• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M813 with Deuce

cbvet

Something to think about:
This past weekend I needed to tow my M813, due to a broken water pump belt.
I figured I was all set, as I have a tow bar & could hook up the brakes from my Deuce.
NOT!
The 1400s make the 5 ton too tall to tow with my Deuce. Angle was so bad I was afraid the tow bar might break.
Had to have a big wrecker come out.

sandcobra164

I've done it with 817's and 818's behind my Deuce, some of the 5 ton's had singles. What I noticed from the trucks with singles is that the higher towbar attachment point would try to make my Deuce spin the rear tires upon initial take off. Once rolling, no problem and when braking, the 5 ton would actually try to stop my truck. Of course, downhill, just keep a little throttle on the deuce if you're not trying to stop and you should be fine. Ease up on the throttle uphill so you don't burn your motor up (in case it's turned up some like mine). If you're trying to slow or stop on a downhill, ease into the brakes of the Deuce and the 5 ton will keep the tension on the towbar before you're brakes really start to engage. Of course, this only applies if you have the inter-vehicular air hoses hooked up. I've towed only 1 before I thought it was a great idea to get the hoses before pulling the 2nd one. The 1st pull without the hoses was an extremely gut wrenching experience that I will never try again.

Joseph

emr

Just a thought , I towbar my M35 with my M925 with 1400s on her, and the tow bar sure is not level, but it really does not need to be, always do what U feel is safe, just because something will go wrong, I have towbarred my 813 with my deuce , but she has 1100ndtccs . I really want to towbar my 925 with my deuce, but not where there is anytraffic at all,,, good choice on using common sense...

Ord22

that is true, you never tow a vehicle heavier than the pulling veh. the towed vehicle can sometimes push you to fishtail out of control, especially going down a hill or on snow!!

M813A1

You can pull a larger vehicles with a Duece if you use the air hoses !! By doing the tow that way when you brake the larger vehicle will brake at the same time !! If not using the air lines it is not a good idea to pulll a 5 ton or larger with a Duece !!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks