• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing with the Deuce and Tire markings question

FreightTrain

Banned
OK,what is the max towing capacity of a Deuce with 900x20 tires?

Also,does anyone know what the Flag on the side of my Goodyear tires?Looks like a Flying flag with an X on it.Also,where did Goodyear make the 900x20 tires?

houdel

The PINTLE towing load is given on your data plate, 6,000 lbs x-country, 10,000 lbs highway. If you are planning on installing and using a receiver hitch, the capacity is whatever the manufacturer rates the hitch at.

Attachments

FreightTrain

Banned
OK,now does anyone know the legality issues I might run into doing the haul from Bama to Cinci back down to Rising Sun,Indiana?I don't have a CDL but being as I won't be doing this for commercial purposes(technically will be driving a Rigged up RV with my driver in tow)..........

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Tell us exactly what you are considering hauling. Appearance is going to be the first thing considered if you might get stopped. Can't give very much good advice ifwe don't know whats going in tow.

FreightTrain

Banned
Going to be towing either my Dually with a Tow bar or my first choice is my Dually on an equipment trailer.I like the idea of a trailer since I won't have to disconnect the driveshaft.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Freight Train, that shouldn't be any kind of a problem. Dual tandem pintle type equipment trailer weighs around 5500#. Looking at around 13,000# which should go pretty easily. You will know it's there but getting up to speed won't be a problem. If you have selected an implement trailer, does it have air brakes? If it did that would be great, if not, you can rig up an electric controller for the job. Enjoy the trip!

FreightTrain

Banned
That is too easy though.Besides the dually doesn't have a goose neck hitch and there isn't enough room in teh bed anymore thanks to the mega Fuel tank.

houdel

The general rule of thumb is to tow the lighter vehicle with the heavier, all other factors being equal. However, all factors are not equal here. As long as the Dually is rated for towing in the 13,000 -15,000 range, and your trailer has a GOOD set of brakes, I'd go with Jason's suggestion. You are pushing the limits here though. I'd at least pull the outer duals and batteries out of the Deuce and put them in the bed of the Dually to even up the weight distribution a little bit, and drive VERY carefully! No 70 mph cruising, keep plenty of space between vehicles in front of you, plan on about 3-4 times your normal stopping distance, and tale the on/off ramps VERY SLOWLY!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FreightTrain said:
That is too easy though.Besides the dually doesn't have a goose neck hitch and there isn't enough room in teh bed anymore thanks to the mega Fuel tank.
Looks like ha can't do it that way. I will also say that 13,000 on the back (not a 5th or goose) is a white knuckle event. A pintle equiped implement trailer with air brakes will work great behind a deuce as long as you can get the lunette high enough.

houdel

In general I agree with you Kenny. However some of the big Duallys are rated to tow 13K to 15K. IF FreightTrain has a Dually with this much towing capacity, IF AND he has a light gooseneck or 5th wheel trailer, IF AND he can get some of the weight off the Deuce and into the bed of the Dually, and IF AND he keeps his speed moderate and recognizes that stopping and maneuvering are severely compromised with that much weight behind him, it will work. A 450-750 series truck would be a much better choice. This looks like a lot of miles in a Deuce at 50 MPH.

FreightTrain - A dump truck tag trailer MIGHT work behind a Deuce, IF the lunette is high enough; you will also need a 24V-12V converter for the trailer lights unless the trailer has LED lights which will work on 24V.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand Lee, I was only pointing out that he doesn't have a gooseneck nor the bad capacity to install one. I've flat towed deuces behind my 1 ton before and agree about their ability. I also concur with moving weight, I've had the pucker of that before. I'll also make this disclamer though not directed at the folks here, we pretty much understand the heavy truck thinig. But one must consider that just because a truck could move the weight doesn't necessarily mean it should.

jkelly66

Ringht with that one Kenny I have had many times when I loaded a trailer or been towing a vehical and wish I would have thought all the possibilities of what could happen before setting out. The best things I know to do is consider everything and anything involving the trip at hand there is no such thing as overkill when it comes to preperation. Good luck

FreightTrain

Banned
Well,if you look at my sig you will see the truck that I plan on taking up there.The 1991.It ain't no superduty!It might do it but I trust the deuce over long hauls than I trust that dually.Heck,the dually has left me on the side of the road 4 times in the 5 trips that I have taken in it.Once driving to the shop after unloading it.made it about 6 miles,next time from the shop to home made it 2 miles,next time on the way from the house to a garage,made it about 4 miles,the last time from the shop to home....I made it 0 feet.I should have the problems worked out now but I would feel better if I was driving the deuce.Plus,I just want to drive the deuce up there.Hope I can come up with a good route.Trying to find a way to get around Chattanooga or Huntsville.Don't think I will like driving that big sucker though those 2 town.Road planning sucked there.

FreightTrain

Banned
As for the lights,I plan on rigging up a set of Tow lights.Just clamp them to the trailer some how so I don't have to worry about a converter or changing out like bulbs.

jasonjc

I've pulled a M35 and M135 (not at the same time) with a F350 super duty and small goose neck trailer 20' 12-14K.
pulled a M35 mins axles and bed with a F250 super duty and a bumper/ball type trailer 22' 14k and a m135 mins eng with the same set up worked real well much perfed to flat towing one. But I do see your point about no room for hicth and not being the super duty. I just gotta have A/C and a radio for those long drives. :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks