• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

towing

Westech

CPL
well I have hauled my M220 on a 35 foot goose neck with my 2500HD and it took it a cool 60 MPH for 350 miles. Was not that bad at all just took it ez. Now I have towed a 5 ton and a Deuce with my deuce and I tell ya its not really fun. I would not tow a deuce for a long trip with anything smaller then a 5 ton. yes you prob could do it with the van if you took your time, planed your roads, and had some support looking out for you.

Flea

RE: Re: towing overwieght

Check the GAWR on your van's rear axles. Look for the max tire weight and make sure that it matches up with your axle's capacity. Ford's 10.5 Sterling axle under your van is rated at 18K GCWR and 6,250 GAWR. But that's provided it has the standard axle and not something different if it's cab/chassis.

If your receiver is the factory hitch, or a suitable aftermarket (read: 10+ weight carrying), get a good WD hitch and put the deuce on a strong trailer with electric brakes. You'll be ok beyond your tow rating as long as you stay within your axle and tire ratings. Also, make sure trailer brakes are working before you leave, and keep speeds to 50 mph or less. Sway control is an absolute must, as is a WD hitch.

Good luck, and keep a wide margin between you and the vehicles in front of you.

tmbrwolf

RE: Re: towing overwieght

General rule of thumb that we taught vehicle recovery in the army, when you tow another vehicle, you tow it with the same or a larger vehicle, the towing vehicle must be the same weight or heaver, IE you don't tow a loaded duece with an empty one, I've towed 5 ton wreckers with another wrecker and that was not fun! To be legal the bumper hitch would have to be a class V rating (16,000 w/WD), a class IV with WD is only rated at 12,000 LBS, cargo duece 13,500 wo/w, without the trailer weight you have already exceeded the class IV hitch capacity, If it were to break loose and someone died as a result it could mean charges of manslaughter, if you knowingly overloaded the hitch! (disclaimer: I'm not a lawer, nor do I play on on TV but this is a no brainer)

Elwenil

Ok guys that's enough. This sort of thing is not very constructive or helpful and tends to leave people with a sour taste in their mouth. Take it to PMs if you wish to continue.

Tanner

Elwenil said:
Ok guys that's enough. This sort of thing is not very constructive or helpful and tends to leave people with a sour taste in their mouth. Take it to PMs if you wish to continue.
I think that the constructive part has been covered - a quick survey of the post seems to show a majority of respondents preferring that Airtech would use a towing service or at least a larger vehicle to tow the truck in question. Others are merely voicing the fact that they have 'successfully' used lighter vehicles to tow heavier vehicles. This is a concept that would make mere mortals coil in fear at the similar thought of attempting to make a panic stop in a Yugo with a freighttrain attached to the back...

Years back, I used a 1/2 ton pickup to dolly a slightly heavier vehicle home, 'just a short distance', I convinced myself. Towing went without incident, until I was rounding a bend at 25 & received a sudden lesson in 'applied physics' - had to lift off the throttle for a car that decided to pull out in front of me, went gently for the brakes, and the towed load kept on keepin' on & jack-knifed me. The 'applied physics' part was where I had to pull the seat upholstry out of my lower intestines... :shock:

We can all offer stories of lessons learned, both positive & negative, when it comes to towing different 'things' - Just because you cheated the odds doesn't mean that it's the best/safest/most logical way of doing things.

Being the voice of reason in otherwise chaotic times, I'd offer a solution that would involve a local SS member in Airtech's area that might offer to assist in towing Airtech's find home for fuel, comraderie & beer money?

And the sash chain/moped comment was plainly insensitive and a poor suggestion, period. Sash chain can suffer from link deformation under tension; cotton rope is a much better solution because it will 'flex' slightly during the transition from static rest to being fully tensioned - rope has a built-in cushioning effect that is gentler on the moped drive sprockets.

My hope is that the truck runs & you can drive it away - good luck!

Tanner

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Airtech, Are we going to see you at Middletown after you get her whipped into shape?

SterlingDevelop

And the sash chain/moped comment was plainly insensitive and a poor suggestion, period. Sash chain can suffer from link deformation under tension; cotton rope is a much better solution because it will 'flex' slightly during the transition from static rest to being fully tensioned - rope has a built-in cushioning effect that is gentler on the moped drive sprockets.
Please pardon the insensitivity. This is the first time ever---on any site--- that I've had a post deleted. I feel honored. I would have thought, though, that a post would be deleted for profanity, maybe, or threats, or unnecessary name-calling.

Wouldn't have thought a little good natured humor would result in a post being censored.
If my moped comments hurt any feelings, I might humbly suggest that the big burly beer drinkin' ,grease under the nails, deuce drivin', red blooded, military vehicle collectin' guys who took offense could possibly be a little too sensitive.

Anyway, to show that I can take a little constructive criticism, I am going to take Tanner's suggestion and switch to cotton rope. I can "borrow" some from the neighbor's clothesline. Because clearly the last thing we need is for some links to suffer deformation under tension. :grd:

Rolling_Eudaimonia

SterlingDevelop said:
Please pardon the insensitivity. This is the first time ever---on any site--- that I've had a post deleted. I feel honored. I would have thought, though, that a post would be deleted for profanity, maybe, or threats, or unnecessary name-calling.

Wouldn't have thought a little good natured humor would result in a post being censored.
If my moped comments hurt any feelings, I might humbly suggest that the big burly beer drinkin' ,grease under the nails, deuce drivin', red blooded, military vehicle collectin' guys who took offense could possibly be a little too sensitive.

Anyway, to show that I can take a little constructive criticism, I am going to take Tanner's suggestion and switch to cotton rope. I can "borrow" some from the neighbor's clothesline. Because clearly the last thing we need is for some links to suffer deformation under tension. :grd:
I thought it was funny....

My post was deleted too...

Re: towing a m35a2 with e350 powerstroke

airtech said:
need to pick up in columbus i am going to check the truck out next week to see if i can get it running while i am waiting on euc if not do you think i could tow it with a e 350 powerstroke drw van with exhaust brake ? i know the brakes would be on the weak side but its all flat 75 miles to my house not much traffic.I can buy a tow bar cheaper than getting it towed here
Ok, Airtech DID say the brakes would be on the week side and most on this thread are thinking the first van below. He may have the second van below, and I am sure there are opinions about flat towing a duece with either.

Airtech DID question many of the safety comments on this thread which then turned the thread into a joke based on the him asking for advice and then arguing about it when it came.

He never posted a picture to help clarify what the vehicle exactly is. and now that I took my own time to find out, my opinion is still, DONT FLAT TOW A DUECE with a vehicle much smaller than the Duece. The average opinion on this therad is that.

Next time be clearer in your descriptions when you post, then really take the answers you get and think about them rather than argue.

Attachments

Rolling_Eudaimonia said:
SterlingDevelop said:

I thought it was funny....

My post was deleted too...
Oh and Me too....I was rolling laughing at the comments when the post went FROM CONSTRUCTIVE to ENTERTAINING.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks