• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing m353 w/o air brakes?

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
So I am going to pick up my M353 trailer in a few weeks, I know it has air brakes. My Dodge does not :) I am sure I can handle it without brakes at all (done 10K without brakes at 35MPH lol). Question is, will the trailer move without an air supply? If not, what can I do? T

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
So I am going to pick up my M353 trailer in a few weeks, I know it has air brakes. My Dodge does not :) I am sure I can handle it without brakes at all (done 10K without brakes at 35MPH lol). Question is, will the trailer move without an air supply? If not, what can I do? T
It should move without an air supply.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Thanks. Long term can I find a electric actuator and replace the air setup fairly easily?

Update: I found this but at 699 it is a bit expensive:

Dexter Trailer Brakes - K71-651

Dexter Electric/Hydraulic Brake Actuator for Disc Brake Applications
Features:

• 1,600 psi suitable for disc brake applications
  • Large reservoir capacity
  • Solid state electronics
  • Requires a 4-wire hookup
  • Requires a minimum 9 amp/hour breakaway kit
  • Dimensions: 11" long x 6" wide x 7" high
  • Compatible with most electronic brake controllers that have electric over hydraulic brake function
  • 2-Year limited warranty

Last edited:

PeterD

I tow my M-200 with the generator with my Dodge 2500 HD. The HD does have larger brakes (and a few other things too) which helps. I can stop it OK, but I drive very carefully, roughly the same driving techniques as were I pulling a 10K gallon fuel tanker! Worst experience was a snow storm when I found that nothing would stop it in any reasonable distance. But we did about 90 miles that day without any major oh-crap moments. I would not try to tow it with anything smaller however (a 1500 or a standard duty 2500 may not be up to the task...)

You need to drain the aux air tank (if there is one) which will release the emergency brakes (this is opposite of a non-military air brake setup...) There are steps in the M-200 manual for towing behind non-air brake trucks, rather trivial.

I do recommend you have proper lights however--bad to be pulled over because you don't have the lights working well... :cool:

wsucougarx

I brought my MEP-006a mounted on a M200A1 home with my 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins. Figured I had 7300 lbs in tow. The Cummins handled the weight no problem and the truck braked with ease.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Great info! My Ram is a 2500HD also (Hemi). I take it I can bleed the air canister with a screwdriver (Schroeder valve)?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone know how high the pintle hitch needs to be for a M353?
Standard height is about 36". To bleed the air tank you need maybe just pliers. Most have a radiator style petcock. Unless it's had air in it real recently (within days), there will be no air to actuate the brakes.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a raised hitch for my 1500 gmc and set the pintle at the top to tow the 353. If its empty you'll have no worrys.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
36" hmm. I think my class iv receiver sits at maybe 18" on my 2500. Going to need one beast of a pintle plate.

PeterD

When you use that massively raised pintle receiver, be careful. It is surprisingly easy to bend them and I've seen several bent with these trailers. I think the main issue is that the chains are a bit too short and that is what bends them--in my case (yea, I bent mine!) I remounted the chains to give an extra three inches of slack.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
I ordered up the following:

Curt Manufacturing 48341 13 In Plate 12 1/2 In Shank

Curt Manufacturing 48200 8 Ton Combo Ball and Pintle - 2 5/16 In Ball Forged

Hopefully they are durable. Has anyone towed one with a load using the drop/riser like that?

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you pull it? Yes, no problem. Can you stop it? Probably, as long as you don't have an a**hole slam on the brakes in front of you. Can you pull it legally without brakes? Not in my state anyway, over 2000lbs. you need brakes. I am not trying to be an azz but I am curious. Why would you buy such a trailer when you have nothing to pull it correctly with and a civilian trailer of approximately the same capacity would cost about the same in the end?

Rick

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
Can you pull it? Yes, no problem. Can you stop it? Probably, as long as you don't have an a**hole slam on the brakes in front of you. Can you pull it legally without brakes? Not in my state anyway, over 2000lbs. you need brakes. I am not trying to be an azz but I am curious. Why would you buy such a trailer when you have nothing to pull it correctly with and a civilian trailer of approximately the same capacity would cost about the same in the end?

Rick
No worries, to answer your curiosity:

1.) Value: Not going to find anything near it in quality (at least in my area) for a base price of less than $300.00. Harbor freight won't cut it for me.
2.) I like the collectable aspect. Easy answer.
3.) My truck is more than capable, had over 13K on it. Braking was my only concern as I am sans air brakes. It is only a 50 mile drive, a drive I know very well. I know most of the LEOs out my way and none would waste their time to enforce a trailer law as there are too many more serious laws being broken.
4.) It is not going to be used to haul all sorts of items. It will be cleaned up, modified for my mep002, fuel tank and some other goodies. In bad situation it may well be pulled behind my dodge or a large MV (plans to purchase in the next few months).

I hope that clears my intentions up :) I just like to know as much as I can before I get to recovery day. Everyone here has been great (as has the search feature).

Will pick up some more chain, thanks for the great details in your post.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a dump bed mounted on mine. With the pickup, I haul it empty and do fine. The axle is set back enough that there is plenty of tongue weight and stopping isn't an issue. I doubt that a 353 with an mep002 will give you any trouble at all. If you are so inclined, you could always add a surge brake pintle and have functioning brakes.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a dump bed mounted on mine. With the pickup, I haul it empty and do fine. The axle is set back enough that there is plenty of tongue weight and stopping isn't an issue. I doubt that a 353 with an mep002 will give you any trouble at all. If you are so inclined, you could always add a surge brake pintle and have functioning brakes.
Now there is an option I like.[thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks