• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing/pulling in reverse

Jones

I can't think of any of the later tactical vehicles that aren't automatics. The military doesn't have to take the time to train drivers who never drove a stick in civilian life. Just teach'em the basics of stab-it-and-steer-it.
Having driven stick for years, I grudgingly have to admit that automatics are better in off-road conditions because the auto shifts so fast that you don't have to worry about bogging down between gears-- or missing a gear and losing headway; and it takes care of you by selecting what gear is best for speed and load so you can concentrate on keeping pointed in the direction you needs to go.
I'd say the odds of getting a bad part out-of-the-box are there, but most vehicle failures are operator error or lack of proper preventive maintenance. Unfortunately this happens when you have multiple drivers-- sometimes within the same trip.
Just when I think I've come up with an idiot-proof solution; the world invents a better idiot.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The army wanted automatics in WWII - I have photos of a CCKW test truck with an automatic in it. FWIW, the WWII-era M5, M5A1 and M24 tanks all had GM Hydramatics in it. This was in an era when virtually all civy vehicles had manual transmissions - the object was the smooth off-road performance and lower maintenance of the auto.

Regards,
David

emr

I was just thinking u guys who can pull more in reverse , So i was driving a deuce today, and was just playing alittle at the shop, and i have to say going foward is what the truck is designed to do and does better.back up a hill and drive up,, muddy and dry, my 37 years behind the wheel,besides running in Mud bog comps, ive been stuck in so many places, and so many times, i just keep remembering more, ive been an avid jeeper and woods goer for my whole life,ive been stuck in just about everything . and ive done both multiple times, and only would chance a reverse pull with a big enough vehicle, man u just loose so much traction in reverse.I think Im up for a pull, ? would be fun! maybe at the MTA show this spring? Randy