• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing Humvee via tow bar

DanM7890

From what I have seen on google it looks like the Humvee is easy to pull via tow bar. I am only 2.5hrs from the location of where I need to pick up my M998 so I was considering doing this. I have a 7x18' trailer, but I don't have drive over fenders and don't want to alter the trailer. My tow vehicle is a 12' F150 Supercrew with ecoboost so I should be fine pulling it. I'm assuming all I would be to do is remove front and rear driveshaft's.

Has anyone on here have experience with pulling their Humvee 4 down.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I took backroads. Turns absolutely suck. The HMMWV will fight you the entire time if you try to turn with it. I even ended up strapping the wheel so it wouldn't go to the point of full lock against me. Pulling straight was fine, stopping was ok as long as you made sure to give enough time/space. I pulled with a crewcab 1500HD. Would have been much easier on a trailer. Very sketchy when the hmmwv pushes in a turn and you start fishtailing. I've driven a bit of vehicles over my years. But I certainly won't advise flat towing a HMMWV with civy vehicle. (CUCV included) I believe the problem is simply with the track width. A narrow track width pulling a wide trackwidth. The HMMWV has more leverage. Only way I'd consider flat towing another one would be with either a dually (track width) or a 2.5 or 5 ton. (Or another HMMWV maybe) It's just all around safer on a trailer. Plus no bothering with the driveshafts.

I believe there's one type of uhaul trailer that will work.

springbok

We used a Chevy Silverado 1500 to tow an M1113 6 hours.
It works but tight turns you will need someone to get in the MV and help turn it.
Would I do it again. NO... Second time I got a trailer.

olewhiskey

Towed 6 no hassle, there was one M1097 that that turned out to be the "evil"tow and performed exactly as patracy describes. . I had one recovery driver take his F250 and flat towed M998 through some very narrow turns with curbs upon entering a gas station and didn't scrub a tire on any vehicle. Flat towed an M998 144 miles no problem with a F150.You will need a wide deck- over. For that you can let the air out of the bias plys if you have fenders on most wide equipment trailer it will let you squeeze in. The radials are stiffer and may scrub or bend the fenders if the are fixed.Yes the UHaul 7.5 trailer will work but they do not want to rent it for a Humvee many say. Some locations will.

DanM7890

My local sunbelt has a 8' x 20' deck over for $75 a day. This is the best option I can think of. I appreciate everyone's input.

cq141

I couldn't find a dolly to get mine so I had to rent a trailer to go 37 mile
still trailer was cheap to rent
and I never seen so many ppl stare on the way home
was a good feeling

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks