• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M123 with M816

AMGeneral

I'm thinking of towing the M123 home from VA with my 816,I'm very aware of how light the front end of the 816(and previous)wreckers get when lift towing their maximum weight.Any pointers ,advice,past experiences?I'm getting close to time I have to move it and all my shippers aren't coming through for me.

westfolk

I would not think it is much different than what I did yesterday. Using an 2 1/2 ton truck to pull my 5 ton M52A2 home. 274 miles total. When you figure the weight of what I was driving and that of what I was pulling I would say it'd be about the same as what you want to do. Just both vehicles(towing and towed) are each one step up the ladder.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
would you have to have all the weight on the crane. maybe a tow bar, or just some of the weight on the crane and some on the front tires . where do you have to go for the truck i see your in NC

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
just seen the location, was wondering if you were my way i might could help some. the only other option would be a local wrecker service could pick it up and maybe store it. if not at there place a storage yard would be cheaper than the wrecker yard, its just a thought

westfolk

Or lock the steering some how and lift the rear. Less weight in the air therefore more on your front axle.

TacticalTruck

I FLAT towed my 10 ton home with my M816 and it was a handful. I would NOT lift the front end of the 10 ton with the wrecker, the steering of the wrecker will become too light and the front axel will probably even want to lift off the ground. Also be sure to hook air brake lines from the wrecker to the ten ton.
Jeff

Hookin1

i would pick it up from the rear...just use the seat belt or a strap and tie the steering wheel....pull the front drive shaft....you can stilll hook up the brakes as the front brakes will still work....when driving wrecker we always pulled trucks from the rear when possible

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I rememeber reading (perhaps in David Doyle's book?) that the military actually banned the towing of the 10-tons with medium wreckers because of these problems...

TacticalTruck

When I went to pick up my 10 ton I had to lift the rear of it to swing the truck around to get it lined up to hook up the tow bar. It was all my M816 could do to lift it. When I tried to move, the front end of the wrecker came off the ground which would make the 10 ton come back down. I had to bounce the whole mess a few inches at a time. There is no way a medium wrecker is going to safely lift tow a ten ton from either end.
Jeff

AMGeneral

Thanks alot!,That was the info I was needing.brakes are no problem all the air lines on the 10 ton are still intact.Being that I probably won't exceed 45 mph I don't think the tires will be a problem either.The only thing that has me worried is the wheel bearings,it has been sitting 10+ years.Are the bearings on these trucks oil bath or grease like all other MV's?Can the front axles be disconnected by removing the outer splined hubs,or must you drop the driveshaft?

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sounds like you have a hand full. im learning as i want to tow another m816 home with my wrecker. not far around 75 miles or so but i might reconsider it

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
While the M62 and M543 manuals state that they can "recover any wheeled vehicle" in the army's inventory, a later PM Magazine item specifically prohibited towing the ten-ton with a five ton wrecker, under ANY circumstances. What did the army recommend using? - A M88 - which would make for a slow, and expensive, tow in your case.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle