• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing M923a2 with a M923?'s

tbar123

I'm very hopefully looking to buy a M923A2 from GL in an upcoming auction. I know that my current truck will pull it home, and I have read the manual on towing but I still would like to hear from people that have actually done this in the "real world" as composed to what is stated in a book. Yes books have a tremendous amount of information, but sometimes the real world and book world don't jive together. So the questions are as follows.

Anything I should or shouldn't expect? ( as far as unforeseen obstacles)

Should I remove the drive shafts? ( if so are the bolts a different size from the 80'-90's models)

Most importantly, Does anyone close to Enon,OH have a tow bar that I can borrow or rent? If not is there anyplace that I can rent one from?

Thanks for any and all advice.

armytruck63

You are so much better off having your new purchase commercially hauled. Get a ballpark quote from U-ship or the like and add that cost to the purchase price of the new truck.

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed my 923 with my 925 and it was fine. It will be a slow trip and you must be on your A game as far as attention to whats around you and what the rear truck is doing. You will need two air lines to connect the trucks air systems, and two heavy duty chains, and light bar for the rear truck or I turned on the 4 way flashers. You won't need to remove any drive shafts, just make sure the transfer case and trans is in neutral.

tbar123

I do appreciate it guys.To pay a long hauler to pick the truck up, drive it 60 miles, drop it. Just isn't worth the extra cost over doing it myself, especially since I'm very use to this route. I drive it myself commercially 6 times a week.

DJones; Thanks, I already have the airlines and gladhands. I still need the rubbers, but those are cheap and shouldn't be a problem to get. Of course the trip is going to be slow...very slow. but I think if I get it out before 10 am I should be alright. Thanks for the help!

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes the towed truck steering does not return to center after a turn. Might have to tie the steering wheel close to straight ahead and drag it around the corners.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
When I towed the M923 from Atlanta with the M927a2 I was running 60+ on the interstate and back roads. Check the towed truck regularly but don't let the swaying scare you. Try to hold a steady speed and leave plenty of room to escape in case of an emergency. Do not get in a position that requires you to back up. You can quickly damage a tow bar doing so. Flat towing is safe provided you pay attention to detail.

plumkrazy

1--Always leave yourself an out, 2--Maintain your space cushion in front, 3--On wet roads double your following distances, 4--Easy on the BRAKES. Sounds like you understand what is on the roads, just wanted to wish you good Luck. Regards

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since you have M923s, without a lot of weight in your bed, the towed truck might push the towing vehicle when braking in a curve. Try to avoid hard braking in a curve, and plan your braking on the straightaway prior to the curve or turn. Your truck may turn, but the towed truck might want to continue straight, causing a jack-knife. Just because you have the airlines hooked up, doesn't mean the brake application in both vehicles will be equal.

Use the safety pin on the pintle hook. The safety chains should be loose enough not to bind in turns, but not so loose that they drag or come loose - I use wire or gorilla tape to make sure the chain hooks stay where they are supposed to.

I find the towed truck pulls easier with the tire pressure on the high side. If it still won't track straight, use the seatbelt wrapped several times around the bottom of the steering wheel, then clicked in. You will drag the front wheels sideways in turns, and this will increase the jack-knife potential if you hit your brakes hard in the turn.

Take your time, and pay full attention to what your're doing, and you should be fine.

tbar123

I was thinking about it today, and what should I do if the brakes on the parts truck don't release? At that point i would have paid for it,spent a ton of money in fuel, and have a limited time to retrieve the truck.I did a google earth look at the lot where the truck is being auctioned from and it clearly shows 20-30 trucks from 2010. Sitting that long these drums could have locked up.

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are a lot of "what if's" to consider on a recovery. But it is good to think about possible issues in advance and try to have a plan B. That is why some suggest a trailer tow. Caging the brakes usually does the trick if there is a problem with the parking brake air system.

tbar123

I appreciate it VPed; I was thinking about bringing a small sledgehammer with me to "tap" the drums. I have used that method on old cars I bought before and with somewhat mixed results.

whiskey357

Banned
Sounds like a interesting trip...have tow smaller rigs...like the guys said....safety first..nice and easy rember don't through a McDonalds drive thru...hehehe have a safe trip

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If old cars and small sledge hammers go well together, large trucks may require a large sledge:) You boys and your humid environments. I have bought a ton of old cars and never, never had a stuck brake. Recently got a car that had been sitting for 20 plus years with drift sand up to the rocker panels. It was a bear to winch out of the sand but rolled easily once out (and the parking brake was set).

I would think a little fore and aft movement from the towing vehicle should break them loose, if stuck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks