• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a 5 ton

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
RE: on the subject of towing

any other numbers, or any number thats starts with nsn-

AMGeneral

A word on towing a 5 ton with a Deuce.....DON"T!!!!!!!! I speak from expierence here,had my M52A1 5 ton tractor break down not far from home once.Deuce was the most convinent to get to(never mind that I have a M816 wrecker just as close)To make a long story short.I had to walk home to get the wrecker,extract the deuce from a ditch(after un hooking the 5 ton first and towing it home) and then tow the Deuce home as well.As far as towing not 1 but 2 M123 tractors home,I was probably seriously over taxing the M816's drivetrain and well excedding it's lift tow limits,as far as that goes the next M123(or 125) that comes home will be trailered here.Just my 2cents

emr

Flat towing on pavement is easy with deuce to deuce, The wrecker set # 7 was for and used only when one wanted to towbar off road , so one could lift the front wheels, since if they have no traction, they wont steer, U simply are not starting out with wheels straight ,or in the direction U are towing in, they will not correct from the start, have done it alot, from NJ to Aberdeen, and back,and for years around NJ before and still, Towbaring is leagal if U have safty chains and lights and a in tow sign, Ive tow barred my 800 with one of my m35's with great success, but that is why the 5 tonners have 'glad'brake handles in the front, hook up the brake lines correctly , and practice in a BIG parking area first, My one deuce has always been a Bear, It handled the 5 tonner awesome, <that> dont ever do anything you are not sure of, and for god sakes never try to ty up the steering wheel, i have had people tell me to do that, they have obviously never done it , or even thought about it. let them steer by themselves,steer wide , and start straight on hard ground, pavement is best, backing up is tricky but can be done to, but its alot easier with some one steering for U, Randy

emr

That was as awesome as a Deuce could, was supposed to be in the <> they are slow and i believe should never be rushed, getting there slow and safe is the way to go,when ever possible always try to have a chase vehicle, keeps idiots off the butt. randy

rwelker

All the opinions and I still not really sure what to do. I should have pointed out in the original post that I planned on putting about 4 ton of stone in the deuce dump bed before I towed so to have equal weight as the vehicle being towed. I also planned on connecting the brakes. Tomorrow I'll look around and see if I can find someone local to tow or haul. I'm not concerned with speed; all back roads to travel (about 80 miles worth). The tow deuce has a LDS-1A fresh engine in it and really pulls well. The whole idea behind the 5 ton is to get more capacity to haul/tow. Thanks all, Rick

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those who have never met Randy (EMR), he is a really nice guy. He restored a first class deuce and was using it a few years ago to pull trucks out of the mud at Churchville (Aberdeen show). Welcome, Randy.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RWELKER: Get the truck towed. Even if you can make the deuce weigh as much as the 5 ton (which probably would mean you are overloading or at least reaching the limit of the rated weight carrying capacity of the deuce), you have to consider that the deuce's brakes, most importantly, are not designed for this type of towing mission...and especially not for 80 miles. Look, you do what you want...I am not saying I have not done anything that others might frown upon...but, seriously, even at $3/mile, you will only be paying $240 to get the truck towed! Heck, figure $4/mile and the bill only comes to $320. That is a small price to pay to avoid the risk of any problems and keep the wear and tear on your deuce to a minimum. My $.02...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't offer any advice on towing the 5 ton but will say this. When flat towing a deuce, they do not like sharp turns especially right turns. Many times I've had to rush back and correct the wheel location on a right turn. Plan o this happening on right tirns and be ready to correct or have a second person in the seat for the local small turns. To date I have well over 3000 miles towing a deuce on the towbar.

Monty

M1075 said:
Bruce is right (as usual). Never tow a heavier vehicle with a lighter vehicle. Unless you are moving something around locally or offroad, call in the big boys.
Is the Oshkosh truck able to drive down the highway? Those things are massive. I remember climbing around on one at the motor pool but never got I ride. Was the truck purchased at an auction?

emr

Thank you so much for the kind words!! Loading <stone>in the deuce on paper sounds good, but remember you have now taxed your brakes to the limit and want to then add a another vehicle behind, it. i would only do it for the first time if someone close to me let me practice with there truck behind my truck first, Luckily i had truck driving experience, when i was young before any special licenses i drove dump trucks for summer work, being young i learned alot the hard way, when buying these military trucks, we all need to remember we should practice first , nailing the brakes, up and down shifting hard knowing what the truck will feel like when bucking alittle, towing is a whole new game, i practiced alot locally before going down the interstate, as for towing your new toy, You are one of the smart ones to ask what other guys are doing, thats good for the hobbie, i wish U the best . Randy

JDToumanian

Where were all these flat-towing nay-sayers when I was posting questions about recovering my V-18A/MTQ with my deuce? 8) I towed it 180 miles on the freeway, and it handled like a dream. I had towing lights and big safety chains. But if the 5-ton is a lot heavier I wouldn't know how it would handle.

As for the tracking problems, something isn't right with the towed vehicle. I went around some very sharp curves, I had my friend get in the V-18 but he never had to touch the steering wheel. I'm talking curves that are gas station and drive-thru restaurant parking lot sharp.

Regards,
Jon

Attachments

2027Deuce

Its really a matter of being able to stop. If you can transfer weight from the towed vehicle to the tower this helps. (like a wrecker does) Also the DOT would have a serious fine for you (with a heavier vehicle in back) especially if any accident occured. I would rather not pay the haul fee myself but I would and do cause I just don't want anyone hurt. For me MVs are pure fun. I don't do anything real serious with them so I want to keep it fun and sometimes that costs alittle extra.

dmetalmiki

AM no disrespect but your "story" is hard to follow .WHY was the duece in a ditch???WHY did the tow NOT work (in words of one sylable!).. I had a head gasket blow on my 5 ton AND that had a jeep AND two motor bikes in back!!.. and I towed the LOT HOME 80 miles on windy britt roads WITH my 2 1/2 ton deuce.ABSALUTELY .NO PROB!.(((drove like there was nothing in in particular behind there!!))).RELATIVLY SLOWLY ,,CAREFULLY.. and with FORWARD thinking.

dmetalmiki

EMR ENDORSE everything you say and pointed out.. coudnt have sed it better or more consisely!!...I have AND AM doing just what you HAVE done..AND are doin..(obvously experience counts!!).. tek heed fellow enthusiasts.. PRACTICE it does work ..(re -read and digest EMRs post! )as a ps I have pulled my trucks with the deuce MANY many miles AIR llines connected SAFETY chains!..LIGHTS bar. NO probs!.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
As most of you know, I have a reasonable amount of experience driving ex military 6x6s - though there are many on this list who have more - DavidB comes first to mind, with Kenny right behind. I have all the right equipment, all the little bits and bobs, all the tech manuals, and a reasonable amount of coaching from a full time heavy wrecker operator with many, many years of experience. I've towed deuces with deuces many miles - I've towed 3/4 tons with deuces many miles, I've towed deuces with ten tons many miles.

As mentioned, I've towed a 5 ton with a deuce on a vacant air field. I'd not do it on the open road, even with the air lines connected. The reason is simple, the risk is too great in my opinion.

I've got a family who loves me, and wants me to see another day - the highways are filled with moms and daughters, brothers and sisters, fathers and sons, all who are counted on coming home.

Towing is cheap - 250-300 bucks - I ABSOLUTELY mean no disrespect when I say this, but if the truck is not fully operational now (and it clearly isn't) if you can't afford the tow bill, you can't afford the truck - the repair, insurance, etc. will exceed the tow bill many fold.

Tractive effort is not an issue, with or without weight in the back of the deuce. IF - and this is a huge if - the towed trucks are operational, and you connect them to the prime mover - stopping isn't an issue. Control is the issue - and it is being marginalized in the two situation proposed. CAN it be done? Yep - some on here have attested to this - and at least one had considerable over the road experience prior. Do you have that background?

With all due respect to everyone here - it is quite likely that the Army is more knowledgable about MVs than any of us, and has undoubtedly spent more money studying MVs than us, and certainly has more experience than any of us. Ever seen a Stateside convoy with a deuce towing a 5 ton? Deuces certainly less expensive to operate than wreckers. Consider that the army walked away from wreckers on the deuce chassis in the fifties, because they were not big enough.

All it takes is one time estimating wrong - best case, like Brandon, you walk and get your stuff out of the ditch, more likely, you are explaining to someone "I'm sorry mam, I really thought I knew what I was doing and my truck could handle this, I'm really sorry I killed your family." Is the chance of having to say the later worth the few bucks saved?

Respectfully,
David Doyle

kcimb

DDoyle said:
As most of you know, I have a reasonable amount of experience driving ex military 6x6s - though there are many on this list who have more - DavidB comes first to mind, with Kenny right behind. I have all the right equipment, all the little bits and bobs, all the tech manuals, and a reasonable amount of coaching from a full time heavy wrecker operator with many, many years of experience. I've towed deuces with deuces many miles - if towed 3/4 tons with deuces many miles, I've towed deuces with ten tons many miles.

As mentioned, I've towed a 5 ton with a deuce on a vacant air field. I'd not do it on the open road, even with the air lines connected. The reason is simple, the risk is too great in my opinion.

I've got a family who loves me, and wants me to see another day - the highways are filled with moms and daughters, brothers and sisters, fathers and sons, all who are counted on coming home.

Towing is cheap - 250-300 bucks - I ABSOLUTELY mean no disrespect when I say this, but if the truck is not fully operational now (and it clearly isn't) if you can't afford the tow bill, you can't afford the truck - the repair, insurance, etc. will exceed the tow bill many fold.

Tractive effort is not an issue, with or without weight in the back of the deuce. IF - and this is a huge if - the towed trucks are operational, and you connect them to the prime mover - stopping isn't an issue. Control is the issue - and it is being marginalized in the two situation proposed. CAN it be done? Yep - some on here have attested to this - and at least one had considerable over the road experience prior. Do you have that background?

With all due respect to everyone here - it is quite likely that the Army is more knowledgable about MVs than any of us, and has undoubtedly spent more money studying MVs than us, and certainly has more experience than any of us. Ever seen a Stateside convoy with a deuce towing a 5 ton? Deuces certainly less expensive to operate than wreckers. Consider that the army walked away from wreckers on the deuce chassis in the fifties, because they were not big enough.

All it takes is one time estimating wrong - best case, like Brandon, you walk and get your stuff out of the ditch, more likely, you are explaining to someone "I'm sorry mam, I really thought I knew what I was doing and my truck could handle this, I'm really sorry I killed your family." Is the chance of having to say the later worth the few bucks saved?

Respectfully,
David Doyle
I think Ddoyle wins the prize for most well-thought out post in this entire thread.

M1075

spicergear said:
M1075 said:
You could always use a M911 to tow the deuce as well. Here is what a deuce with 11R20 duals looks like behind one.
Why are the rear duals singled out in this pic but dualled in the first one?
I popped those outer tires off to be within legal 102" limit. I don't worry about that now and just run with the duals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks