• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing

M1075

RE: towing a m35a2 with e350 powerstroke

Yes, you could do it, but there would be a lot of risk involved. Maybe someone here could help you out, if it doesn't run.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

When do you need it removed? Maybe someone can assist, and tow it home for you.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Check with RICKYODAY (Rick Theirs). I believe he has a 5th wheel towing device on his tractor. He might pick it up for you.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i took a tow bar on a F350 FX4 dually and towed a m818 missing the engine, and hood with no winch, i towed it around 50 miles one way. that was an experience that ill never forget, and ill never do it again

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think its scary enough flat towing a duece with another duece let alone with a vehicle that weighs half as much as the towed vehicle. I would advise against it. The problem is not having any of that 13,500 lbs that your towing tranferred onto the wheels of the towing vehicle. The slightest loss of traction on the rear wheels of your van on a slight turn will quickly cause a jacknife situation. It happened to me at 5 mph on a turn when I hit some wet leaf's, all that towed weight wanted to go straight while my towing duece was turning and the rear end got away from me, luckily I was going slow and was able to pull out of it. Just my 2 cents.

airtech

i have pulled a backhoe with the van and it pulled and stopped fine the exhaust brake does most of the stopping i cant imagine the weight is that much more if any i just dont know how a truck would pull behind it.

Rickyoday

I flat towed a schoolbus with a single axle F600 dump truck, and jacknifed in a 5 mph 120 degree turn on a paved road. Follow the advise of someone who tried to save a few bucks, and get it towed! I bent up a medium tow bar when the bus went straight, when I wanted to turn! BTW, my M818 w/5th wheel wrecker that BKUBU mentioned, is in the process of getting liscensed and insured, so I'm unable to help at this point. Good luck, Rick

randyscycle

I'd pay the $$$ to have it towed home. Last I checked to have an M211 towed about 60 miles it was around $450. Weel worth it in my opinion. The towing company has the insurance and the lawyer to cover themselves if the going goes bad.

Also keep in mind that the backhoe was probably on a trailer with brakes. If it wasn't, you should have your head examined for towing anything that heavy without brakes.

A fully dressed deuce weighs around 12-13,000 lbs, so unless you'd like to cause one of those "CHiPs" style accidents, I'd pony up the $$$ and avoid the stress and danger.

Michael

I have towed all kind of stuff with the above mentioned 84 van on a trailer including a M135. Totally different thing. The first turn I made with the bus without a driver, the bus went straight and the van slide sideways.

airtech

i can borrow a trailer that holds 14500 lbs that has brakes dual axles and dual wheels but i am also adding more weight to tow

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
airtech, towing a deuce with a pick up is not safe. If you can't think of your own well being, please a take time out and think of the other people around you. It could be my wife and kids that your lapse in common sense kills.

airtech

willwagner read the post its not a pick up truck it is a serice body van chassis that has 19.5 tires dual rear wheels its rated for 14000 lbs if you dont know what you are talking about please dont respond it tows my back hoe easier and stops better than my single axle dump truck my question was not about the weight

M1075

You will be better off with the trailer than without. You will have some brakes and you will have a lot tongue weight to ensure good traction when cornering.

randyscycle

On a trailer, you will be better off. That said, still not safe, just better off. In your initial post, you asked about flat towing the deuce with a vehicle half its size, and many posted responses that were very truthful as to the results they've had. It isn't worth what you'll save on the tow bill, plainly put.

Not to sound condescending, but have you actually looked at a deuce or driven one? They are pretty weighty and meaty. Not at all a lightweight truck. Even on a 14,000 LB trailer you'll be exceeding the limit your vehicle can safely pull and stop. The deuce is 13,000 lbs. That is a heavy truck. As others have stated here before, its a very bad feeling when you are no longer in control of your vehicle. Even worse is the feeling of killing or injuring someone.

airtech

i wont tow if i can get it running ,i know i can tow it on a trailer but if it wont start i dont know how i can get the truck on the trailer . I do realize how heavy the truck is combat engineer 1983-1989

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled my parts Deuce the other day with my deuce. I wasn't going far and I started to use my 3/4 ton Dodge. I'm glad I didn't. When you go to turn the towed vehicle still wants to go strait. Looks like if your towing it with something that is lighter than the truck you're towing you'll end up in the ditch on the first curve. You have to have something heavy enough to pull it around the corners. At the very least you'll need somebody in the deuce to steer it. You'd be better off to have it on a trailer with no brakes than to try and flat tow it (although I wouldn't try that either).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks