• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing a HEMTT MK-48

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend who recently purchased several MK-48 HEMTT's. He is going to attempt to drive one with a tractor trailer attachment, then tow a tractor only behind it with a HEMTT pintle towbar (IBIS Tek). Has anyone out there tried to tow a tractor only MK-48 with no attachment trailer? Are there issues with steering? This is a slow and low exercise with an experienced driver. He will probably do it anyway but wanted me to see if i could find anyone who may have attempted such a feat before. It may make for some good pictures if not!!!! Hopefully not on the front page of the news :)'

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
These things are squirrelly when they are hooked to a trailer. I loaded several of the cab units onto trailers and the pucker factor was very high.

Being that he will be pulling a very short wheelbased vehicle with two steering axles the disaster potential is very high. I'd load it on a trailer and call it good.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a friend who recently purchased several MK-48 HEMTT's. He is going to attempt to drive one with a tractor trailer attachment, then tow a tractor only behind it with a HEMTT pintle towbar (IBIS Tek). Has anyone out there tried to tow a tractor only MK-48 with no attachment trailer? Are there issues with steering? This is a slow and low exercise with an experienced driver. He will probably do it anyway but wanted me to see if i could find anyone who may have attempted such a feat before. It may make for some good pictures if not!!!! Hopefully not on the front page of the news :)'
Find the appropriate operators manuals (TMs), the guidance contained within will keep something bad from happening.

Last edited:

Augdog1964

All Mk48s only have one steering axle, the rest of the steering is done by the hydraulic articulation based on the steering wheel position. Owning, using, and driving a Mk48 (NOT HEMTT) and transferring an FPU to another trailer by driving... I'd say he's nuts trying to pull one of these... experienced or not. IMHO

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ibis tek does not make the MK48 tow bar from what I understand. The Mk48 and mvtr square tube tow bars are made by Oshkosh. I believe the square tow bar is rated to 88K.

ryanaubra

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It ought to be interesting to say the least. Pardon my faux pas in calling an MK48 a HEMTT - along the same lines of calling any soft drink a coke - a big heavy 8-wheel drive military truck. HEMTT-MK-48 - whatever. The point of the conversation was to see if anyone had any experience in moving a tractor with no trailer and how it behaves. Thanks to all of you for any useful input.

Shark Bait

I own an MK48 and wouldn't recommend it at all, i do not believe it wouldbe stable. But i am no expert. I do have some ofte Oshkosh tow bars for the MK, they are the heavy square ones. If he does do it, get video!

RobertoGatos

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If he got a bunch of them, maybe put a FPU on a coupled flat bed RBU and tow the tractor RBU with the adapter pintle. I've got 11 hours of driving to pick mine up, and have though about towing it with a tru-hitch. Have some other bits to grab along the way so it'll most likely wind up on a trailer behind my 5ton.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO, I would not tow just the FPU, It will want to nose down EVERY time the brakes are applied. the tow brackets are mounted low, also the CORRECT tow bar is the LVS tow bar, do not think the steer axle will steer with the tb.

Also for whoever said that they were going to put a FPU on a trailer behind a 5t, be REAL CAREFUL stopping on the trailer, it will want to nose over when braking is there is any wheel rock (movement).

Wm and I dealt with about 20 of these beast in FL. a few years ago, the pucker factor did not get better

Hoefler

I would not tow a MK 48 FPU without it being coupled with an MK trailer. Thats an accident waiting to happen. Further, MK48's are great off road, but require lots of attention on road. I limit mine to maximum 50 MPH. If you do not have driving experience with an MK, it would be best to have them trailered home. It takes a bit of getting used to driving one of these monsters-the driver sits in front of the axels, only one of the front axels turn and articulation rear of that-its a strange visual when driving at first. But after getting used to it-these things are agile through tight spots given their size.
Don't be cheap and risk a motorist life with a simple logistics deal.
Pete

Artisan

IMO;

The operators manual TM is this I believe;
TM 08780B-10

In it, it says;

"Lift and tow operations must always be conducted at a speed which the
operator determines to be safe under existing conditions. In no event
should the operator exceed 15 mph (24 kph) when lifting and towing
a disabled vehicle. "

The speed lower limit on freeways is 45mph I believe.

I did not search for towing just the FPU, but "my" common
sense says that it is an accident waiting to happen. If
there was an incident and a lawyer reads the TM
and they prove you were over 15mph or
they get a letter from Oshkosh that
says DO NOT FLAT TOW AN FPU ONLY,
your buddy will be toast.

Patracy said it first, alls well till you need to stop,
THEN you will have a clusterpuck.

I think you said the complete unit is a 48/16 combo
a "tractor trailer attachment" . So it is a 5th wheel
at the rear yes? Well I think that 5th wheel is a 3.5"
pin FWIW.

RDUKW

Absolutely do not tow a FPU only. Time to call a landoll in to move them.

P.S. A HEMTT and MK48 are two completely different vehicles.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The mk FPU has a duckbill on the rear to mate into a socket on the RPU

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks