• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tower Park MV gathering

Bucolic

[FONT=&quot]I went to the "Tower Park" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]replacement[/FONT][FONT=&quot] gathering this weekend, 4-22 and 4-23. I must say, I really feel sorry for the vendors. The campground was beautiful, as a campground. As a MV gathering venue, it sucked. All the vendors were scattered all over the place, most had packed up and gone home. I was told they were leaving because of the poor lay-out and dismal turnout. The campground is all hills making it a workout just to walk around. I got there Saturday around noon after driving 7hrs and I was really surprised by the fact that there was no parking at the event. You had to park about a half mile away and hope to catch the shuttle. THEN, when you get to the entrance, you had to pay $10 per person to get in. I will not be going back, ever, if the gathering is at the KOA campground.[/FONT]

quickfarms

The real tower park did close about noon on Saturday. The best days were Thursday, Friday and Saturday morning.

Tower park had similar parking issues but not the entrance fee

I did not go this year mainly because of the disorganization and I heard a bunch of other people were boycotting it.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to the Petaluma event as well. I had to park and walk about a mile each way. Upon getting to the park driveway, they charged us $10.00 per person to walk around. There were people pulling up in vehicles who wanted to pickup purchases and were turned away...not cool. I saw several vehicles pulling out the campground and the drivers were all shaking their heads and did not look happy. For the most part, everyone seemed to be in good spirits but I heard from several vendors that sales were super-poor because of the aforementioned issues. I know the fall event this year will be back @ Tower Park. I reserved my spot already and am looking forward to being there in September. I certainly hope folks who either didn't go to Petaluma or were frustrated with that venue/event will return in the fall to Tower Park.

BillIdaho

This exact same conversation is taking place on at least 3 forums I am aware of. The MVCC had their meeting on the Saturday of the event. I was told by more than one member of that club that all of the issues were discussed in great length. I was also told KOA said at the last minute they were giving the money from the people that paid at the gate to the helicopter. (That raises my eyebrows on several different dynamics!)
Personally, I really think the problems cannot be fixed. I also think most of this will be forgotten within a few months. KOA will probably make a few political promises to appease the MVCC.
At Tower Park, the MVCC event in the spring was the biggest event that campground had all year long. They bent over backwards to help in any way they could. Well, at the Petaluma KOA, the MVCC show is NOT the biggest event, so unlike Tower Park, the MV show isn't the biggest fish in the pond. They (KOA) have no real incentive to sink any money/efforts into hosting the MVCC event.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at the Saturday meeting, and yes the issues, especially vendors were discussed at great length. As for Tower Park it is no longer managed by the KOA. It is now managed by Yogi Bears Jellystone Park, and the reason the April MVCC event can't be held at Tower Park is that the back half of the park has been converted to a family themed water park. The smaller September meet will still be held at Tower Park, but we will be confined to the front area of the park. The YBJP group have some different ideas on how to run the business from the KOA. You can't bring your own fire wood due to environmental concerns, and no driving unlicensed vehicles on park property are just a few. Instead they want us to rent their golf carts to get around the park at $60.00 a day $65.00 on week ends. They have been sending me e-mail advertisements with the do's & don'ts. The similarities I see is that both groups want too Nickel & Dime you to death. So It's going be interesting to see if things can be ironed out at KOA Petaluma, and what Yogi & Boo-Boo are going to surprise us with in September. 2cents

rickf

I see similarities in the far east and west shows. It looks like both are headed downhill while the midwest shows in Ohio are booming.

Major Asstyrd

There is a lot to be addressed here....

Regarding the upcoming Tower Park meet September 19-25, 2017, we have negotiated a better deal than was originally planned. No day user fee except a small fee/wristband to use the pools/spa. No day-user parking charge and day-user parking is along the adjacent levee road. Trailer parking by the Tower Park entrance as usual. We are in Campgrounds 2 and 3, close to that levee, office, store, restaurant/bar, and marina. It's shady and the roads are all paved, so little dust. Jo-Ann Lesser volunteered to be "Wagonmistress" like she has been for years for the April meet at Tower and now Petaluma. So you go through her to pick a campsite, THEN she tells YBJP office to take your reservation. mamalesser@yahoo.com. There is a two night deposit required and the cancellation policy, while modified, is tighter than in the past. Do yourself a favor and look at the MVCC forum over on www.G503.com for a couple threads on the Fall meet. Read all the way through them. Join the Military Vehicle Collectors of California, the event promoter, to get insider news via the nice print newsletter. www.MVCCNews.net

Regarding Camp Petaluma April 24-29, 2018 (note the 4th week now), the vast majority of participants last April enjoyed themselves, some saying it was a much better event than the Tower Park meets. But there were some important issues, mostly affecting non-campers. Club management is talking with the KOA owner about ways to improve. News about this will be shared this September at Tower Park. The issues are day user fee, more onsite parking, increasing the days/hours of the shuttle buses to the offsite lots, loosening the number of vehicles parking in campsites, better signage including roadside electronic signs, and obtaining more campsites in the forest where the long term and over-winter folks were. Yes, we have MANY people asking for NEW reservations. We are alsothinking of ways to help people transport merchandise to and from the offsite lot.

This was an excellent social event. It's a beautiful place and with a nice historic town nearby, there were more reasons for the wives to attend, and many did. There are many cabin options including the small sleeping cabins in a central location. What sets this place apart from many campgrounds are the excellent MV road-driving options in West Sonoma and Marin Counties, some of the most scenic in the state. We had two, well-attended MV runs, oddly at the same time, west to the coast for lunch and they took different routes back. This hurt vendor traffic for hours on Friday. But that didn't mean those people didn't shop at other times. W

It's important to improve day-user access as much as possible because vendors want that. There is much more chance to attract new people to this venue than one in the Delta. There are MANY MVers in the North Bay and some have never travelled to Tower Park, Big Bear Park, or the old Patterson venue. So our hobby should grow because of this location. The requests for 2018 campsites is an indication of this.

People who looked at MV forum posts, the MVCC website, and/or the MVCC newsletters, were better informed about Camp Petaluma. This is a great place if you have a campsite because that's where you park! The only question for campers then is how many vehicles are allowed or can fit. Did you know we could use the permanent RV storage lot for our extra cars, trucks, and trailers? We plan to do a better job with onsite signage directing people to that. The KOA owner told his tenants they could not access their rigs during our week, thus allowing our vehicles to block them. There was a lot of unused space in that lot, which is onsite. This means more room in the campsites, like for MVs and vendor tables.

One underutilized aspect of this event was the Group Camp area. This was a $10/night option, no minimum number of nights, and it included the entry wristband and a place to park inside the campground! Likely this will continue in 2018. How's that for value, and a way to park onsite? A commuter could do that and just use his camp space for parking. We hope to have the other dry camping field right next to the small parking lot by the office converted to a parking lot. Probably all the cars and trucks that parked at the offsite lot could fit there. BUT this is not for sure, and it might come down to weather and if that lawn is too soggy for vehicles. The other wild card is the giant grass field adjacent to KOA. In a dry year, much of this could be in play for parking and large MV displays. But we can't count on that.

Hills? Yes, part of the place is on a hill. Bring your jeep! We want to make this venue as vendor-friendly as possible. I heard some vendors up on the hill did well. Vendors now know the layout, and if they want to improve their location they can simply work with Jo-Ann to find a different site. Vendors who are thinking about not coming in 2018, if any, should closely watch the plans. Those who don't return will allow the ones that do more selling opportunities. One note about the small sleeping cabins - we saw a vendor use the excellent location for his tables but he stayed offsite. He allowed a member to use the cabin, thus sharing the cost. Pretty slick!

Change is what it is. People will adapt. This will continue to be the largest, annual MV swap meet and gathering west of the Midwest, and will stay at Petaluma KOA until someone finds a different place large enough and with enough to offer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks