• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Town mechanics Messed up M1008

zout

There are plenty of so called mechanics that are still in the back yard working under the big oak tree - that never have made it to the front yard !

I can believe the guy hacked it up and he is probably lucky he did not fry the complete wire harness like them ole M80 firework fuses use to burn - fast and furious.

Still no excuse for him not to look on his own once he figured he was up to his a** beyond his capabilities - why not just hack it like he thinks it should go - or something vaguely familiar with something he knows so it looks the same !

The starter just as well could have been loose and wollowed out the holes as well - but eh I am just guessing as it sounds good. Did he only use metric heli coils ?rofl

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are plenty of so called mechanics that are still in the back yard working under the big oak tree - that never have made it to the front yard !
Hey I resemble that remark!!!! The wife won't let move the stuff to the front yard. I don't have an oak tree, but I do have a pecan tree. Makes a great engine lift. ;)

DrJekl

I sold my 1009 to a guy in my shop, bought it back recently. he smoked a few starters (all of my spares) and broke off starter bolts. The starter was tired when I got the truck back. Swapped it out last night and found one of the bolts was wrong.

ryan77

Man i would tear that whole harness out and replace it with a painless or get a good used one that looks like a fire waiting to happen!!!!!!!

dstang97

Man i would tear that whole harness out and replace it with a painless or get a good used one that looks like a fire waiting to happen!!!!!!!
Yeah Im gonna get it running and see if it is worth buying a starter and harness for. But man it is even worse that the pictures show. I am real surprised it has not caught on fire either. I just went through the receipts the town paid and If they would have found a person that knew what they were doing they would have had a nice truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That mess of wires looks like a great avatar!

ryan77

Those painless are the way to go everything is labeled, ive done about 4 of them on various cars. These blazers should be a snap due to no interior!!!!!

hre513

Picked up a M1008 and this thing is a nightmare. I have been around some time and have never seen any wiring Hack job like this one. They had a starter issue and kept going through starters. So I messed around with it today and fist i thought bad starter relay. Ok bypassed that to try to see if that was the problem and no dice. So i dropped the "new starter" Some one put in a 12v gear reduction but failed to convert to 12V. Also I noticed there was grade 8 bolts Heli-coiled into the block and were not running a brace. Can I take out the Helicoil? and try an oem bolt? how do i take them out?

Trucks :: IMG_0070.jpg picture by Dstang97 - Photobucket
:shock::shock::shock::shock:

86m1028

the painless crap ISNT any better than whats there now

EDIT I just looked at the pics that IS A PAINLESS WIRING KIT

Last edited:

ALA2

When my starter bolt broke do to no brace they made a bushing out of a 9/16 bolt tapped inside 3/8 then put a stack of washers on the bolts they found from a diferent truck'
it now has a humvee engine in it . There fix fixed it alright.

ALA2

dstang97

Good news I robed the starter from my truck and got it going. this is after I removed 3lbs of excess wire. I did the dawg head relay, but I am only getting 12v to the solenoid. I am getting 24 at the solenoid so this has me baffled. I bypassed that wire and ran a new one to the starter and it started up. instantly after years of sleeping. This thing runs better than all 3 I have owned. Any ideas about the 12v to solenoid? I know i will need a new in cab harness because it is beyond repair. Even Warthog would not be able to make sense of this. Any leads on NOS in cab wiring?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...I know i will need a new in cab harness because it is beyond repair. Even Warthog would not be able to make sense of this. Any leads on NOS in cab wiring?
I just looked at the pictures again. Gave me cold chills. It would take me awhile but I might be able to figure it out...;-)

I sent my last good spare harness too Barrman a couple of months ago. Someone cut the fusebox out on one of his projects.

There is a "M1008 harness" on fleebay now. Might be worth checking into.

dstang97

Ok did some more researching the starter problem and figured out what they did. They hooked up the starter to the water in fuel wire. (makes sense). I did take it for a test drive today and seems like it will be pretty good once I get some new harnesses. I have a line on a complete part out in New Hampshire so I think I am gonna get everything.

DokWatson

LOL! I saw the first picture that pops up and was like "That isn't that bad...what a bunch of pansies..." Then I saw what was pulled out under the dash....holy crap.

dstang97

Since I have not been posting here lately I decided I should update this thread. Sold the truck after I fixed it up with out doing any body work. Someone called me out of nowhere and asked me how much it would take to own it. We discussed a price and he said no problem. For some weird reason I was very attached to this truck. Anyway I did the following before I sold it.

New starter
Dash
New harness
New steering column
remove 10lbs of BS wire, switches, and other junk
And some time.
Here are pictures of the truck semi restored. I do not care to much for the color, but i'm just glad the truck wasn't parted out for its axles for some stupid project.

Attachments