• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M101A with a Cover

Columbia10

I've searched all over the place, so I apologize if this has been addressesd in another thread. I have a brand new heavy duty Mil cover for my M101a1, and I was wondering if it was a good idea to tow it with it on. Aside from the reduced fuel efficiency, and assuming I tie it down sufficiently, what do you all think? I'm heading out soon for a camping trip and would like to pull it with the cover on to protect my supplies. Thanks in advance for any help!

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year, I towed an M101 with cover on for 2000 miles(one trip) at 65-70 mph. No damage or wear that I can tell. You'll be fine with it on.

3dAngus

Would probably make a big difference if you towed with a small pickup vs a deuce with a cover on it creating a wind chute around the trailer, rather than on it.

If tight, it should not be a problem. I would take it with your towing vehicle down the road after securing the cover, and give it a shot before you leave the house. Maybe you might detect something.

edit: Just read emmado'ss post. I had a couple of old ones, lifted them up and dragged on the ground, and the seams (thread) ripped loose, so the older, the more risk of seams ripping. And if they start to go, you'll be doing an interstate pickup. Newer covers are not usually a problem with ripping, but again, test, test, test.

Last edited:

Ratch

They were made to be towed behind half-tons with the cover on. I towed an A1 with the cover on at 70mph for 3 hours on several occasions. No problems except 8 mpg...

Ressoldier

Columbia10- I plan on using my M101 for camping also and will be driving with the Tarp and bows on to protect my goods and also act as a tent at night. The tighter you get the better off you are as any slack will let it beat itself to death and tear. Now if you are talking about during tte recovery or just normal use I would leave the tarp off to help mileage and reduce wear and tear on it. One of the key things to making these last as long as possible is storing it properly when not on vehicle or trailer.
What are you planning to tow with? If you are towing with a smaller vehicle or pick-up the trailer with tarp will be more noticeable(drag) than without the tarp. If you are driving a SUV or MV than the drag will be less.

Barrman

As mentioned above. The top is like a drag chute when it comes to top speed and mpg's. If that doesn't bother you, go for it.

Columbia10

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be pulling it with a Jeep Commander, so the top of the trailer wil definitely cause some drag. I have the tarp nice and tight, and will keep an eye on it as I'm heading down the road. I was thinking about just taking it off weather permitting, but being a lazy SOB, I don't feel like putting it back on when I arrive. :wink: I lined the floor with carpet too, so keeping moisture out is imperative!

Ripcord01

Columbia10- It is nice to know you like the trailer. Did you change the wheels out? Got any pics of the trailer as you modified it. Have fun Camping! ..Kreg

fuzzyone28

I have pulled my m101a2 w/ cover from Phoenix to Colorado springs and back at about 75-80 mph, no problems at all. I think it was about a 1800 mile round trip. I was towing it with my 2007 Chevy HD.

Columbia10

Ripcord - I actually ended up buying another M101 a few days after I bought the one from you. I use one for hauling and the newest one for camping. Gotta say I'm hooked :D I'll post some pics shortly.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The picture on my avatar is a 105A2 I hooked up in Kansas and drove it to Michigan and the 1028 did not even know it was there. You should be fine. Make sure the trailer is level. I think thats important. Also you make use of every eye ring, your trailer has multiple tie down spots. I kinds sew mine on.

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
PCTRANS, I kept a picture of the rear of your M101, I like the dual taillights, I have a box of those lights and now I found a good use for them.Thanks for the idea.[thumbzup]

Cummins guy

Columbia10

I just towed my M101A2 with the cover on from Virginia to Michigan about 1000 miles each way with the cover on both ways. The cover did fine towing at about 70-75 mph. The only small thing I noticed was the 8 small straps (4 on the sides in the front & 4 in the back got a little torn up on the ends from slapping around. And yes the mile per gallon will go down a lot....

Columbia10

Thanks all. I completed a 3 hour trek today (with the cover on to boot) and am cozily bunked up in the woods in my m101 as we speak. man these things are great. Pics to follow once my Internet connection improves.