• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce on a trailer

NoLeftTurns

I have searched the forums a bit but I can't find any threads addressing this specifically. My first question is, do any of you know a good source for trailer and towing information?

I am interested in moving a deuce on a trailer, but I have never done this before. Can anyone suggest the appropriate type of vehicle and trailer necessary? I am trying not to kill myself or anyone else. As I am understanding, the average capacity for say my f250 diesel is like #23,000 gross. I think that means #14k for a deuce would leave me about #9,000 for a trailer. Is this right? Is there a trailer with this type of capacity under this weight? I assume even if there was I would need a weight distributing hitch? Or pintle? Then what is a truck like this going to drive like fully loaded? I am assuming this is not a viable option.

So... Do any of you have experience putting deuces on trailer/trucks? I am wanting to know if I should look for a flatbed tow truck, gooseneck trailer with a dually, or lowboy trailer with a semi. I have to travel 2 mountain passes, but obviously cost is a major concern. Is there something I can rent myself to do this task or am I stuck paying someone a lot?

Flat towing is not an option due to bad dry rot in tires. Bad loading location and unknown truck condition, so I prefer the smallest rig I can comfortably get away with.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How far do you need to go?

How often will you need to trailer them?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would pay someone to do it for me if I could afford it. If I were doing it myself I would not get the smallest rig to get by with, I'd get the biggest. I would rather have the capacity and braking power and not need it than to get on a pass somewhere and find out I went too cheap.

I would use a 1-ton with a fifth wheel as a minimum or get our friend with a drop deck semi-trailer and his road tractor.

Westech

CPL
I hauled a few deuces and 5 tons on a 35 foot 20K goose neck trailer and my 2500Hd diesel. No problem but it was heavy. I was at or over the max for my 2500. if you are moving it just one time it maybe more cost effective to hire a low boy type semi to move it.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hauled a few deuces and 5 tons on a 35 foot 20K goose neck trailer and my 2500Hd diesel. No problem but it was heavy. I was at or over the max for my 2500. if you are moving it just one time it maybe more cost effective to hire a low boy type semi to move it.

You know what would work even better? Having a working M915 with a trailer.

:)

NoLeftTurns

I need to go 250 miles. Lots of up and down through either route. One is mostly interstate and one is mostly two lane highway.

Hopefully after I transport the truck, I will be able to keep it serviced to drive the 250 miles if I need to again.

Swbradly1 - I can afford the transport, but would really rather save some money for repairs. Of course those repairs will be really expensive if I runaway down a hill into the creek. I guess I more meant the smallest trailer I could get away with and the appropriate powered vehicle.

Thank you all for the input. It sounds like a 1 ton may be an option in some cases, but probably not a good idea here. Does anyone know about a flatbed tow truck? Is that unheard of? Too tall or heavy?

I am hesitant to use a shipper because I really don't want people at the land it's on. I also am concerned about weather conditions and loading location. I am not sure a semi will make it there with a trailer. I really need one of what I am recovering (M275).

Any idea of cost per mile for a semi with lowboy? I will check uship but can I tell what setup they plan to use?

Mcmullag - do your friends rent out for a recovery? Maybe they would be interested in a side job?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A large rollback truck would be able to haul them, if they are cargo trucks(not an M109).

Attachments

NoLeftTurns

Unfortunately there are barely people around the area let alone contractors. The only trucks I see are full of mining equipment both ways. It's the kind of place where you know people have the stuff and can do it, but I don't know any of them, and don't have the means to make friends with the locals. If I could put it on a coal rail car I would be set.

Dog head you answered my question. And with a picture at that! Now, how did it drive loaded like that? I have an M275 but unfortunately it has an m109 box on the back. I assume that puts it over 12 ft or whatever the limits are. I guess I might be be dumping the box and putting the cargo bed back on.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you don't want people to go where the truck is, then tow it out to the road where it can be loaded. A goose neck trailer big enough to haul a 13,000 lb deuce is going to weigh 6 or 7 K. that and the deuce are 20K more or less. Your F250 weighs about 7K, maybe more (my F350 SRW 4X4 short bed is 7K), so now you are pretty far past your GVW of 23K. GVWR includes the tow vehicle.

For a one time deal I would get it shipped. Unless you can rent or borrow a trailer big enough; but then you are over loaded. If I was only going a short distance, I would probably not worry about the overload. 250 miles is a little far.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you removed everyhing from inside the box ? The camper conversion is going to bring the weight well above #14,000 . I wouldn't consider moving it through the mountains with a 1 ton and a gooseneck , Hire a semi or put some good tires on it and have a wrecker haul it.

There are pictures of the inside of the box in these threads ; M275? What will it cost me? Pictures
Diamond in the Rough, or Rough cut Diamond

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The truck (post # 10) hauled it just fine. completely legal, weight and height.

An M109 would be too tall to do that.

I have haued a few M109 trucks on my 10 ton equipment trailer. It's deck height is around 30". That works well and is legal.

Maybe you could contact a local(one end or the other) excavation or paving company, and ask if they would be interested in hauling it for you.

Attachments

NoLeftTurns

My first thought was to tow it to the road however it is on a fairly steep grade with a no brake pedal as of now. I don't want it uphill from the nice f250. I will hopefully remedy this on Saturday with a pressure bleed. I am only looking for enough pedal to get about 1/4 mile down to the road. I would have to guess the grade is a good 8% or more and not friendly terrain.

Thanks for the info on the gvw. I guess it makes sense gross would include the tow vehicle. I had no idea what trailers weighed either.

Yea the box is still FULL of crap. I was debating just chaining it to a tree, unbolting it, and driving away. There is a spare cargo bed I can replace with. But I can drive back and get this stuff after I get the truck home for repairs.

I just looked at uship and estimates didn't look too bad. I will have to get a quote it appears. Do you think I would have better luck with a construction or excavating company?

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to haul a deuce 700 miles with an F450 and a 20K gooseneck. There are some large hills along the way. I am using a friend's truck and trailer. He owns and operates an industrial machine shop and construction company. Do you know anybody that moves a backhow around? Someone with a dump truck and trailer for a backhoe should be able to get it done and they are in the business of renting themselves and their equipment out.

Good Luck

Coalman

I hauled my m35a3 about 200miles on a 25 foot deck over and a f-650 dump it probably weighted about 32000 Unless you are a gabling man I would not even thick about it with a 250 series truck It will pull it just fine but if you have to stop quick or if it gets swaying your gonna be in a world of trouble You should be able to get that hauled for about 2-3 bucks a mile Good luck

Heavysteven

Took my truck to the dump empty with fuel, tarp, small tools, etc weighted 14k. I recommend a f350 dually and gooseneck. Now if you have got some serious money 2012 King Ranch F450 and
Gooseneck. For sure a powerstroke as well.