copied it from the Stryker mounting.

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ithink it may be the other way around, this is an old wrecker that has been out of the service since before the strykers were in inventory!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks