• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a commercial trailer with an M-series 5-Ton

JBmerchantmarine

I was sort of thinking that , 11,000 lbs is a lot of weight just empty. Most of the 12 ton Air braked civilian tag trailers I have been looking at weigh in at almost half that , plus with the folding ramps , ect , easier to load or unload equipment. If I remember correctly from the spec sheet on the m929 , it was rated for pulling like 33k , so yeah the truck 25,600 lbs , 11 k trailer , dozer or small excavator ( approx. 18 k max ) will put me at 55,000 lbs total. That's asking a lot for the 250 cummins. it would be slow going I'm sure.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about using a M989A1 trailer as an equipment hauler? Would this be a real dumb idea? I would think beyond the obvious issue of ease of loading / unloading equipment, that the next issue would be little tongue weight on the hitch , I wonder how that would affect the towing. After doing a little light reading it sounds like these trailers were meant to be pulled by the big HEMTT. I would assume towing with an m 900 series 5 ton truck that you would loose a lot of traction , sort of like trying to pull an oversized radio flyer wagon. I notice too that the trailer weight itself is a staggering 11000 plus pounds. But, it has the payload capacity I am looking for about 22,000 lbs. Anyone have any experience with these? My gut tells me that unless I'm gonna be hauling around big rocket launchers stay with a civy trailer , but these M989's look so **** cool , I'm getting excited just reading about them.

M989A1. I've got one. I like it a lot.

I towed it with an M35A2C 1260 miles. Cruising 53mph.

I tow it with the 5ton.

I've even towed it (off road and brakes caged), with a 1ton Ram. Not recommended.

Do not even consider backing it.

As to towing heavy weights with the NH250. If you like slow, then by all means.... but I mean SLOW. M925 on towbars behind an M934A1 on 6-7% grade yielded single digit speeds with foot on the floor.