• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing an M37

AN/GRC-46

Does any one have any experience in towing an M37 using the military V-shaped towbar? It would be for a couple hundred miles. I figure to unlock the locking front hubs and disconnect the rear driveshaft. Would there be any precautions to be aware of? Does the vehicle track well or should the steering be locked?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes they will oversteer when turning, and the steering wheel will become cramped that requires you to stop, get out and straighten the steering wheel (ilke at a stop sign when turning a corner or in a parking lot) . To stop that I have put a couple of bungee cords on each side of the steering wheel, going opposite directions. That allows the wheel to turn, but helps it to turn back to center.

I don't have hubs, so front in 2-wheel-drive. I just put the T-case in neutral and go. Those were 100 mile trips.

m376x6

At speed on the road or highway they tow nicely. It's when you get into town or on a sharp slow turn, ususally from a stop, that the M37's I've towed will get the notion to go another direction. Just like Rosco stated, you'll know it right then and it's just a matter of stopping again and going back to turn the wheel in the direction you want it to go. I've towed them as far as 175 miles. Three from Glenwood Springs. Pulling the rear driveshaft and freeing the front hubs isn't necessary but will help an awful lot. And if something is unknowingly weak, not forcing them to turn on a trip where you can't hear them if they start to self destruct will be a big benefit in the end. Good Luck.

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
which size, model, part # of military tow bar do you use for the M37? I would like to tow my M37 behind by M35A2. any info on identification and supplier would help.:driver: