• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tow bar

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do your home work on the ibis tek which generation your looking to buy ! There was just a day or 2 ago someone on here talking about a recall on one of the ibisteks but i didnt pay much attention ! Had a big failure rate .

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I’m trying to decide which tow bar to purchase for my 2003 non up armored M1123. The Ibis tek retractable tow bar or the military med tow bar? I will be towing from my POV. Also open to any other options people know of.
Medium is heavier and stronger. Of course that means you have to hustle the thing into place when you need it. Retractable is "cute" but I don't want cute when a HMMWV is following me that closely :cool:

You might want to spend a little time looking through the Towing TM. Links below:

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was in the market for a tow bar for my M998 I would absolutely take the med tow bar over the Ibis Tex. Have heard of many issues with the Ibis and that is enough for me. Besides, the med tow bar is much more manly lol

Mark

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was in the market for a tow bar for my M998 I would absolutely take the med tow bar over the Ibis Tex. Have heard of many issues with the Ibis and that is enough for me. Besides, the med tow bar is much more manly lol

Mark
Be a real man and use the towbar from Hell.

Attachments

GTUnit

Its my understanding that the Ibis Tek HMMWV bars started failing when the Up Armored HMMWVs came out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The Medium Tow bar for sale everywhere is 140 lb. We have options so I chose to get the 44k Ibis Tek Medium tow bar. It should pull a HMMWV and any other MTV.
I just weighed my Ibis Tek 44k bar with all pins (no clevises) and its 58 lb.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Its my understanding that the Ibis Tek HMMWV bars started failing when the Up Armored HMMWVs came out. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
The Medium Tow bar for sale everywhere is 140 lb. We have options so I chose to get the 44k Ibis Tek Medium tow bar. It should pull a HMMWV and any other MTV.
I just weighed my Ibis Tek 44k bar with all pins (no clevises) and its 58 lb.
Well... That could be true, but the question is: Do you have the best piece of hardware for the job? Or is there maybe a larger safety margin with the bigger and heavier Medium Tow Bar? Especially if - for who knows what reason - the HMMWV gets a little "squirrely" as it is being dragged down the highway?

HoveringHMMWV

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could either of these tow bars be used for pushing or are they limited to towing only?
Just wondering as I don’t have any experience with them.

GTUnit

Well... That could be true, but the question is: Do you have the best piece of hardware for the job? Or is there maybe a larger safety margin with the bigger and heavier Medium Tow Bar? Especially if - for who knows what reason - the HMMWV gets a little "squirrely" as it is being dragged down the highway?
Even if I'm dragging the HMMWV down the freeway on its side I'm not worried about exceeding a 44k rating. Pulling a MTVR up and down steep grades would make me think twice. You can always go bigger and heavier. But at some point your age, health, and risk of injury heaving a 140lb bar outweighs the psychological comfort factor of having a practically 3x safety margin.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Saw a medium tow bar used to pull a dead semi with two flatbed trailers behind it by another semi. Just ask Hammer about that (he has since acquired the heavy towbar)

medium towbar is more than strong enough for anything you could throw at it with a HMMWV

Hammer

Saw a medium tow bar used to pull a dead semi with two flatbed trailers behind it by another semi. Just ask Hammer about that (he has since acquired the heavy towbar)

medium towbar is more than strong enough for anything you could throw at it with a HMMWV
Yeah, wasn't my first choice, but when you break down on the of the road, you use what you use.
Btw, the medium tow bar is rated for 44k short and 13k (I think) fully extended.

I have used and towed MANY things with the medium tow bars. I TRUST them. I don't trust the ibis though. Be nice to weigh that little, but not for my safety and everyone around me!
And yes, I have the HEAVY tow bar now. Now that sucker is freaking heavy!

920_towing_818_trailers_1024x768.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could either of these tow bars be used for pushing or are they limited to towing only?
Just wondering as I don’t have any experience with them.
Yes they can be used for pushing, but mass and geometry (height/angle, distance to other axles, weight etc.,) will dictate sucess.
I regularly use half of a towbar (also known as a rigid bar) for manouvering vehicles in the yard - BUT you do need another person to steer. Off road, a rigid bar will also turn two 4x4's into a very articulating 8x8 that can push/pull as individual wheels/axles loose traction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks