• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M915A1 Backwards with Truhitch

M1075

Warthog and I recovered a M915A1 from Saginaw, TX yesterday using the Truhitch towing device. The rear tires on the tractor were flat/bad/missing, so a rear lift was needed. We tied the steering wheel off using ratchet straps and away we went. Thanks Warthog!

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nothing like towing a truck at 60-65mph with an automatic. Couldn't even tell the other trcukwas back there. I kept looking in the mirrors to make sure it was there.

New Tru-Hitches run $25K-$30K

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang, I've looked everywhere I can think of in the back yard and I still cant find my tru-hitch. Looks good guys!

M1075

Thanks for the compliments guys! I have seen the military version of the tru-hitch sell for as little as $1,200 on Government Liquidation and up to $15,000 or so on Ebay. Go figure!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe James told me previously that the tru-hitch increases the weight on the front wheels. I am sure James will chime in to further describe this.

M1075

I believe James told me previously that the tru-hitch increases the weight on the front wheels. I am sure James will chime in to further describe this.
Yes, the Tru-Hitch is different from most Fifth Wheel Towing Devices (FWTD) because the weight goes directly on the fifth wheel and not behind it. I think it is an ingenious design, but yet simple in principle.

Commercial tow trucks are looooong and heavvvvvy to counterbalance loads when towing. Tru-Hitch allows a short wheelbase, manuevable tractor like M915 to tow a loaded tractor/trailer combination with ease. My model is rated for 120,000#. Check out this picture of Tru-Hitch being used to tow HET tractor/trailer with M88 or similar. What is the GCWR on that?

Here is a summary from the manufacturer's website:

"The Tru-Hitch™ is a heavy-duty under lift towing device that utilizes the fifth wheel coupling as the pivotal connection between the pulling tractor and the truck in tow. The weight of the disabled vehicle is distributed among all axles of the towing tractor. The front axle of the towing tractor actually gains weight as the vehicle is lifted! This makes the Tru-Hitch™ system by far the safest heavy duty towing device in the transportation industry."

Tru-Hitch Professional Towing at its Best

Attachments

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the compliments guys! I have seen the military version of the tru-hitch sell for as little as $1,200 on Government Liquidation and up to $15,000 or so on Ebay. Go figure!
I watched two sell last week at Camp Shelby for around $4100 and $5400. I really liked the looks and design, but didn't know enough about their condition to bid. Do they fit on a 2" plate or the larger hitch on the 916/920s?

It is really a great tractor accessory.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks