• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing 2 M35's behind a 915

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to flat tow two M35's behind my civilian version of a 915. The truck is a clone she is 430 horse Cummins. I'm thinking of adding a weight over the fifth wheel. I think I know the answer but, can the air over hydraulic brakes work in reverse? Long and short is if I supply air to the service side on the m35 will the brakes apply with use of tractor brakes.

The other option would to lift tow using fifth wheel wrecker on front truck then flat tow the rear truck. Give me your thoughts and advice. I have towed many times just a little different situation this time. Thanks

Proposed tow vehicle
IMG_1228.jpg
Hitch I built with 50 ton pintle hitch
IMG_0788.jpg

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would say 2 trucks on tow bars is just asking for trouble with 2 steer axles on the ground. It seems a whole lot more practical and safe to just rent a step deck trailer with a st of ramps.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Go add a big Ecology block from a concrete place or some type of weight to the rear of it. Otherwise they will push you around. Double flat towing is nothing but a truck with no weight on the back of it will get pushed a lot. Ecology blocks weigh 3600 to 5500lbs.

Yes the brakes will work just like a trailer would. the only issue is that they aren't as powerful as the brakes on the tractor being air over hydraulic. They will have a delay as with air but you won't feel the rear truck brakes grab like you would like towing a M939 series.

I would want to use a Medium Heavy or Heavy bar on the front truck to give you more clearance on the truck and on turns. As well as the medium bar on the second truck at full extension.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Go add a big Ecology block from a concrete place or some type of weight to the rear of it. Otherwise they will push you around. Double flat towing is nothing but a truck with no weight on the back of it will get pushed a lot. Ecology blocks weigh 3600 to 5500lbs.

Yes the brakes will work just like a trailer would. the only issue is that they aren't as powerful as the brakes on the tractor being air over hydraulic. They will have a delay as with air but you won't feel the rear truck brakes grab like you would like towing a M939 series.

I would want to use a Medium Heavy or Heavy bar on the front truck to give you more clearance on the truck and on turns. As well as the medium bar on the second truck at full extension.
Yes I'm thinking a block, or a box that I could fill with dirt or water tank and could add water to. I do have two medium tow bars. I have 4 trucks to move so two trips. I am working on a lowboy that will have a winch it can haul 2 m35's but it's a long way from complete. I do not have the fifth wheel wrecker I mentioned I'd have to purchase it so I'm trying to figure a safe way to move the trucks. So I will most likely add weight add get brakes functioning on the rear towed truck. I will also take the advice on to bar lenghs.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check into using a saddle setup like the guys that deliver Class 8 trucks use.

Basically you attach the steering axle to the 5th wheel of the towing truck. You can do this multiple times.

Check it out: http://www.whitemuleco.com/saddles.html
i will not have access to equipment to load onto the fifth wheel. I would love to have one truck up like you mentioned but just not sure how I could work it out.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The longer the towbar, the more torque on the front of the truck, easier to steer. But you can really put a strain on the bar. Usually, I have the TB with 3 holes showing when using a medium. I prefer the 83000lbs oshkosh bar though.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Never use water tanks. The sloshing can cause lots of fun especially on wet roads

Trucks also seem to towbar better if you pull the front hub flanges off. I guess that internal movement gives alot more resistance than you would think. I did it when i towed an m816. I left em on and it towed typical of a heavy dual tire truck. Trying to buck and push itsself along with the lane grooves. Removed the hubs for some desplines and i didnt know it was even back there. Then again i made sure i outweighed that wrecker by 3200lbs.
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Never use water tanks. The sloshing can cause lots of fun especially on wet roads

Trucks also seem to towbar better if you pull the front hub flanges off. I guess that internal movement gives alot more resistance than you would think. I did it when i towed an m816. I left em on and it towed typical of a heavy dual tire truck. Trying to buck and push itsself along with the lane grooves. Removed the hubs for some desplines and i didnt know it was even back there. Then again i made sure i outweighed that wrecker by 3200lbs.
Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I was thinking a tank that has no air space left so water can not slosh around. The main reason I thought about a tank would be for ease of moving it around empty. I will probably try to track down a concrete block though. I saw in another tread someone suggested disconnecting the draglink as well. I may fab some spline free hubs on my Cnc plasma.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks