• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a commercial trailer with an M-series 5-Ton

JBmerchantmarine

I was sort of thinking that , 11,000 lbs is a lot of weight just empty. Most of the 12 ton Air braked civilian tag trailers I have been looking at weigh in at almost half that , plus with the folding ramps , ect , easier to load or unload equipment. If I remember correctly from the spec sheet on the m929 , it was rated for pulling like 33k , so yeah the truck 25,600 lbs , 11 k trailer , dozer or small excavator ( approx. 18 k max ) will put me at 55,000 lbs total. That's asking a lot for the 250 cummins. it would be slow going I'm sure.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about using a M989A1 trailer as an equipment hauler? Would this be a real dumb idea? I would think beyond the obvious issue of ease of loading / unloading equipment, that the next issue would be little tongue weight on the hitch , I wonder how that would affect the towing. After doing a little light reading it sounds like these trailers were meant to be pulled by the big HEMTT. I would assume towing with an m 900 series 5 ton truck that you would loose a lot of traction , sort of like trying to pull an oversized radio flyer wagon. I notice too that the trailer weight itself is a staggering 11000 plus pounds. But, it has the payload capacity I am looking for about 22,000 lbs. Anyone have any experience with these? My gut tells me that unless I'm gonna be hauling around big rocket launchers stay with a civy trailer , but these M989's look so **** cool , I'm getting excited just reading about them.

M989A1. I've got one. I like it a lot.

I towed it with an M35A2C 1260 miles. Cruising 53mph.

I tow it with the 5ton.

I've even towed it (off road and brakes caged), with a 1ton Ram. Not recommended.

Do not even consider backing it.

As to towing heavy weights with the NH250. If you like slow, then by all means.... but I mean SLOW. M925 on towbars behind an M934A1 on 6-7% grade yielded single digit speeds with foot on the floor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks