• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M101 with my Crown Vic Station Wagon

Mike_Pop

I picked up an M101 with surge brakes and wanted to tow it with my Crown Vic station wagon. I really wanted an M416 but the price for the M101 was too good to pass up. I'm making yet another cross country trip from NJ to NV in a couple months. A couple questions:
1. Any suggestions on towing upgrades? (I've already got load leveling coil shocks on the car)
2. Can a class III hitch be installed on a wagon? (of course I will have to get a pintle receiver)
3. Would I need stabilizer bars or other towing equipment?

Anyone with station wagon towing experience that can chime in, I appreciate it.

Thanks!

m.walker

I had a crown vic wagon and towed all kinds of stuff . I had a trans cooler , 2" receiver style hitch , cargo coils and air bags in the rear . It was a great car for towing ( heavy and long ) . If you aren't loading the trailer too heavy it should be OK . I don't think you'll need stabilizers , just don't have too much tongue weight . I pulled a car on a trailer with mine and it did fine !

acetomatoco

A crown vic wagon...must be a Country Squire. Has to 1991 or earlier... good cars. I have towed 30000 miles or more with the CVPIs. You can get air shocks for the rear and they work really well...I carried a little 12 compressor and adjusted them to fit the load. There are bolt on class 3 or 4 hitches available for about $1C. You get the pintle hook adaptor which allows you to mount the pintle about 8 inches above the hitch and off you go..level ride and all is good. Is nice if you have the M101A2 (M116A2 surge brake) Chassis and the cucv wheels, but a bunch of us have towed the old 900 16s with no brakes all over the country.... One trip from NY to Wichita for the MVPA national convention a few years back with a 1987 Crown Vic. Cop brakes, cop shocks, cop springs, cop oil coolers, etc to quote Elwood Blues.

Mike_Pop

ACE,cucv

Did you have any problem with sway when you pulled the 101A1? The trailer I have is an M116A2 with the CUCV wheels and I will put some 18" high sides on it. I'm hauling some metal Jeep tops and some tools, not much weight, maybe 1,000 lbs.

The car I have is just a regular 1987 CV wagon. If it were a Country Squire, it would be worth twice as much. I picked this one up for $900 last year with the intent on flipping it but I liked it so much I kept it. It just turned over 100,000 miles and the interior is showroom condition. An old guy owned it. I also have a 1985 CV sedan with the police package. It's a great car with the 351 but the rings are worn from idling a lot. It too only has 100K.

Mike_Pop

I've got load leveling coil shocks all around. I usually keep the tires inflated to what is recommended on the tire.

Thanks for the advice, I just wanted to know if anyone had done this before and if it were feasible on a wagon that doesn't have a towing package.