• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing HMMVW with HMMWV.

Action

Wouldn't the brake assist in the humvee require the one being towed to have the engine running? There is a thing on the side of the hydrobooster to give you a good braking with the pedal, in case of brake failure while driving. After one push, how hard can the mechanical assist thing push the pedal?
I guess it would be the same as in a car with power brakes. no engine running, no easy slow down.

Carrera911

That's a cool spec sheet. Interesting they list the top speed as 65+ with a 6.2/3l80. Does the 3l80 have a different 3rd gear ratio? Or is that speed overrated and just not good for the engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wouldn't the brake assist in the humvee require the one being towed to have the engine running? There is a thing on the side of the hydrobooster to give you a good braking with the pedal, in case of brake failure while driving. After one push, how hard can the mechanical assist thing push the pedal?
I guess it would be the same as in a car with power brakes. no engine running, no easy slow down.
No. Brakes will activate without the rear car being on. The device is able to generate sufficient force. I know first hand.

T

ryanruck

We often talk about the 92 and 93 Hummer H1 is nearly identical to the HMMWV. The attached says it can tow 9,000 lbs. Keep in mind, the military rates it for off-road towing weights, hence the lower number. And the bumpers are different. Just my observations...

Can't upload the image from my phone: http://www.lynchhummer.com/Changes/brochures/93.specs.700.jpg
Something to keep in mind, the H1 receiver hitch is a much more robust solution than a simple bumper mounted receiver like some of the new ones being sold on eBay for HMMWVs.

Besides the bumper mounting, it ties into the body brackets, and has arms that attach it to the rear lower control arm bolts. I posted part numbers here.

I don't have any good pics of mine installed aside from a rear shot so here's a couple I stole from online of what the hitch looks like...

2015080595141441-1.jpg IMG_0267.jpg starter_008.JPG

That's likely why there's such a higher towing capacity.

I don't get why this is even a dissusion. We all have already determind that the load being towed is greater then what the HMMWV is rated to tow. The is a chevy truck available that would handle the task safely. This is about trying to "be cool". In my opinion it is not cool to do things that are unsafe and can danger others just for the heck of it. This is all just my 2 cents of course.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This was online, you know what they say, "if it's on the internet , it must be true" LOL
IMG_4286.jpg

jeffy777

I don't get why this is even a dissusion. We all have already determind that the load being towed is greater then what the HMMWV is rated to tow. The is a chevy truck available that would handle the task safely. This is about trying to "be cool". In my opinion it is not cool to do things that are unsafe and can danger others just for the heck of it. This is all just my 2 cents of course.
It was to be cool. I apologize. I also thought it would be fun. I made the statement before I did any real research. Once I looked at the -10 I knew I could not pull it off (Pun intended).

That being said. I asked first so as not to be unsafe so you really need not think or portray what I was doing as unsafe unless you think typing on Steel Soldiers is unsafe and if that is the case you have fallen into the unsafe zone. ;)

jeffy777

Something to keep in mind, the H1 receiver hitch is a much more robust solution than a simple bumper mounted receiver like some of the new ones being sold on eBay for HMMWVs.

Besides the bumper mounting, it ties into the body brackets, and has arms that attach it to the rear lower control arm bolts. I posted part numbers here.

I don't have any good pics of mine installed aside from a rear shot so here's a couple I stole from online of what the hitch looks like...

View attachment 677985 View attachment 677986 View attachment 677987

That's likely why there's such a higher towing capacity.
I think you have it exactly right it is not an issue with engine or drive train it is simply it is not a hitch engineered for those kind of demands. So to continue the discussion is there a standardized hitch system to put on HMMWV that will work well?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks