• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing a crew cab with a m1008

84cucv1ton

Way out in PA I found a big block crew cab. Been looking for one for a while. I have an 18 foot trailer. I didn't take it take to it yet but I believe it will just fit on my trailer. never towed anything that big before. some family going with me.

pretty sure my truck will do okay. Just thought I'd ask. Want to be safe about it all and having someone tow it to New Jersey is a lot of money.. Any thoughts?. Post up. Thanks

pigfoot63

Hauled a few big block Suburbans with my 20 ft. trailer and M1008 pulls well onthe flats and a liittle slow on the hills. Make sure to hook up your trailer brakes.

biggestc69

Like everyone will tell ya, no speed demon. Hills will be your enemy. I usually drive mine towing fullsize trucks around 45 and try to keep it there towing on flat even ground and it will do it all day. Even in the 100+ temps here in Kansas lately. I upgraded my tranny pan and external cooler with gauge and it never gets over 180. New radiator and thermostat keeps the engine temps in check. What I have found is momentum on a hill is everything! you see one coming I always try to hit the bottom of the hill at around 55mph. That way you've got the trailer helping to shove you up. Repeat momentum is everything.

Attachments

84cucv1ton

will be a pintle hook.. 1031 has the electric brakes.. thats down now.. was going to use my rack body m1008.. no electric breaks. crap! didnt think of it

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake controller isn't a ton of money and only requires a few hours for the install at best. Might be worth it!

84cucv1ton

any recommendations on a brake controller? I'm going to do this myself. Got myself a new set of connectors with this sealing ends. Got some decent flexible wire. Easily reach the back of the truck. Got the trailer connector of course and a few adapters..

Before I tackle this is there anything else I should be thinking of? want to make sure I have it all before I start I thought

2002ford

I would use alot of caution. I did it with a 7300 pound truck and it still made me alittle nervous. I found if I didnt watch the trailer I was better off. Lol. I went to U Hual and got a brake controller for $54.00. They will install it for you to if you want. My truck was already wired for it. Good luck.:grd:

Attachments

antilies

I went to U Hual and got a brake controller for $54.00. They will install it for you to if you want. My truck was already wired for it. Good luck.:grd:

That is true, We can install that. You will be out about 2 hours of your time and around $120- $150 depending on which parts you choose.

-Bruce

buck

With tip up ramps I don't think it will work. Slide unders you can get it on there but you'll have very little room for adjusting tounge wieght.

MarcusOReallyus

With tip up ramps I don't think it will work.

That's what I'm thinking. I had to use cargo straps to secure the ramps when I towed my M1008. They wouldn't come up all the way to where the holding chains could reach them.

Same thing with the same trailer towing a civvyChevy 3/4 ton. Standard cab, utility body with a slightly extended bumper.

But a tape measure will settle the question. :popcorn:

2002ford

The wheel base is 13 foot 8 inches for the crew cab. I put mine on a 14.6 ft trailor. I added 4 10k tie down points on the trailer so my axle straps went from the center of the trailer plus a 5k winch pulling forward. It will push your truck around trust me. I quite looking in my mirrors. That being said, my truck is longer and heavier than a m1008. Be safe and use trailer brakes.:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks