• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M105 with civy truck

chevycrew

The difference in gear is simple.

Old style has single large wheel and does not have the hand crank to raise/lower

Newer style has 2 smaller wheels and does include the hand crank.

Im not a big guy, but I dont doubt the tongue weight is close to 400lbs

I cant lift it off the ground, but can lift it a couple inches to hook it up.

nhdiesel

I would guess the weight at around 200 lbs., maybe less. I have one old style, and one new style, but it doesn't matter...they still have the same pivot and latch system, and my "new style" jack is frozen and doesn't adjust...most likely because the bonehead running the forklift in Maine bent it (as well as bending other items and breaking my lights).

Jim

D-Man

steelandcanvas said:
Either you guys are weight lifters or the 400# tongue weight is a crock. I didn't even try to lift mine, the guy I bought it from said don't even try. Maybe in a pinch?

No doubt that it is heavy, but I have had to lift it a few times and it is not impossible. So in a pinch you could lift it up enough to get it on the hitch. 400lbs. seems a bit high to me, though.

K5NUTT

Towed mine from arizona to colorado without a problem behind my 06 duramax. Fuel economy sucked bad as the 105 is a navy model and has an aluminum structure on it. Still passed everything i wanted to up hill! Course i wish i hadn't bought the darn think as what i really need is a 101A3....anyone want to trade?

DW

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My EUCs cleared pretty quick on my two M105s. I'll be using a SWEET pintle adaptor that gimpyrobb loaned me. (Thanks Chris!)

Now! I'm picking these up (one at a time) with my Jeep Cherokee. The hitch set-up is rated for 700 lbs. on the tongue and 2750 max. trailer weight.

Will I be o.k.? I'll be towing about 20 miles flat land. The 4.0 L in-line 6 has been a good engine for me. I'll be using some mag-mount towing lights.

Also, any word on how these trailers are for title and license? Is the PITA factor, high?

nhdiesel

You won't have any problem doing them one at a time. Hopefully the hitch gets them close to level. I once towed my Dodge Ram Cummins 4x4, loaded with scrap steel in the bed, almost 15 miles with my '98 Cherokee (on a trailer). The truck was heavy enough that my trailer was sagging pretty bad, and I took it VERY easy going down hills. Uphill with the 4.0 wasn't a problem. Total load behind the Jeep was around 11,500 lbs. (7k truck, 1500 trailer, 3k steel in the truck). No, it wasn't safe...no, I wouldn't reccomend that kind of load...but it shows what a Cherokee can do.

Jim

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The adaptor I have on loan has a 12" rise. The lunette(s) are both in the "up" position. I'm not going to flip them.

Sounds like I should be o.k.

Thanks!

mtnpatriot

emmado22 said:
Also, if you have a spare tire/rim for the M105, bring it.. That will guarantee you wont get a flat.
Does anyone know of where I might be able to find a couple spare wheels and tires? Also, do the M105A2's use the same bolt pattern as a commercial wheel? If so anyone know what size tire would fit? :?:

M1075

The wheels are large 6 hole pattern and the tires are 9.00x20, same as the deuce. Tires and wheels are readily available in the surplus market.

mtnpatriot

M1075 said:
The wheels are large 6 hole pattern and the tires are 9.00x20, same as the deuce. Tires and wheels are readily available in the surplus market.
I'm new to the game and have been looking but have only found one place that sells any, and they sell them in 10 count lots! I'm only looking for an extra wheel/tire or two. Can you point me in the right direction on where to look? Any links, or suggested publications?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, old style = one wheel, new style = 2 wheels. I pulled a 105 from Montgomery, AL to Columbia SC with an '02 F-150 at 60 miles an hour - got 15 mpg on the trip. I did put the tailgate down on the trailer and mounted the pair of magnetic lights where they could be seen. Pintle hitch I borrowed had about an 8 inch offset up which helped it ride a bit more level, but still pointed down at the front. The local U-Haul store had a pintle hitch with about a five inch offset available, but so should Tractor Supply and a number of similar stores. Ditto the idea of removing anything sticking up in the wind, if you don't, you'll pay at the pump.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bill,

If you had said something I could have gone with you to get both your trailers at once. You have seen two of the five I've pulled out here with my Dodge Hemi 4x4.

I have a hook for my tractor to move them around out here without the Deuce.

As for picking the tongue up I did it a couple of times on a 105 and at my age that's it for me. Carry a bottle jack or a hi-lift.

If you need any help let me know. Four of my trailers are from WPAFB. Brian or Dave are very helpful and they will use the forklift to put it on the hitch for you.

steve

oifvet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've discovered that grabbing the trailer just under the front edge of the front wall/bulkhead while facing forward on either side of the tongue, lifting with my legs isn't so bad. It's easier obviously with two people, but it works. It's easiest with max height in front.

The two grab handles in front on the tongue are for the younger power-lifters out there.

The Cherokee pulled it along pretty easy. A little hard to see around with my mirrors, but a duck 'n weave every mile or so was no problem.

Steve,

I can't tell you how many people ask me, "Hey, there's a guy out on old 35 with some military trailers. Do you know him?" They think I'm just playing with them when I say, "Yes!"

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
At least they didn't say there is some old guy out on 35 and not a guy out on old 35. :)

The new 48x80x14 barn goes up in about 8-10 more weeks and then everything has a nice dry home.

Woohoo!!

I think the 105s tow great behind my truck. I use more fuel though....a lot more. :-(

Never thought to use the body behind the tongue for lifting.