• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing fifth wheel with cucv

Ok so next week I will be towing my new to me 5'er rv to my vacation spot. I wish to know some things to expect when pulling this type of load with a cucv from those that have done it. The truck is a former USAF flight line truck. Non turbo 6.2 auto with 4.10s Crew cab long bed. I know it'll be slow to start off and top 55mph that's it. But will it hold that speed without struggle? The trailer weighs 7700-8k not fully loaded. I have a pic hooked all up to roll out for visual reference if needed. Trailer is 30ft

Last edited:

86m1028

Technically not a cucv but nice looking truck.
I have one also but it came with a tbi 350/ 4l80.
Does your truck have the 400 or 4l80 ?
What hitch are you using ?
I've got the B&W but haven't installed it yet.

Cant help with your questions, I haven't towed with it.

royaltiger1945

I would bet that it would be very slow. My dad would take us camping in the mountains around Bishop, CA and Silver Lake, CA. We had a 25 foot 5th wheel and an 86 crew cab GMC with 4.10 and and np435 that had an ATS turbo system. It would pull the grade out of Bishop at 35 mph tops. That is at high altitude though. It never overheated though.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a CUCV but that truck should have no problems with that trailer.

Youll get a little more speed with the 4.10s

Do you have a external transmission cooler installed?
Trans and Engine temp gauges?

If so just keep an eye on temps.

It has factory temp gauge for coolant. Also it is a th400 not the 80e. No on the external trans cooler though. It and an oil cooler are on the list to add soon. I'm using the 16k Reese fifth wheel with rail system

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you headed north? Overpasses will scrub off speed. Bigger hills will scub off even more. I have a CUCV with 4.10 gears and it will not maintain speed on a hill. My truck weighs 8500 and towing 3000# is a chore. 4.10 gears will help you build a hsad of steam going down hills.

I will be going hwy 98 along the coast. I'm able to maintain speed on hills unloaded currently but am aware hills will slow me to 35-40 I hope for this area. I won't tackle any large hills till I do a turbo and better than the stock dual exhaust. According to the plate on my dash it claims my curb weight is 5866. Seems kinda light for this truck.image.jpg

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be ok on the relatively flat coast. Weight seems close to me, my truck is heavily laden with tools. At leas witb 4.10 cogs you can build up to 65-70 on thd downhills and be decent at the top of the next. Mountain hills really tax a 6.2.

TGP (IL)

Not to bust your parade but it will tow like a dog on the hills and most likely overheat.
Even with 4,56 gears wouldn't be much better.
These engines with non turbo are Gutless with over 10,000lbs.

Tom

Yes it is a dog on hills.....went on a test pull yesterday evening. I'm going to put a 12v cummins in it when I find one reasonably priced. I'm trying to find info on the 6.2 to 12 valve swap but all Google comes up with is where hawsers have been swapped. I figure the 6.2 to cummins has to be simpler due to having more in common wiring wise. I'm wanting to swap to a 5 or 6 speed as well. But in due time I guess. Luckily there are no hills between me and where I'm going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks