• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towbar Question - M1028

RallyRebel

New to this great site and also new CUCV owner. I've looked through SEARCH and really couldn't find the answer to my question, which is has anyone fabbed up adapters for a commercial towbar to fit a CUCV? I've been without much luck locating the correct military towbar and need to transport my M1028 about 1000 miles soon.

Also, any long-distance towing advice would be appreciated! I'm planning on disconnecting the driveshaft at the diff and bolting inexpensive trailer lights to the rear shackle mounts and can't think of any other prep beyond that.

THANKS! :wink:

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Welcome to SteelSoldiers RR. Nothing is sweater to hear then your trying to search our old posts for the info:) One thing is you need to add a location. It makes it much easier as alot of us help eachother out when things come up.

I have seen one person put a commercial towbar on a CUCV, and it was not pretty at all. They bolted the adapter that came with the towbar to one bumper bolt on each side. I would not suggest that. Also when I was looking for a towbar originally I found that many you would find at the auto parts stores are only rated for 5000lbs. Off the top of my head the CUCV weights somewhere around 6000lbs.

I ended up building my own towbar. I attached it to the tow vehicle with a lunitte ring that fit into the towbar with a 2" reciever section. It attached to the CUCV at the stock tow locations. I have not yet found the thread that had pics, but will post it if I can find it. Don't go too cheap on the trailer lights as it is good to have a set when you need them. Also don't forget a good length of safety chain. I picked up a nice safetly chain from HomeDepot.

RallyRebel

Thanks for the input! I've got no problem fabbing something up (Milermatic 251 MIG w/spoolgun, Spectrum 80 plasma cutter) as long as I know what I need to do to make it right. Curb weight for the M1028 shows in all the docs I could find a just a bit over 5K, but I'd rather have a stout towbar than most of what I've seen in the commercial line-up. Would like to see those pics, or any info on the bits to hook to the tow points on the truck.

Vehicle is currently in St. Louis and I'm looking to tow to Florida.

rdixiemiller

RE: Re: RE: Towbar Question - M1028

A towbar can be made without too much trouble. I would probably use 1.5X1.5X.25 wall square tubing for the arms, get a good heavy coupler for your hitch (or a lunette if you run a pintle hook) and build it similar to a military unit. If you have a CUCV handy to measure off of, you can build a fixed width bar, otherwise build an adjustable width unit. A set of magnetic lights from Tractor Supply or Walley World ($50) and you are in business. I would pop the front hiub spline adapters or unlock the hubs (if equipped), pull the rear driveshaft, and check the differential lube. I would probably check the front wheel bearings, just in case. Make sure the lug nuts are tight, and the spare is aired up. Remember, Fords and Chevy's use different lug nut sizes, so pack a 4 way lug wrench. Drive safely, and remember, there are SS members all along the way if you break down or need help.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial

Hey sorry about the delay. The CUCV shackle mounts are 31-1/2" apart measuring from the outside of each mount. The mounts are 1-1/2" wide, and 2" tall. The pin diameter is 1".

I can't get my pics to load, but if I can I will post some pics of my homebuilt towbar.

RallyRebel

Thanks, even though I've opted to ship the truck now rather than tow I'd still like to fab a tow bar to have on hand.

Any further insight on towing an M1028?

I bought mine to use on my south TX deer lease, and was thinking it would be easier to tow it than trailer it......with shackle mounts up front, seems all you should need is the tow bar?

Thanks, even though I've opted to ship the truck now rather than tow I'd still like to fab a tow bar to have on hand.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, medium tow bar and 1" adapters and your all set. Common sense items like lights, safety chains and disco rear shaft or pull axles is also a help. 3/4" towbar adapters and pins with bushings will also suffice.