• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce

jluv1185

Has anyone towed a deuce any length of distance with a 3/4 ton truck? I have a 2002 ford f250 crewcab fx4, and have hauled heavier loads by way of gooseneck. I know when towing a deuce there would be no down pressure applied to my truck. So i was wondering about the stopping factor? The last thing i want is to be facing the wrong way with the deuce passing me up...:-(

jluv1185

Not "experience" talking here, simply because I would NEVER do anything so foolishly insane :cookoo: Such an endeavor would far exceed the GVWR and Towed Load Ratings, AND Braking Potential.... hence...... Which funeral home would you prefer using:?:

:doh:aua2cents

PLEASE practice this hobby SAFELY:!:
So what your really trying to say is...wear my seatbelt?

poppop

Not a good idea. Once that 13000 pounds is rolling it does not want to stop. It will push you around like you arn't even there. Also a duece does not steer well on anything but pavement. The front wheels will turn the opposite way on turns and bring you to a stop.

Reactions: emr

KsM715

Without a trailer under it to provide braking there is no safe way to flat tow a deuce with a 3/4t truck. It will push you right thru any intersection and spin you around at the first turn.

dittle

I was towing a deuce with my deuce last year. As I was turing off a paved road onto a gravel road the towed deuce decided to continue straight a head versus following me. It slide my deuce to the side a little bit before it turned and followed. Just think what it will do to your 3/4 ton pickup. I have a F350 and wouldn't try this with it.

jluv1185

So about 10 miles towing a deuce with a f250 is a no go. Go it! Thats why i asked. I figured i would ask, rather than just doing, and be seen on the news. It wouldn't be good pr for mver's.... Thanks for the input...even you coldwarrior. Although a lil less harsh would have been nice. :mrgreen:

poppop

If ten miles is all you have to go put a driver in it if the brakes work and go slow. You also can put it in gear and hold the clutch in then let the clutch out to stop. But this only applies on roads that are not busy. I once towed my C60 Chevy 12 miles home when the engine blew and it had a 15000. pound load on it. I used my K3500 Chevy one ton, went slow and had a driver in it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Can you tow a deuce with your F250? Yes.

Should you tow a deuce with your F250? No!!!!

How far can you tow a deuce with an F250? All the way to the scene of the crash.

Never tow a larger vehicle with a smaller one....the laws of inertia will beat you every time.

If you opt to do it PM me and I will send you the info needed to include me in your will.

Also post your route and time of departure so I can make it a point to not be there.

All the "hold my beer and watch this" guys are rooting for ya.rofl

LanceRobson

There are a lot of site members in LA. I'd start a thread with a title like ""Need M35 towed near XXXX" and see what happens.

As far as using a .45 because shooting twice is silly; I always shot until I saw the desired effect, then reloaded.

Lance

P.S. Save the partial magazines. You may need them. ;-)

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So about 10 miles towing a deuce with a f250 is a no go. Go it! Thats why i asked. I figured i would ask, rather than just doing, and be seen on the news. It wouldn't be good pr for mver's.... Thanks for the input...even you coldwarrior. Although a lil less harsh would have been nice. :mrgreen:
Harsh was not really my intent.... EMPHATIC was! the "visual" that went with your proposal reminded me of the lyrics to the theme song from M*A*S*H..... "...But suicide is painless. It brings on many changes...."

Hence, please don't do that to yourself - or to any innocent bystanders either.

Good luck on your recovery:jumpin:

jasonjc

That 1 ton looks like the front wheels are off the ground.

I once towed a deuce with a crane and laundry trailer with my 1/2ton pu.

vtdeucedriver

If its only 10 miles, can you work on it enough to drive it on its own power????

When I bought my M54A2, had a friend flat tow it with his dump truck. He had to wait a couple of days as he wanted a load of stone in the bed before he attempted.

emr

The deul wheels on the wrecker towing the 5 ton means Alot. but to be honest not enough, that picture does not mean it was safe . It was not, SO for the question here, NO, but if it is NOT on a public road and there will be no liability to u or anybody nelse, do it, But remember when/if more like when... but people do get away with some pretty stupid things sometimes.... There is damage to human or truck, there is no one else to blame, it really is all up to u, thanks for asking, ... Oh one more thing, take a look at your back tires, and look at the front tires of the deuce, will those tires on your truck muscle that deuce tire with that multi on em and turn those big tires for U or will they slide like on ice when that deuce pushes U to next year....

Last edited:

jluv1185

Understood... Dont worry everyone, im not going to attempt it. I told my buddy he's going to just have to fork out the cash and get a wrecker, or find another truck bigger than mine. (Its his deuce) I would do almost anything for a friend, but if its that unsafe i'll have to pass on this one. Thanks for all the advise.

rat4spd

A friend of my father in law brings 300 small bales of hay in on a 40 foot gooseneck behind a F250 dually. I'd imagine rather illegal, but been doing it for years. Of course them big brakes on that trailer negate the stopping problem.