• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a deuce??

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've pulled close to 100 deuces on my triple axle 21K gooseneck behind my 3/4 ton with no problems. As long as the trailer and truck brakes are working properly it works great. I'm not sure if the trailer you are talking about is big enough for hauling a deuce. Remember, a trailer that is rated at say 14,000 lbs can NOT haul 14,000 lbs, you have to take the weight of the trailer plus the weight of the load to get your overall figure.
Including one of my deuces! Thanks again and hndrsonj thanks you too!

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have towed my M-61 5 ton with my 85 F250 with the old 6.9L idi all over Montana on my 25' 8,000lb trailer getting 6mpg :D. It really doesnt like it with the front of the truck on the neck end. but it i put the front going off the rear of the trailer it pulls like a champ. Just doesnt like very long hills. Great Falls to Miles City 310miles and Miles City to Kalispell 550 miles and never had any issues. Posted a video of my F250 pulling it around as well as some pics of other things my old rickety ford has pulled. I will admit stopping is the fun part, nothing worse than some jack#@# pulling out in front of you and stopping in the middle of the road. Just drive aware and tick everyone off behind ya while you roll coal at your slow speed :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcisfOShsk[/media]

Attachments

Last edited:

mudguppy

I agree w/ Scott - you need at least a 20k trailer. as long as the truck is rated for the GVW of the GN pin weight and trailer brakes are good, you should be fine.

this is how I plan on rolling...

3dAngus

I shredded a perfectly good tire just pulling a car one time. The tire was on my truck, not the trailer, so I might have had the car to far forward, or, unbalanced weight where the tongue weight was to high. Not sure. You should have a dually for safety. The 350 series would pull it through small mountains. I don't think I would pull it that far with a single axle truck. To much weight behind it.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled my M109 home from Barstow over 100 miles on a 5th wheel trailer behind a F-350 super duty. The trailer was a 20' +- dual axle dual tire equipment trailer rated for 20K pounds. It had really good brakes on it. Front to back GVCW was around 23K. If you were going to try it, I would definitely suggest you get something bigger then an F-250....and I would recommend it be a HD dually for stability. Also get a trailer with a rating at least 5K lbs heavier then your truck.... just my2cents
Looking at the pics you posted, I'd venture to say that you may have exceded legal load height limits, now I don't have a maesurin' stick handy, just sayin'

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In NY we have some fairly restrictive towing/driving laws. After seeing some of the pics and comments posted here, I'm pretty happy that we have such restrictive laws!

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed my M-61 5 ton with my 85 F250 with the old 6.9L idi all over Montana on my 25' 8,000lb trailer getting 6mpg :D. It really doesnt like it with the front of the truck on the neck end. but it i put the front going off the rear of the trailer it pulls like a champ. Just doesnt like very long hills. Great Falls to Miles City 310miles and Miles City to Kalispell 550 miles and never had any issues. Posted a video of my F250 pulling it around as well as some pics of other things my old rickety ford has pulled. I will admit stopping is the fun part, nothing worse than some jack#@# pulling out in front of you and stopping in the middle of the road. Just drive aware and tick everyone off behind ya while you roll coal at your slow speed :D

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihcisfOShsk[/media]
First off with the pictures you posted I'm glad I'm in michigan and your in montana. But if you ever come to michigan and pull loads like in the pictures the state will balance their budget with the fines they levy on you .

Josh

If ya got a stout enough trailer to handle the weight, I'd say go for it. The only real difference between a srw 1ton and 3/4ton are the springs. Having towed a 48ft toyhauler with a srw f350 over 4500miles grossing around 29klbs. It did help the trailer was a quad axle with hydraulic disks, with the propersteps taken it can be done. If you don't have experience towing such loads it can be a sketchy ride but If ya have the proper tires on the truck, a capable trailer and have experience towing heavy, then go for it.

SMOKEWAGON66

Looking at the pics you posted, I'd venture to say that you may have exceeded legal load height limits, now I don't have a maesurin' stick handy, just sayin'
This was definitely not how I wanted to get my truck home, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...within reason and safety of course. I am a trained professional, licensed and certified to do this sort of thing.

The height was very close...but it was legal...trust me, I checked. All in all, it was about 1/2" shorter then a dry van hooked to a Kenworth. This load looks a little precarious I know, but it is balanced properly forward and back, and as close to side to side as I could get it. I chained it with 14K lbs chains and ratcheting binders. I really wanted to use a truck with duallys but this is all I could get. I would do it differently if I could have. Next time I have to tow my truck, it will be done with a better truck. :beer:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was definitely not how I wanted to get my truck home, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...within reason and safety of course. I am a trained professional, licensed and certified to do this sort of thing.

The height was very close...but it was legal...trust me, I checked. All in all, it was about 1/2" shorter then a dry van hooked to a Kenworth. This load looks a little precarious I know, but it is balanced properly forward and back, and as close to side to side as I could get it. I chained it with 14K lbs chains and ratcheting binders. I really wanted to use a truck with duallys but this is all I could get. I would do it differently if I could have. Next time I have to tow my truck, it will be done with a better truck. :beer:
VERY true, since you are a trained professional, licensed and certified to do that sort of thing. I wouldn't have any problem with that at all. [thumbzup]

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah Montana has pretty easy laws. As long as you done exceed 2x your axle weight per axle on the trailer you are fine. Most DOT officers will tell you that you can weigh whatever you want in a civilian truck as long as you are not towing for profit. Then you are required to have a CDL and yeah on my towing trip from across the state with my 5 ton it was night most of the trip and I think I passed a total of 11 cars the whole 550 mile trip.

Here is a helpful link

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
man you will need cdl class a towing over 10,000 lbs check your state you will fall under fed law across state line
Only if you are towing commercially (i.e., you are being paid to do it). If you tow for personal (non-commercial) purposes, all you need is the appropriate endorsement for your DL.

When I haul my antique Caterpillars to California for antique tractor shows, my Class "F" endorsement (loaded trailers over 10K pounds) is sufficient, as long as the equipment is all mine and I'm not being paid to haul anything for anyone else. Also, the GCW must not exceed the vehicle's manufacturer stated GCW.

But most 3/4-ton and 1-ton pickups nowadays are rated to safely tow well over 10K pounds, and newer 1/2-ton pickups are being uprated to tow nearly 10K pounds.

For the OP, if you've never hauled heavy loads with pickups before, I'd say don't do it...follow the other posters' advice and rent an F-450 with dual rears to tow that gooseneck trailer. What is the trailer rated to haul? Have you checked its brakes? For loads that heavy, you better have brakes on every trailer axle (some older trailers only have brakes on one axle). Do you have proper chains and ratchet binders to secure your load? That is just as important, for if the load shifts or bounces, it could induce sway and instability, as well as the top-heaviness making it even more unpredictable...you've got to be able to solidly tie down that Deuce so the springs don't rebound after going over a bump in the road. Good thing you're not driving in California, those freeways and roads are so rough and torn up that your truck & trailer will be constantly bouncing most of the way.

And if you're not sure, then place the front of the Deuce first on the trailer, closest to your towing rig. Only place the engine rearward on your trailer if you thoroughly know your trailer & towing rig, and have experience doing so.

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah Montana has pretty easy laws. As long as you done exceed 2x your axle weight per axle on the trailer you are fine. Most DOT officers will tell you that you can weigh whatever you want in a civilian truck as long as you are not towing for profit. Then you are required to have a CDL and yeah on my towing trip from across the state with my 5 ton it was night most of the trip and I think I passed a total of 11 cars the whole 550 mile trip.

Here is a helpful link

http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Plus in states like yours, the high percentage of ranchers and farmers dictate just how rigidly the towing regulations are enforced (or not).

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Plus in states like yours, the high percentage of ranchers and farmers dictate just how rigidly the towing regulations are enforced (or not).
yeah there is only 222 highway patrol officers and 135 DOT officers for the whole state.

Last edited:

m37dsl

I have had good luck moving deuces on my gooseneck. Trailer has 2 12K dexter axles well capable of supporting and stopping the load. As mentioned above they 2500 3500 differences are mainly in the rear suspension but it really depends on what make of truck. My 02 2500 with a few towing modifications works.

Lesson learned they tow alot smoother when loaded backwards!

Attachments