• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow Bar Stowage Ideas

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've looked at every thread referenced here about Tow Bars, and every other thread cross-referenced in those threads and have yet to see any photos of the HEAVY TOW BAR that I have.

So.... Here's a comparative photo showing the HEAVY Vs the MEDIUM Tow Bars.

1.jpg

As you can see, the HEAVY Tow Bar is considerably more bulky than the MEDIUM Tow Bar is.
Each Leg of the HEAVY Tow Bar is just under 8' in length.

From the FedEx records for shipping the Medium Tow Bar, it weighs 134 Lbs.

It is my personal ESTIMATE that each leg of the HEAVY Tow Bar is 250-300 Lbs for a combined assembled weight of 500-600 Lbs. I know this because just outside of that picture you would see both of my nuts on the ground writhing in agony!!!
The HEAVY Tow Bar is definitely one that you want Soldier B, Soldier C AND Soldier D to help you manhandle.

When the HEAVY Tow Bar was given to me, I was told that it was rated for either 116,000 - OR - 160,000 Lbs towing capacity. It was used for maneuvering the Sheriff's M113 variant APCs, but I'm told it could handle anything up to and including the M-1 Tanks.
Can anyone confirm or clarify this information??? Are there specs for this tow bar available anywhere?

Just thinking through these details, I am now less inclined to really want ot mount the Heavy Tow Bar on either the Deuce or the M818 since neither is genuinely capable of pulling its rated load. I would think that any towed vehicle over 100K Lbs would and should be towed employing something much heavier than a 5-Ton.
Would y'all agree?

With that being said, from this point forward I'll be focusing only on mounting/stowage of the MEDIUM TOW BAR.

Any other thoughts, Folks ? ? ?

Last edited:

aleigh

IMO the medium tow bar is the "right" size. When split in half the medium is 2-man lift unless the person is incredibly fit. The TM for the medium is 9-4910-593-12 and it is rated there through 39K lbs. I am of course referring to the oldschool metal ones, not the newer Ibis Tek models which have a questionable Internet reputation after a couple of them broke during operation. I have the older style and I am quite happy with it.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMO the medium tow bar is the "right" size. When split in half the medium is 2-man lift unless the person is incredibly fit. The TM for the medium is 9-4910-593-12 and it is rated there through 39K lbs. I am of course referring to the oldschool metal ones, not the newer Ibis Tek models which have a questionable Internet reputation after a couple of them broke during operation. I have the older style and I am quite happy with it.
Thanks for that TM number.

Here's a link to its content:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/misc/TM9-4910-593-12P.pdf

Carry on.

rustystud

I've looked at every thread referenced here about Tow Bars, and every other thread cross-referenced in those threads and have yet to see any photos of the HEAVY TOW BAR that I have.

So.... Here's a comparative photo showing the HEAVY Vs the MEDIUM Tow Bars.

View attachment 629071

As you can see, the HEAVY Tow Bar is considerably more bulky than the MEDIUM Tow Bar is.
Each Leg of the HEAVY Tow Bar is just under 8' in length.

From the FedEx records for shipping the Medium Tow Bar, it weighs 134 Lbs.

It is my personal ESTIMATE that each leg of the HEAVY Tow Bar is 250-300 Lbs for a combined assembled weight of 500-600 Lbs. I know this because just outside of that picture you would see both of my nuts on the ground writhing in agony!!!
The HEAVY Tow Bar is definitely one that you want Soldier B, Soldier C AND Soldier D to help you manhandle.

When the HEAVY Tow Bar was given to me, I was told that it was rated for either 116,000 - OR - 160,000 Lbs towing capacity. It was used for maneuvering the Sheriff's M113 variant APCs, but I'm told it could handle anything up to and including the M-1 Tanks.
Can anyone confirm or clarify this information??? Are there specs for this tow bar available anywhere?

Just thinking through these details, I am now less inclined to really want ot mount the Heavy Tow Bar on either the Deuce or the M818 since neither is genuinely capable of pulling its rated load. I would think that any towed vehicle over 100K Lbs would and should be towed employing something much heavier than a 5-Ton.
Would y'all agree?

With that being said, from this point forward I'll be focusing only on mounting/stowage of the MEDIUM TOW BAR.

Any other thoughts, Folks ? ? ?
I recognize that Heavy Tow bar from my M60A1 Tank days. We used the heavy tracked tank recovery vehicle to tow it. Yes it took 3 men to man handle that thing into position ! I had the chance to buy one here last month and there is no way I would have or need that thing again !

goldneagle

If you want a tow bar the is stronger than the Medium tow bar but lighter than the heavy tow bar, I have a Heavy-Medium tow bar with the combination 3/4" and 1" Y feet. The feet are nos and so are the 3/4" pins. Do not have any 1" pins. PM me if interested. (your back will thank you)

FloridaAKM

I have a MTVR heavy towbar kit that I got from GL last year. I moved it from the crate to a storage container & will probably never move it again. It is a piece by piece move only by me as it is sooooo heavy! Useful if you need to move a tank or an MRAP!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I ended up with a heavy tow bar from a M105 trailer purchase, it was in the back under the cover and bows! I will probably never use it, but it is impressive!!!

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the pins on the heavy tow bar are 1.5" diameter.
The Pin connecting the Legs of this Heavy Tow Bar at the Lunette Ring is 1-1/2", whereas the Feet Ends and the Shackles shown have 1-1/4" Pins.

The Sheriff's Crew used this Tow Bar (and another that they kept) only when winching their two APCs onto and off of the trailer they transported them with. They did NOT have the Feet for the Heavy Tow Bar and therefore had only the loose linkage of pairs of Shackles on each Leg End for their straight-line winching.
Our XM818 Tractor was the motive power unit for their APC Transport.

Sadly, both APC's (in perfect operational condition) were surrendered back to Uncle Sam under an Executive Order by President Obama which effectively RECALLS ALL TRACKED VEHICLES from Municipal Law Enforcement Agencies, Fire Departments, and other Emergency Response Entities. These two APC were picked up shortly after we got the XM818, and they were destined for a short life as TARGETS on a LIVE FIRE ARTILLERY RANGE.

(Please do your absolute best to avoid the temptation to add ANY politically biased commentary here. The statement above is NON-POLITICAL and simply a STATEMENT OF FACT concerning recent actions by governmental bodies and officials.)

Last edited:

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Medium bars stow best strapped to the muffler bracket on 5tons, standing vertically, they don't collect water that way. I usually chain the heavy bar to the front bumper on the bigger trucks.

IMG_2500.jpg

rustystud

The Pin connecting the Legs of this Heavy Tow Bar at the Lunette Ring is 1-1/2", whereas the Feet Ends and the Shackles shown have 1-1/4" Pins.

The Sheriff's Crew used this Tow Bar (and another that they kept) only when winching their two APCs onto and off of the trailer they transported them with. They did NOT have the Feet for the Heavy Tow Bar and therefore had only the loose linkage of pairs of Shackles on each Leg End for their straight-line winching.
Our XM818 Tractor was the motive power unit for their APC Transport.

Sadly, both APC's (in perfect operational condition) were surrendered back to Uncle Sam under an Executive Order by President Obama which effectively RECALLS ALL TRACKED VEHICLES from Municipal Law Enforcement Agencies, Fire Departments, and other Emergency Response Entities. These two APC were picked up shortly after we got the XM818, and they were destined for a short life as TARGETS on a LIVE FIRE ARTILLERY RANGE.

(Please do your absolute best to avoid the temptation to add ANY politically biased commentary here. The statement above is NON-POLITICAL and simply a STATEMENT OF FACT concerning recent actions by governmental bodies and officials.)

Though I don't feel law enforcement needs an APC, I still don't want to see them destroyed ! They should sell them to us !

dmetalmiki

My locations. Deuce, Front bumper. 5 Ton, Up on the drivers side fender. M62 Wrecker, On the rear deck In the correct original box with all the clamps chains and adapters. 5 Ton Camper (Russian bodied) On rear fabricated mounts under the bumperettes. FV 432. On A bar clamps at the side of the vehicle. All these locations make getting at and using the bars simple and easy.

rustystud

My locations. Deuce, Front bumper. 5 Ton, Up on the drivers side fender. M62 Wrecker, On the rear deck In the correct original box with all the clamps chains and adapters. 5 Ton Camper (Russian bodied) On rear fabricated mounts under the bumperettes. FV 432. On A bar clamps at the side of the vehicle. All these locations make getting at and using the bars simple and easy.
Some pictures would be nice :-D .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Who picks em up? to put em back in the bed of the truck I mean. Sounds like a horrible idea!

rumplecat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are the tow bar hangers on my M936A2. And what is this post for, I am assuming it matches up with the com. equipment in the cab?SAM_0491.jpgSAM_0488.jpgSAM_0489.jpg