• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing with the Deuce and Tire markings question

houdel

FreightTrain - Sounds like you couldn't trust that Dually to pull a tin can out of your driveway. I'll have to take my foot out of my mouth and agree with Kenny 100%, use the Deuce to pull the Dually. It will be a long slow trip driving the Deuce, but much safer and more likely to get there without a breakdown. If you had a good, reliable superduty that would be one thing, but I wouldn't want to try it with your dually.

rmgill

FreightTrain, I'd go with a tag type trailer for a dump truck with air brakes. I bought a VERY cheap trailer that needed new brakes and wiring from a friend for $1000 that works perfect behind my deuce. I tow a 3 ton armored car with it and I've gone from Atlanta to the Philly area and back once already with nary a problem. It didn't even give me a problem in the mountains.

IF you can find a trailer that has air brakes you should be able to get one with an adjustable position lunette so that'll work for the Deuce's hitch height. Mine tow's just fine in the highest position. Air brakes will take care of brakes and I wish my trailer were setup for that but I went with electrical brakes which is what the trailer had. That required a 24-12 volt converter and an electronic brake controller in the cab.

Insofar as controlling the trailer's lights, just get a 12pin cable froma military trailer and wire that into the trailer's wires in a waterproof electrical box you add to the a-frame of the trailer. You can add a civilian socket there too so you can use it behind a standard truck as well if you want to be fancy. For the 24 volt lighting, just swap the bulbs out and use 24 volt bulbs in place of the 12 volt ones. Newark Electronics carries civilian style bulbs in 24 volt (ie dual contact 24 volt bayonet base duel filament bulbs).

Check out this thread for my configuration and some photos.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4647

Pinkie

I have a triaxle Hudson 18,000 I pull behind my dump trucks. I put it behind my deuce one time and all seems to work except the bumperetts, they will have to be removed. The trailer does have a standard hitch height (I forgot what is was, I can measure if you like). When its hooked up to the deuce there is a slight downward slant (front to back) of the trailer but I would not think it would hurt anything, if nothing else, it would help get the equipment on and off easier!

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
With regards to the 12/24 volt lighting issue - you can replace the existing lights on the trailer with the new LED units and I believe it will then be suitable for operation on either voltage. No first hand experience here - but that is what a friend of mine did and I've heard no regrets from him.

Regards,
David

rizzo

DDoyle said:
With regards to the 12/24 volt lighting issue - you can replace the existing lights on the trailer with the new LED units and I believe it will then be suitable for operation on either voltage. No first hand experience here - but that is what a friend of mine did and I've heard no regrets from him.

Regards,
David
I made a LED light bar for towing and it works with my 1008 and my 543 and my suberban or semi.I have various adaptors for it.

It can be secured to the back of any vehicle or trailer. So it can be used for flat towing also. I think its very versatile.

rmgill

I have some dual voltage bulbs some are too small for dual voltage LED units (or I just haven't found them yet). It's on the marker lights that I have 24 volt filament bulbs installed.

It's the T10 series bulbs that I haven't found in LED form that'll fit in the Marker lights I have for the trailer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks