• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing with M1009

AECS

I put 33 inch tires on mine, 900 pounds in the bed, and towed a 2005 Huyndai to Memphis from San Diego. slow going with the gearing, but she handled great.

usabamaman

Hitch bolts

I read somewhere that it was rated at 3,000 lbs., but I have never pulled anything with it. However when the vehicle was stripped for painting and the bumpers and hitch removed for sandblasting, I noticed the hitch was held on by only non-graded bolts. I replaced these with grade 8's. I don't know why this was done, but it could have something to do with all the variations in the load limit listed above.

Last edited:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read somewhere that it was rated at 3,000 lbs., but I have never pulled anything with it. However when the vehicle was stripped for painting and the bumpers and hitch removed for sandblasting, I noticed the hitch was held on by only non-graded bolts. I replaced these with grade 8's. I don't know why this was done, but it could have something to do with all the variations in the load limit listed above.
The whole hitch mounting design is weak.

Matt5

Banned
pretty sure i seen a commercial for 10k... cant find it however maybe it was for the pick up... but coulda swore it was the blazer. Was in that "good enough for the military good enough for you" like long commercial thing.

Last edited:

Barrman

The CUCV truck pintle is mounted to a very thik step bumper which has 6 bolts on each side holding it to the frame rails. Then there are a pair of angled pieces that bolt to the pintle and have 2 bolts each holding them to the frame. Very sturdy and well thought out.

The M1009 is pretty much bolted where a stock license plate would go on the thin steel M1009 bumper with a 1" thin wall tubing brace running under it to the frame rails. That is only there to hold the safety chain hook points.

Keith_J

And K30 CUCV have a 3/8" plate bolted to the frame web for the frame extensions. This is where the 4 diagonal bumper braces bolt to the frame.

The system is very strong. My fabricated receiver hitch which bolts to the stock pintle holes easily handled an 8000 pound tandem trailer. I left it on after installing a class V proper hitch, only to lower the receiver 4". I'm going to use the fab receiver to hold the spare.

cucvrus

066.jpg067.jpg068.jpgThe pintle hitch was a weak link. It was a massive fail on my Crown of Thorns M1009. I rebuilt it and reinforced the frame and bumper after that it was tough. 006.jpgI tied the bottom tube into the class 3 receiver and used a tube on the rear inside of the bumper to tie the center bracket into the frame rails on both sides. I can't find the pictures but I had pieces laser cut and gusseted everything. I only done it so I could use the pintle with the Bubba rope. It never failed after that. But the strength came from the bottom tube and most I see a this point are rusty junk.

Don Murphy

Pulled about 300 lbs under 6 tons with my m1009 but I do have the nv4500 transmission with the original 6.2 with 30,000 miles no rebuild. Wouldn't recommend going a far distance through. I went from one side of town to the other.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks