• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towing?

jwaller

the deuce will do it but your over the 10k trailer limit on a class C license and the deuce brakes are over their heads on it but it can do it. just don't do it around me please.

dm22630

He is in VA....as long as he is not getting paid to move it, he is exempt from CDL requirements. That is ONE positive thing that this wonderful state allows us to do. I am glad I dont live in MD! rofl

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
He is in VA....as long as he is not getting paid to move it, he is exempt from CDL requirements. That is ONE positive thing that this wonderful state allows us to do. I am glad I dont live in MD! rofl

Leave us poor over taxed, over regulated, over licensed and over managed Marylanders alone. We just had to tow a 5 ton using another 5 ton 1/4 of the way around the beltway. The 5 ton quit running and stopped at the ramp to the Pikesville St Police Barracks. The whole time we were towing the M818 home I was sweating bullets. Now my son's thought this was so cool.

emr

There are sooo many posts on this, u really need to read em all, there is alot to know, start searching, and then fine tune your question, or it will get out of hand, just friendly advise...Randy

maybefixit

the deuce will do it but your over the 10k trailer limit on a class C license and the deuce brakes are over their heads on it but it can do it. just don't do it around me please.
<disclaimer> I don't own a Deuce (yet) <disclaimer>

Can't the brake system from the towing Deuce be used to trigger the brakes on the towed Deuce, so that during braking the towing Deuce doesn't become overworked? I thought I saw a thread on that before. The air compressor on the towing Deuce provides air supply and control pressures, so that even the towed Deuce's brake lights operate correctly without an electrical connection between the trucks, right? Of course that depends on the towed Deuce having a fully charged set of batteries and the light switches set in the right mode.
There's probably a PM covering it, but I haven't gotten to that one.

If the towed Deuce has any faults in either the air or hydraulic parts of its brake system then I expect it would be an issue for the towing Deuce's braking ability. Better to flatbed in that case, I'd imagine.

If the Deuce being towed is a new recovery, and the air hookups can be done, then that would also allow for purging the water from towed Deuce's air tanks since air pressure would become available.

6x6guy

Not only can you tow a deuce but try a deuce with a trailer with about 50 miles on the Illinois toll way, I should have taken a few pictures. But you always appreciate a MV member who always willing to give another member a helping tow back home. Thanks again greg

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stretch has a "how to" thread on coupling the brake system via air. There are lots and lots of threads covering this very topic. Search the term "towbar" or "tow bar" in the deuce forum by clicking on the advanced search and you should end up with a few days of reading material.

Divemaster920

Banned
Thanks for the information.
I finally figured out how to use the advanced search....I have been going to the one at the bottom not the one in the middle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks