• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing With M1008..

LT67

Just curious how much weight y'all can safely pull with an M1008/28. I had to go pick up a 20ft steel trailer with a wood bed and while my truck isn't equipped for electric trailer brakes, I didn't notice any difference in stopping power. Take off speed was like a 3 legged turtle, but once I was up to speed I had no problems maintaining it. Getting said trailer up and down a narrow and winding gravel path was a bit of a challenge.. lol

36249532_1806368626073195_2364068055484465152_o.jpg

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I've got a brake controller wired in on my CUCV and a class IV hitch. You definitely notice the lack of power with the 6.2 but it's not terrible on flat ground. I wouldn't tow much more than a pickup truck on a flat bed, but that's just me. The official military rating is only 3000lbs on the pintle hook last I remember.
IMG_2308.jpgDSCN0796.jpgDSCN0800.jpgimage.jpg

LT67

The heaviest load I'm planning on pulling is a Kubota 3301 4wd with a front end loader and bush hog for maybe 2 miles.... lol. I'll use the 79 K20 with a 406 for longer trips.

Yes an electric brake controller is at the top of the list..... there's actually one in the truck that's not wired in. No idea if it works or not.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There's a couple things to consider: What it's physically capable of and what it's legally capable of.

The physical, I can't help with. No 1008/1028 towing experience.

The legal: I briefly looked and couldn't find a 1980's spec sheet for K30s. I suspect there was a civilian K30/6.2/4.56 rating and a military rating. The military rating is easy, find the GCWR on the tag, subtract the curb weight of the truck and that's your max rated trailer capacity.

corvette9

It's not about what you can pull. It's about what you can stop.
Very true. My brother found that out the hard way with his 1008. He was way over loaded and couldn't stop. Crashed into the back of a dump truck. I had to go tow the whole mess back to my shop. His truck is fixed and back on the road now but he won't do that again.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have successfully towed my Shibaura SD 5040 tractor to job sites for years. With the loader/brush hog,tools and 24FT utility trailer it comes in just under 12,000. The trailer has surge brakes. I stay less than 50MPH and live in a flat area. I had to install a bigger rad and 6 blade 20 inch fan along with a 180 deg thermostat to stop the overheating. My M1028A1 does a good job. Yes it does take a while to stop. NO I don't recommend this to anyone without a lot of towing experience. I know I know I can hear yall lighting the fire to flame me with.

cucvrus

The part I don't understand is the need to add a bigger radiator and fan. I towed a lot with my CUCV's with a 26FT trailer and logs. If it is getting hot on flat land you have deeper issues. I never ran one hot except if the fan clutch was not working as designed. Roaring fan if you know what I mean. Good luck on that towing heavy. I won't do it again with the CUCV. I have a newer truck and trailering is more of a pleasure and not as stressful. A/C, auto grade braking, hill assist. Get the deal. Just saying. Things have changed a lot with towing packages. Even on a 1500 series truck. The GVWR is 7000lbs now used to be 5000 when the K10 were built. Have a Great Day. Stay cool. Hydrate.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bigger fan and rad came from towing in 100+ deg heat in south Texas. It can get pretty warm here and I'm not comfortable running a GM diesel above 200. I know guys do it all the time. I have never had a head gasket failure or cracked a block/heads keeping them at 180 to 200 deg. With the 6 blade fan and the all aluminum rad the fan doesn't engage until the engine is laboring. Or in heavy traffic. The roar from the goodyears is WAY more annoying. I'm already ready for the fall/winter. I hate the heat myself. I'm thinking of doing the redneck AC install. I have come across a old truck with a window unit AC in the back window and a small Harbor Freight generator in the bed. He told me he was cool for less than $400.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, which aluminum radiator did you use? Does it have the oil cooler on the drivers side and transmission cooler on the passenger side? Did all the hoses hook up ok?

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The copper/brass radiator I installed was identical to the old one.
Everything hooked up with zero issues.

Truck stays nice and cool no matter outside temp.
Running a 190* thermostat and original 5 blade fan.

Only trailers I tow are the M101A2’s.
Usually their not loaded heavy, but sometimes their over limit. (Gravel/Fill dirt).

When I need to tow something heavy, I use my GMC Sierra w/Duramax and BigTex trailers w/Electric Brakes.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ken, which aluminum radiator did you use? Does it have the oil cooler on the drivers side and transmission cooler on the passenger side? Did all the hoses hook up ok?
IMG_0371.jpgIMG_0374.jpg
I'm sorry I don't have a part number. I got it from the local rad shop. They ordered it for me. Everything fit perfect. The tranny cooler is on the drivers side and the engine cooler is on the passenger side. Just like the stock one. This one holds a extra gallon of coolant. The tanks are much bigger.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
They can tow things....

Granted this isn't a smart tow by any means. (Brakes were caged) It pulled it fine. I just made sure I gave myself a mile headway for stopping. A proper trailer with brakes and it's cake. It'll tow just fine, just don't expect it to do it fast. Or get it up to speed within the week. (Side note, my 1008 has a turbo)

Attachments

LT67

They can tow things....

Granted this isn't a smart tow by any means. (Brakes were caged) It pulled it fine. I just made sure I gave myself a mile headway for stopping. A proper trailer with brakes and it's cake. It'll tow just fine, just don't expect it to do it fast. Or get it up to speed within the week. (Side note, my 1008 has a turbo)
I see you're in Buchanan, Ga... you're not too far from me. I'm on the east side of Bowdon.

Lol, yeah it took mine a minute to get up to speed with the empty trailer. Once I got up to speed it maintained it with a lil more throttle than usual. I'm not planning on towing anything with the M1008. I'll use my 04 GMC Duramax truck or the 79K20 once it gets a trailer brake set up. Those two trucks are much better options for towing....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks