• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M923 Question

Rkrug

I am looking at getting an M923 truck from Fort Reiley Ks, but I don't have an air brake equipped truck to pull one with, so I was wondering if I could just rig up my air compressor to feed air into the emergency air glad-hand in the front and wire in a solenoid valve to feed air from the air compressor into the front brake glad hand to activate the brakes.
Does any one Know if this has any chance of working?

moriboy

Just out of curiousity, what are you thinking of pulling it with? If you are able to hook up the air thru the proper means the brakes should work just fine....

midcounty

21k lb truck, Plus make shift brake system, I wouldn't do it. Anything large enough to safely pull it I would think would have an air system. What are you planning to tow it with?

M1075

It can be done. Someone has posted a setup that was used in the back of a pickup to activate air brakes. Not sure, I would like to tow a 5 ton with a pickup, but that too has also been done.

Attachments

Rkrug

Yeah I guess that the Cons outweigh the chances of success, I guess I'll Just have to hire a trucker with a flatbed to haul it.
But to get it on the trailer, If I pressurize the brake system will that release the spring brake?

M1075

If I pressurize the brake system will that release the spring brake?
Yes, it should. You can also cage the brakes very easily with a 3/4" ratchet wrench. Sometimes, the brakes can lock up if it has been sitting, so you never really know what you might get into.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK guys you can all call me MR.OBVIOUS but I am going to ask anyway, Rkrug have you read some of the threads on flat towing a 923? Remember its got an automatic trans, if you do this your going to get pretty good at removing drive shafts, and its got to be done or your going to have issues! If you cant drive it Which would be my first choice then have it hauled to where you need it Good luck, Great trucks!
KK

Rkrug

This is probably a stupid question with an obvious answer , but why would you have to take the drive shafts off?
I live pretty close and would not have to tow very far if it makes any difference.
Thanks

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One reason is (there may be others too - probably are), that if you don't or can't disconect the drive lines to the automatic trans, you are still turning its output shaft. That is a big drag, but on some trannys, it starves the output shaft's bearings for lube, and causes it harm. Towing a few hundred yards is one thing, but anything like highway speeds, is out.

Towing that thing on the Highway, is a serious job, for qualified drivers that know what they are doing! The safest thing is to have it hauled! Good Luck

Rkrug

Looking at tow bar setups I've seen the ones that clamp around the axel and the ones that hook on the bumper which setup is better?And when you hook on the bumper how do you attach the tow bar to the bumper?:lost:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks