• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing capacity

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good Afternoon Fellow MV fans. I have read every other post I can fins on this subject and still have not bought into the answers so Her it goes One more time. I have a Deuce with a multifuel and I have a trailer with very good brakes on it they run off a 12v battery on the trailer, the trailer weighs 3200 pounds and what I want to load and tow on this trailer is a small payloader that weighs 11000 pounds for a total towed weight of 14200 pounds, I need to tow this load about 50 miles one way on an interstate hwy with a 45 mph minimum speed. Is this feasible I know the data plates say a mx of 10K towed is this really the limit or is 14K with agood brakes on the trailer possible safely? Thanks all very much for you opinions!
Karl

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Karl,
What is the GVW of the trailer? Just be aware that even if the 2-1/2 can safely handle the towed load, you will be over weight for the listed towed load. IF you get stopped there is no excuse for that and a ticket will be coming. Also, a trailer over roughly 2500# will put you into needing a CDL. You will have passed the magic 26001# number.

I am not sure if can do and should do are not separate questions here. Many of the members here have pulled much larger loads with 2-1/2 tons, but.......................

When your towed load is equal to the truck weight you have a touchy issue, really good brakes.....

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no 3200# trailer that will handle a combined load of 14200#. Forget it, you will destroy your trailer.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is no 3200# trailer that will handle a combined load of 14200#. Forget it, you will destroy your trailer.
:ditto:

I have to agree. There is no way a 3200# trailer has enough metal in it to support the weight of your payloader. I've seen people do this sort of thing and get by but you're just a accident waiting to happen.

I don't understand your electric brake setup either. You say they run off of a 12v battery on your trailer. Even if they do you still have to have some sort of brake signal from the tow vehicle. Are you sure the 12v battery isn't just for the break away device?

Even if you do get this contraption loaded and headed down the road there's no way you're going to be able to maintain the 45mph minimum speed if you have any hills at all.

Do I think a deuce is capable of towing a 14,000# load with good brakes? Yes but it's going to be slow. People routinely tow a 13,000# deuce with a deuce with no brakes on the load. Would I tow the load you're talking about? No.

Jimma

I agree that is probably too much weight for the trailer and combined too much for the truck to pull safely on the interstate. I have a friend that tows a small trak hoe that weighs about the same but he pulls it on a very beefy gooseneck trailer that has brakes and is rated for that kind of weight.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
It CAN tow it just fine, I have towed 20klbs 818s. The issue I see you having is getting the speed you have specified.

tm america

Can it be done yes .. Trailer brakes are a must.... Will it go fast no.. Can it be done without a cdl no.. Would i do it ? i pleade the fifth Many people have done worse things and gotten lucky.the problem is when things go bad and you are not lucky...it gets ugly real quick.:idea:when there is an accident and someone gets hurt what we feel or think matters very little .. the law tends to be what matters and if you are wrong you will pay dearly....

Reactions: emr

Irv

Would you do it with no insurance? That will be the case if you have an accident. Any insurance company will sing with joy that they don't have to pay out, because you violated the ratings of the truck. Irv

hemichallenger

I pull a boat that weighs 22000 on a 5 axle trailer i made that weighs 5500 pounds. I only go about 20 miles and would not get on the interstate with it. I am 14 feet high and 13 feet wide. My biggest problem is getting it out of the water without breaking to many straps. It will get up to 55 but i run an lds and takes a while. It is an 71 am general m35a2.

wilco

Deuce pulling deuce!

My 71 deuce has a D engine with Napa muffler and 11X20 singles and front lock outs.

Pulled a non turbo deuce with little problem. would run 55 without problem. Would take most hills on the interstate at 50 to 55.
Braking was no problem, but my brakes are in good shape and properly adjusted.

Don't know how it would do in the mountains without trailer brakes.

Attachments

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys THIS will NOT happen and I do appreciate you opinions, somebody asked me about the brakes on the trailer? They are electric 12v brakes the trailer has its own 12v battery on board and it is activated essentially by a reostate located in the tongue of the trailer, the harder the tow vehicle brakes the more pressure the trailer puts on its brakes, when all is adjusted correctly it works good at least up to 8K pounds, I have never towed more than that loaded on this trailer! Thank you all again and your advice is Well noted, and I will not tow a pay loader with my truck!

KK

1978davidw

I pull a 48,500 GVW trailer behind my truck sometimes 8500 pounds empty with a 951c caterpillar track loader 29000 pounds . This trailer has good air brakes and is rated to haul 40000 pounds on it max. Now i dont pull this out on the interstate or even out on the road with my M35 thats why i have a big volvo tractor however it has trouble going at the first hint of wet grass or even the sight of some mud. Getting into jobsites sometimes requires me to pull close to the job site and switch trucks and i hook up the old deuce to take care of any off road driving i have to do with tis load. Now as far as will the truck pull this yes but it wold not be safe to be out driving out on the road with this setup not because of brakes because the air brakes on the trailer will actually stop me loaded faster than driving the deuce empty. When you go to amke turns onto highways or stuff like that you are going so slow it takes you forever to get out of the way of any impending traffic. in my opinion this is what would make this dangerous to drive for any distance on the road. Now i wouldnt attempt to pull somthing like this without brakes . Like it has been said your trailer brakes are only good for the GVW of the trailer that is empty trailer weight plus load on trailer weight. If you exceed that weight your brakes arent gonna cut it and your truck has to start taking up the slack. The truck just dont have a lot to give extra when it comes to brakes.

rlwm211

Besides the legality issues, I would never take such a load on the interstate....that is just asking for a visit from a LEO with no sense of humor. It does matter a whit if the deuce can do it.....Heavens knows they will do anything if you have the time.....

There are times when it best to have the big stuff and this is one of them....

RL

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very good advice RL, I have only owned the truck for just under a year and I am still learning its limitations both of the truck and WHAT I think it should be able to do! Thanks for the GOOD advice!
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks