• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing deuce backwards?

Mark3395

OK, got a new M816 5T tow truck and an interesting challenge.

Need to tow a deuce that's had the rear axles pulled off to put on monstor trucks.

Two issues: how to best hook up the deuce to the tow truck, and whether the front tires will support the weight of the deuce.

I figure if I don't raise the rear of the deuce too much the front tires will be OK.

The bigger issue is how to attach the deuce to the wrecker. I figure latching the hook to the tow pintle, but how to hook the towbar. Seems the lunette's need to come off to allow access to the lifting shackle bases within.

A final issue might be whether the front tires will track the wrecker during the tow.

Has anybody had experience with this?

Thanks much.

KsM715

Take your wrecker down to the local tow truck operation and just get frendly with the owner or operators and see if they are willing to give you a little training. Ive seen trucks (garbage, dump trucks) towed that way when the rear axles are messed up.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The biggest issue is whether your wrecker is tagged for such an operation and whether you have the appropriate license to do so. Also, check with your insurer to make sure you are insured to tow a vehicle with your wrecker. I would pay someone to move it. It does not sound like you need to move it far. Why experiment? Just because you have a wrecker? I have a wrecker, too, and it has never been used to tow a truck...because I don't have the tags, insurance and license to do it. I am sure this is not the advice you were looking for, but it probably makes the most sense to leave the towing to the professionals. I bet you'll get the truck moved for a few hundred bucks.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Training won't do it. The military wreckers were NOT designed to tow this way and they don't have the same equipment to hook up to a truck that civvy wreckers do.

mudguppy

the way we've towed w/ the 816 or 900 series is just how you're describing. flip (rotate) the pintle upside down and use that as the lifting point. the towbar attaches (w/ the correct feet) to the rear shackle [edit: mounts]. the most important thing is how you securely chain the steering wheel to prevent the towed vehicle from wandering and wrecking both of you. the TMs would cover basic towing, and the same principles apply.

that said, unless i was going a very short distance, i wouldn't do it. at least, not when it's my equipment, my liability, and my wallet on the line.

papercu

As Bruce said it might be cheaper to pay someone else. Towing with a big wrecker might have the DOT boys looking at you.
That being said, my second M816 came from a county auction and they had made a car sling for it. Which most civilian wreckers had before todays plastic bumpers. I didn't find a good picture of one but if you check this site you'll get the idea. Wayne
Pierce P450SL Slide-In Unit

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In order to hook up to the rear lifting shackle mounting points, you'd have to remove the bumperettes. That, in and of itself, would take you a bit of time. I do not think the towbar will hook up without removing these. I suppose they could be torched off if the truck is a parts truck. That would save some time. With regard to what equipment I am missing (besides the proper insurance to do it...my trucks are tagged historic), I was referring to trying to hook up like a civvy wrecker would. I was not thinking of hooking up to the rear lifting shackle mounting points because the bumperettes are in the way. How does the military get around this?

You know a good reason NOT to use the wrecker? Most guys on this list DO NOT have a CDL and the proper insurance/tags. If this guy has the right tags, license and insurance to do it, and he relishes risk taking, go for it. I am not saying that he should not do it if he has the stomach for it. Personally, I wish I could watch from a safe distance with a cold one in my hand. I was only giving my opinion...the best advice that I would give a friend. I've done that...so have at it!

mudguppy

... I was not thinking of hooking up to the rear lifting shackle mounting points because the bumperettes are in the way. How does the military get around this?...
you can hook it up one of two ways: first as i described w/ towbar lunette on the wrecker pintle and lift w/ the truck pintle.

second is the opposite: towbar lunette on the truck pintle (w/ feet on the wrecker) and lift by chains through rear shackles on the truck. bumperettes are not a problem w/ this method.

also, i agree w/ you: not sure i'd do it myself, either. i think it depends on the route and distance towed whether i'd chance it or not.

Mark3395

Great info.

I figured that running the towbar backwards... with the legs hooked to the wrecker and running chains to the lifting shackles and hoisting the ass end is the magic. Tie up the steeringwheel and run it. Figure desplined hubs are easier than fussing with the front driveshaft.

The bigger issue is training. Am getting the CDL and insurance so don't see that as a problem.

Proper hookup is the main challenge. Once latched up I don't see the drive as the problem.

But that's being overconfident. I've decided to avoid this tow for now and to do this type of tow, and others, for shorter distances and learn what I'm doing.

I figure on using the wrecker as needed.... but not before some training. Haven't found good manuals on wrecker operations yet. Downloaded the manuals from SS but the ones now posted are pretty limited. Some school texts might be handy.

So it's now not a project... but instead is a process of qualifying each style of tow before running down the road. Should be a lot of fun figuring this vehicle out.

Still figuring out what all the hardware is that's on the truck.

Thanks for the sound advice guys.

tm america

i agree its a wrecker it was built to two these truck everyway possible you have a 5ton towing a 2.5 ton they were made to do it tie the steering wheel securely .use your tow bar going to the shackles on the towed truck and to the pintle on the towing truck flip the pintle on the truck being towed hook your cable to that.thats what they would have done if it hit a mine and blew the rears off it in the field .you bought a wrecker use it i dont know a cop it the world that will stop a tow truck towing something smaller than the tow truck

m.walker

I worked for a tow company for a while , get a part time job with one . If they aren't hiring , offer to help for the training part . You could sweep up accident scenes , toss chains and straps , you know help with the grunt work . The company gets free labor you get experience in working in and around wreckers . Mark

papercu

I figure on using the wrecker as needed
You going to use this for hire? Even moving your own stuff (depending on your state) might move you into a whole new level of headaches.
Illinois General Assembly - Illinois Compiled Statutes
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/publications/pdf_publications/cft_irp25.pdf
For information regarding insurance requirements, plate display regulations, and the proper weight to register this type(wrecker) of vehicle, please call the Commercial & Farm Truck Division at 217-785-1800.Good luck, Wayne

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be weary of regular towing with 5 ton wrecker. The only lift tow as a final option. Towing per the manual puts the pivot point at the back of the wrecker and the lift point at the front of the towed truck. Sharp turns cause funny things to happen. The manuals don't cover any rear lift tows. Using the towbar inverted matches the pivot points but really moves the towed vehicle far from the wrecker. No commercial towing equipment is the same or even similiar to the military stuff. Another thing, getting much experience from a towing company is getting increasingly hard as with the rollbacks, any idiot can tow and many do. Your best hope of common sense in towing is with the heavy wrecker people or the old timers that can sling a truck. Above all, be safe!

dc3coyote

Maybe I missed something here, but Why not get a trailer that can carry your duece safeley, You have the wrecker that can pick up and set your truck easily. Now your safe, and legal if anything comes up. Just dont wanna see someone get hurt
Branan

Mark3395

Great info guys.

Going to work at a towing outfit is a good idea but I've already got a job that takes far more time than I have to spare. I'll have to depend on your kind advice and some training exercises.

Am going over the recovery manual now. Most everything I do will be pretty simple.

I got the wrecker to use... to become capable of oprating it to standard capabilities, but not ectreme. In the meantime I can use if for simple tasks like moveing machinery and lifting the S250 shelter from trailer to truck etc.

Never know when you need a post pulled either.