• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a 5 ton

Mudstone

In response to lance... i agree while big green says never tow anything larger and never tow without air... i've done both of these without any incident... a 5 ton w/o air hooked up will still stop a 5 ton... and a deuce will stop a 5 ton... and a hemtt will stop anything accept a het with trailler.... that was not bright but done out of necessity... it becomes more what you are comfortable driving hauling and stopping... pay attention and you can cross the states without air to the tow vehicle is what i'm refering to.

emr

I have to go with if U do not think its safe do not do it, BUT it is done daily on our roads thru out the world, five tons towing 5 tons and deuces towing deuces, and like so well said above about it is done all the time, a five ton will stop a 5 ton very very nicley, i say this because years ago, and i always say to do this in these threads, before going out on the road connect both trucks touch every conection drive a short distance hit the brakes good, touch everything again, take the unit to a large area and get going 20 to 25 and NAIL the brakes as hard as u can, it will teach U more than any one anywhere can. then check out your trucks, are u scared or OK I can handle that, my experience of practice runs years ago, and over the road experiences say the 5 ton is more than a match to tow another 5 ton, the air conections are the way to go, but really i have to say it depends on how far, are the roads highway, alot of traffic, hilly etc, all make my decisions. Now i am lucky to say i have 20 ton loads under my belt driving tandems years ago for summer jobs, but U have to get experience somewhere, its up to you really, U sound reasonable ,and i am honest about that, are u strong enough to hold that truck straight in a difficult situation? The speeds u should be driving a 5 ton will stop u just fine, expecially with the air hooked up. alot of guys say they do sixty with those ruper singles, and will say what u want to do is dangerous, now that sounds silly to me. so i believe it is an opinion from the other posts about what a 5 ton will post by writing numbers down on paper, I know it works.

Last edited:

Mudstone

That is exactly what to consider in a situation... we used to practice panic stops in M935's and M109 all the time pulling eachother and themselves. its hairy the first time but go on your gut.. the trucks can take it if you can.

fasttruck

Been there and done that. But in the service you are insulated from state permitting and pesky dot inspectors and insurance problems.
M 818s do not have tractor protection valves do if you have a leak and loose braking look for a soft spot to land. Towed with m818 which had a hand applicator valve (trolley brake) which made it possible to control brakes on tow independently but lack of weight on rear end would cause a towed cargo truck to"hunt." preferred way to do long distance evacuations was to trailer the piece as the reason to tow it was it was damaged and collateral damage caused by towing would be eliminated. Towed a dead m813 from ft. Drum, ny to dover, nj once with a m62 gas job. Used 200+ gallons of gas and no oil that trip and left ft. Drum in convoy and was 5 hours behind at end of trip.

Andy1234

Is there a FAQ on towing a 5 ton w/ another 5 ton that I can be pointed to? If not, can another member with experience post some instructions (and pictures)?

Thanks,

Andy

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks