• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing question with M35.....

Mark2X2

A bigger problem is brakes. I'd say is getting the thing stopped is gonna be an issue with the brakes. You'll absolutely have to have a good brake controller. The Deuce is rated to pull 10K lbs, but these things are notoriously underrated and that rating might have something to do with capability to pull a trailer offroad.

Aren't boats typically a surge brake system? Because you back them into the water. Haven't towed much besides a U-Crawl tandem trailer with surge brakes. Could really make it interesting ride
Mark.

chaplain

I am by far not an expert here but a bobbed deuce changes a lot in terms of geometry, kinetics and all around stability. I still think that if you insist on towing with a bobbed truck (like I do) the way to go will be the five ton rig. I say this just to play it safe. 20,000 is a lot of weight to be playing with and guessing (and no matter what anyone here says its just educated guessing) Remember there are no military tests or dot tests or osha tests to determine if the bobbed deuce is a safe tow rig. I would feel safe towing but not that kind of weight, maybe a 4000 lb camper or something like a car. The rules Change with 10 tons of weight. Forgive me if I have offended anyone but we are talking about other peoples lives on our roadways.

I am by far not an expert on MV's but I have considerable tow experience and experience in the installation and design of tow equipment. Besides I am rapidly becoming a five ton fan. hee hee.

Last edited:

standardaero

tow with duece

i tow houseboats with a m35a2 with a dump bed installed on it, i have pulled up to 50,000 lbs houseboats with mine and had no problems for the last 3 years, but you cant pull faster than 45 and normal driving speed loaded in fifth high you do good to do 35 mph. look in member pics i have one listed

i buy all my trucks to work and they do yes the new duallies will go down the road faster but not as safely as a duece size matters change out the tires to conventional ones better traction at the boat docks dont bob it and get a brake controller for trailer brakes late 70's chevy reese hitch fits a duece good get a class 5 and truck on . sorry just my .02cents

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
The max towed load is usually 10,000lb, though I have seen data plates with 12,000 listed. The issue is more the legality/liability issues, than safety. The truck is rated to take an additional 10,000lbs in the cargo bed (road), along with the max towed load. The TM states that at max towed w/cargo - the max speed is 45mph. You CAN manage 55mph on flat and slight grades with a multi-fuel turbo that is turned up. 60 too. 45mph will be a task for any LD (max/max). Brakes SHOULD be fine, if you are not in the mountains, drive at reduced speeds, and have decent trailer/truck brakes, stay out of the snow, pay attention and know what you are doing. The 5t advice offered above is good advice.

p.s. comments are in a 10wheel context. I have no experience with bobbed trucks.

Last edited: