• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M101A with a Cover

Never towed the 101, just the 105. The A3 did not like it with the cover on. Mileage and performance were really down. If you have to tow it with cover, it must be very tight, or it will beat its self.to pieces in just a couple hundred miles. UV and Wind will ruin your cover, and their prices just keep going up, only.put.it on when absolutely necessary. Unless it is garage kept.

Most of these are not going to.DRMO, the guys are being ordered to cut them up. I have seen hundreds of them get cut up.here the last.few months on Bragg. Most of the small deuce parts like bearings and seals they are.beating up with hammers. What a waste. All going into the dumpsters, and/or recycling bins over next to Pope.

Last edited:

mrfishaholic

I have never had any issues towing with my cover on, I tow the Mountain Passes during hunting season with it on, 55-65mph 250-300 miles each way. They seem to look the same, just get a bit cold in the snow and freezing temps, and sometimes are a bit of a booger to get the knots out to open up when the ice/snow set into the rope straps. :grd:

Sierra51

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll be pulling it with a Jeep Commander, so the top of the trailer wil definitely cause some drag. I have the tarp nice and tight, and will keep an eye on it as I'm heading down the road. I was thinking about just taking it off weather permitting, but being a lazy SOB, I don't feel like putting it back on when I arrive. :wink: I lined the floor with carpet too, so keeping moisture out is imperative!
If the above statement in your quote is really imperative as you say....then I hope you have caulked/siliconed all the drain points in the trailer....because these things were never meant to be water-tight....that carpet will start to mildew and rot before you know it....

Barrman

Carpet on the floor makes 101, 105, M715 or M35 camping much more enjoyable in my experience. Especially on cold mornings. I got an 8' x 8' piece of carpet from Home Depot. They call it indor/outdoor carpet for tents. I call it Astroturf. Fits great in a M35 and has to be folded some for the other vehicles and trailers.

I have also found that carabiners and short chains will make the tail gate a little back porch. Great for setting you cooking gear on.

Columbia10

It's an outdoor carpet, and I can just roll it up when I'm finished. I guess I should have clarified that it needs to be weatherproof just when I'm in it :-D

Columbia10

Carpet on the floor makes 101, 105, M715 or M35 camping much more enjoyable in my experience. Especially on cold mornings. I got an 8' x 8' piece of carpet from Home Depot. They call it indor/outdoor carpet for tents. I call it Astroturf. Fits great in a M35 and has to be folded some for the other vehicles and trailers.

I have also found that carabiners and short chains will make the tail gate a little back porch. Great for setting you cooking gear on.
Great idea! Pulling the gate up from inside the trailer is a royal pain in the rear. I'm definitely looking into adding chains.

Barrman

Just attach to the chain on the trailer so you don't bend the tabs. Then attach at the tab on the trailer. My max loaded so far has been 600 pounds and no bends anywhere. Be sure you have a rear landing leg, the trailer hooked to a truck or at least 100 pounds at the very front. Otherwise, it will tip up on you. Don't know how I know that.

Ratch

...the guys are being ordered to cut them up. I have seen hundreds of them get cut up.here the last.few months on Bragg. Most of the small deuce parts like bearings and seals they are.beating up with hammers...

Why?!?! Is there any logical reason for it?
If you don't have to demil a trailer or complete duece, why the parts? Doesn't make any sense to me...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks