• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing with deuce help

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The way the military would have done it would have been with the wrecker tow light setup.

If you don't have one (and they are waaaay overpriced) you should just get some magnetic tow lights, replace the 12V bulbs with 24V bulbs and then make some kind of adapter to plug them into your deuce's trailer wiring receptacle.

emr

All True...There is no way by military use to make the trucks lights work, only the brakes on bigger trucks with air hook ups. No Lights...Need an external source...

armytruck63

The light suggestions above are right on.
Another thing you have to do...the CUCV operator's manual says you have to remove the rear drive shaft if you will be towing over 35 MPH or travelling over 50 miles in distance. I've never towed my CUCV, but a friend who has unhooks the driveshaft at the rear differential and securely straps it to the frame with big black bungee cords.

Also make sure the front hubs are in the "free" position and leave a key in the ignition with the steering wheel in the "unlock" position.

Good luck.

jimm1009

towing your truck.

If this is a one to two-time occurance I would also use the magnetic lights and just install the 1683 bulbs in them.
If you may do this more often and don't mind switching the rear tail light bulbs each time then I can give you some guidance on how to install a standard 4-pin trailer plug set up just below the wiper motor area on the firewall and from then on you simply unplug one plug and connect to another plug.
I used to tow my M1009 all the time so I did something to help me out although I could never get around disconnecting the rear driveshaft and tieing it up to the frame....don't forget the duct tape on the bearing caps for the universal joint or you will be an "unhappy camper".
Jim

jimm1009@yahoo.com

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The light suggestions above are right on.
Another thing you have to do...the CUCV operator's manual says you have to remove the rear drive shaft if you will be towing over 35 MPH or travelling over 50 miles in distance. I've never towed my CUCV, but a friend who has unhooks the driveshaft at the rear differential and securely straps it to the frame with big black bungee cords.

Also make sure the front hubs are in the "free" position and leave a key in the ignition with the steering wheel in the "unlock" position.

Good luck.

If you leave the key on, pull the glowplug card or you will burn out your glowplugs.

Last edited:

armytruck63

I'm pretty sure there is a position between "lock" (fully counter clockwise) and "run" (second postion clockwise from "lock") that unlocks the steering wheel, but your suggestion is a good, safe way to prevent glow plug damage.