• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a dead M1083 with M1079

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Odd. I'll have to do a video as I said. Mine does not free roll forward on a mild incline (never has). It's not brakes, because as soon as I shut off the ignition it will roll as you guys describe. I figure that it must be the trans that's holding it in place in N.

Next time you are about in the truck, see if parking it facing down hill produces any different experience.
Tried it on the way to work this morning. Put trans in neutral while at a stop light facing downhill and truck freely rolled forward.

I did run across this:

Could be that you have some I/O function enabled on your controller.

I also recall you mentioned a vampire drain - I do wonder if your transmission controller is having problems. Like a solenoid driver is stuck high - that would account for your battery drain and some clutch inside the transmission always receiving power and applying fluid pressure. Or a wiring fault that has a similar effect - grounding a solenoid that is ignition powered, etc.

I would investigate this as it is a clear indication of either something being setup incorrectly in the Allison software or a controller or wiring fault. At least I hope that's the case and not something mechanically stuck open that's applying fluid pressure when it should not be,

Third From Texas

Tried it on the way to work this morning. Put trans in neutral while at a stop light facing downhill and truck freely rolled forward.

I did run across this:

I also recall you mentioned a vampire drain - I do wonder if your transmission controller is having problems. Like a solenoid driver is stuck high - that would account for your battery drain and some clutch inside the transmission always receiving power and applying fluid pressure. Or a wiring fault that has a similar effect - grounding a solenoid that is ignition powered, etc.

I would investigate this as it is a clear indication of either something being setup incorrectly in the Allison software or a controller or wiring fault. At least I hope that's the case and not something mechanically stuck open that's applying fluid pressure when it should not be,

Thanks.

I also confirmed that it does this facing either way on an incline.

No other issues with shifting or the AWD observed.

I'll have to do some lookign into it. It's been like that since I owned the truck.

It's 100% a trans thing and not brakes. I can feel the trans hold and release.

Third From Texas

I did run across this:

Looking at the video, that "disabled at grades over 4%" seems like exactly what is going on if I understand it correctly. Neutral at Stop is clearly not working with my truck. As you say, could be a number of causes I suspect.

I'm going to look into it further, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I always thought that there was something detecting an incline involved. The truck will in fact roll freely on level ground.

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking at the video, that "disabled at grades over 4%" seems like exactly what is going on if I understand it correctly. Neutral at Stop is clearly not working with my truck. As you say, could be a number of causes I suspect.

I'm going to look into it further, but I'm not gonna lose sleep over it. I always thought that there was something detecting an incline involved. The truck will in fact roll freely on level ground.
Hhhhmmm - I suspect that our transmissions don't know anything about slope percentage though. Much like the oil level indication system offered on the Gen IV - our transmissions don't come equipped for that feature.

I'll check out the Allison software and see if it can report angle. Don't recall seeing that. Could be integrated into the control module I guess.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking out loud but if you dont have a set of lines that run from glad hand to glad hand you could always take the reciver end of a quick connect air line with all ready to screw into 1 of the air tanks of the 83 and your 78 could just fill the 83 system with air to release the parking knob on dash if you have a way to connect a air hose on your truck now ! With a reg 50 ft air line from home ! It will take a little time to fill the the 83 but much easier than cageing the p brake cans .

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thinking out loud but if you dont have a set of lines that run from glad hand to glad hand you could always take the reciver end of a quick connect air line with all ready to screw into 1 of the air tanks of the 83 and your 78 could just fill the 83 system with air to release the parking knob on dash if you have a way to connect a air hose on your truck now ! With a reg 50 ft air line from home ! It will take a little time to fill the the 83 but much easier than cageing the p brake cans .
You're reinventing the wheel. Glad hand to glad hand air lines are readily available off the shelf in most truck stops.

Your idea has merit for running air tools. Gladhand to female air line quickconnects are something to keep in the toolbox of every airbrake truck...

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You're reinventing the wheel. Glad hand to glad hand air lines are readily available off the shelf in most truck stops.

Your idea has merit for running air tools. Gladhand to female air line quickconnects are something to keep in the toolbox of every airbrake truck...
Yea i just was thinking if he didnt have them he still had options till he gets all the EXTRAS you wind up with over time ! If hes never towed a truck with truck he wouldnt have the pair of double glad hand lines laying around !

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea i just was thinking if he didnt have them he still had options till he gets all the EXTRAS you wind up with over time ! If hes never towed a truck with truck he wouldnt have the pair of double glad hand lines laying around !
I grabbed a set of those from amazon. But todays problem is the working 1078 is dead now so Ive got to figure that out tomorrow.

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think some spirit must be pissed at me. So Had the crack in my block fixed last week.. Drove it about 150miles no problem. Park it and now its dead. The starter I had bought was acting crazy only clicking sometimes and other times starting fine. So I got a new starter. Just clicks... Battery voltage was low and the batteries looked old so I swapped in 4 new group 24. Now the starter spins but doesnt even attempt to move and engage. So if I dont get this one going then im going to have a big problem in getting the inoperable one moved now that my main one is also inoperable.

aw113sgte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think some spirit must be pissed at me. So Had the crack in my block fixed last week.. Drove it about 150miles no problem. Park it and now its dead. The starter I had bought was acting crazy only clicking sometimes and other times starting fine. So I got a new starter. Just clicks... Battery voltage was low and the batteries looked old so I swapped in 4 new group 24. Now the starter spins but doesnt even attempt to move and engage. So if I dont get this one going then im going to have a big problem in getting the inoperable one moved now that my main one is also inoperable.
How did you end up fixing the crack?

JRKJeeper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The crack was from an over torqued oil pan bolt most likely. It went right from the bolt hole up about 2.5 inches behind the starter. Found a person who does that sort of skilled welding. Had to pull starter and oil dipstick tube. Pull the power steering res, drop the oil pan. Then he was able to work both sides of the crack. So that was all fixed. But now it went from running like a champ but misting oil to no leaks but doesn’t start! I had bought a quick find Chinese replacement starter and it just spins and doesn’t engage. I bought he exact one that came out of it today to see if it’s an issue of not matching up right. Otherwise I’ll be up a creek.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks