• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a fifth wheel toy hauler w/ LMTV

Poolboy 7631

First post, looking for direction. Starting to plan for retirement and the plan is travel the states with a toy hauler. Last night I conjured up this idea of getting LMTV, putting a fifth wheel plate in/on the bed and using it as a tow vehicle. Looking at a GVWR on the toy hauler of 20,000 lbs. Before doing too much research, I am looking for input. Not afraid of brutal honesty, so bring it. Thanks ahead of time, this may save my long days of going down a rabbit hole to only be disappointed in the end.

Crazyguyla

The LMTV bed isn't designed for things to be bolted to it. We ran into this problem when our unit turned in deuces for LMTVs. You'd have to fabricate a mounting plate for the fifth wheel.

Third From Texas

someone put a goose neck ball on the A1's extendable hitch. All I know is it worked....... but have not heard how well.
I thought I had that "bumper fifth wheel" bookmarked but I don't see it.

I'd love to do a full custom fifth wheel bed, but as pointed out you'd be pretty damned tall.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
First post, looking for direction. Starting to plan for retirement and the plan is travel the states with a toy hauler. Last night I conjured up this idea of getting LMTV, putting a fifth wheel plate in/on the bed and using it as a tow vehicle. Looking at a GVWR on the toy hauler of 20,000 lbs. Before doing too much research, I am looking for input. Not afraid of brutal honesty, so bring it. Thanks ahead of time, this may save my long days of going down a rabbit hole to only be disappointed in the end.
Other than height, what about brakes on the trailer? Guessing that most toy haulers are electric brakes. You will need to install a trailer brake controller - and most of those are for hydraulic (standard vehicle) brakes. You would need an air actuated controller. I did a quick search and didn't find one?? so that might be a real problem.

WITH MORE DIGGING, I found a Hayes Brake H79-100400C Air Actuated Controller
Good bit more expensive than a "pickup truck" controller.

Last edited:

Third From Texas

Other than height, what about brakes on the trailer? Guessing that most toy haulers are electric brakes. You will need to install a trailer brake controller - and most of those are for hydraulic (standard vehicle) brakes. You would need an air actuated controller. I did a quick search and didn't find one?? so that might be a real problem.
I've seen folks add electronic brakes to LMTVs.

Never really looked into the specifics, but it's been done.

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I added electric breaks to my M934. I already had a 12 volt system for the camper section so I have a good 12 source. I used a 24 volt relay that operates with the break lights. The relay switches 12 volts to the controller. I use a Draw Tight controller that has graduated output when the breaks are applied. I tow a 32' covered trailer with a M37 and M151 inside. The loaded trailer is around 13,000 lb. The breaks work very good. I would not tow that kind of load without them. Instead of a fifth wheel could you use a straight hitch toy hauler? I don't even know if they make such a thing. I mounted a class 5 hitch on my 934. It turns out that a GMC 3500 has the same frame rail width as our AM General 5 tons. I set the ball height to match my F250 so the trailer sits level.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Here is a photo of my “toy hauler”…
View attachment 845984
That's a nice looking rig!
PLENTY of room to haul stuff along with a place to hang your hat if you get tired.

Kinda interesting that there is an adjustable intensity from just the light bulb wire to energize the trailer brakes. The ones I have seen and installed were cut into the brake line. The harder you press the brake, the more action in the trailer braking. That air operated version does the same thing (after I did some reading). The one in my one ton van has a hydraulic and you can actually see the lever move to the right during braking.

It always amazes me what people can create with a little ingenuity :cool:

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe that brakes and lights would be best done with a 12v/24v converter and use the electric trailer brakes.

As far as the hitch issue, would the tractor version of the lmtv be an option? Or the same hitch height issue? If low enough, then would tires clear the trailer in a turn?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I believe that brakes and lights would be best done with a 12v/24v converter and use the electric trailer brakes.

As far as the hitch issue, would the tractor version of the lmtv be an option? Or the same hitch height issue? If low enough, then would tires clear the trailer in a turn?
The LMTV tractor, M-1088 will be really tall too at almost 5 feet. These trucks, the Stewart & Stevensons followed later by Oshkosh were built to have 90% of the same components. Frame rails, brakes, air systems, seats, lights, all the "common" parts. The beds are what gives each model its "character". So, aside from all my rambling - they are all pretty much the same height.

You could build a drop hitch. Several of the guys have done that.

1632344838528.png

This particular one is the M-1088 that has a drop hitch and a 5th wheel ball on it along with the pintle hitch.

Last edited:

eric67camino

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LMTV tractor (M1088) will be tall too at almost 5 feet. These trucks, the Stewart & Stevensons followed later by Oshkosh were built to have 90% of the same components. Frame rails, brakes, air systems, seats, lights, all the "common" parts. The beds are what gives each model its "character". So, aside from all my rambling - they are all pretty much the same height.
Makes sense. I wasn't sure if the hitch mounted I'm the bed of the 2.5 ton M1078 would be higher that mounted on top of the frame rails of the 5 ton M1088. My thought was that losing the bed thickness might shave some height.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Makes sense. I wasn't sure if the hitch mounted I'm the bed of the 2.5 ton M1078 would be higher that mounted on top of the frame rails of the 5 ton M1088. My thought was that losing the bed thickness might shave some height.
The picture (Post #13) that I finally found actually drops almost a foot of height - down to the frame rails.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor

LMTVs have both 12pin 24v and 12v 7 round plugs

TomTime

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you go... Look at #6, #7 and #9

...and this...

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks