• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Towning home a M1101 I won

spankybear

Howdy new forum! I won a M1101 and planning on picking it up tomorrow.... It's a long drive to get it home. Is there any advice for when to look for or what. I looked the the pictures and the trailer looks good from the pictures. My main concern would be bearings. Is there anything I could look for before I head out? Trailer is at Doyle.

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Harbour freight has a magnetic led set i use on everything and u will have to duct tape them on cause the whole trailer bed is aluminum and drop the tailgate on it and u wont know its back there and u can take 2 8 lug gm wheels and tires for spares worst case senario ! Also a jack and lug wrench/ sockets ive had to go get 1101/2 4 times you will be really happy with it !

spankybear

Thanks for the tips! These are all very good!! I have a set of magnetic "drag" lights so that is good. I really like the idea of the IR thermometer. Also bring the standard tool kit and jack.

I think I won a nice trailer... judging by the pictures all of the bows and hardware is there in the bed. Along with the cover. I wasn't going to pass this one up for only $650.00

Attachments

flyfishtrailer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Doesn't look like that one even saw service, the paint in the bed is not all rubbed off. Alo looks like a complete cargo cover to boot. How did that escape for only 650 LOL. Nice catch on that one. I was up at Doyle a few weeks ago, they have a ton of these up there.

spankybear

All I got to say is WOW... Just got the trailer home... 1500 miles in one of the worst snow storms I have experienced. In the last 40ish hours I have only about 5 hours sleep. Colder than a well digger's back side. It was down to -6º F... WOW for the dirt "road" you have to drive down to get to the yard.

And lastly WOW it's a NICE M1101!!!! Looks like it may have been in Korea if there''s a logistics base there. Looks brand new NOS. No bumper numbers no dents. Has the LED marker lights. Best part is it has ALL the hardware for bows and top. There's even a bag of fasteners for mounting all of the top. Top look good but I didn't unfold it all of the way. The dude at GP said "wow I didn't know all of the top was there"

Just washed all of the road grime off and parked away. Off for a HOT shower and a good night's rest.

Link to the sale https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Military-Trailers-2008-Schutt-M1101-Cargo-Trailer-California/8421829?h=5002,l2|USA-CA,msg|88238,sm|0,pstart|100,sort|d+asc,isAuc|yes,mf|1&rr=0.00909&hitprm=&pnLink=yes

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All I got to say is WOW... Just got the trailer home... 1500 miles in one of the worst snow storms I have experienced. In the last 40ish hours I have only about 5 hours sleep. Colder than a well digger's back side. It was down to -6º F... WOW for the dirt "road" you have to drive down to get to the yard.

And lastly WOW it's a NICE M1101!!!! Looks like it may have been in Korea if there''s a logistics base there. Looks brand new NOS. No bumper numbers no dents. Has the LED marker lights. Best part is it has ALL the hardware for bows and top. There's even a bag of fasteners for mounting all of the top. Top look good but I didn't unfold it all of the way. The dude at GP said "wow I didn't know all of the top was there"

Just washed all of the road grime off and parked away. Off for a HOT shower and a good night's rest.

Link to the sale https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/Military-Trailers-2008-Schutt-M1101-Cargo-Trailer-California/8421829?h=5002,l2|USA-CA,msg|88238,sm|0,pstart|100,sort|d+asc,isAuc|yes,mf|1&rr=0.00909&hitprm=&pnLink=yes
Dang! I am impressed. You had mentioned earlier that you were expecting Bows and a Cover. I was hoping somebody wouldn't "liberate" those parts before you got there to pick up the trailer.

Glad that you made it home safe and sound!

spankybear

From the sticker on the trailer it says APS-4 Korea. So I take it this was over in Korea waiting on Korean war number 2 (or maybe for it to heat up again)

Attachments

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the sticker on the trailer it says APS-4 Korea. So I take it this was over in Korea waiting on Korean war number 2 (or maybe for it to heat up again)
No unit markings on it that I can see (would have been stenciled on the rear unless they've changed something since I was over there) so likely just sat waiting to be needed and never was.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now that I think about it, there really shouldn't be any A0/A1 trucks left in the military inventory, so getting rid of the M1101 from inventory would also make sense as they were specifically for the earlier trucks with the lower tow rating.
Not that there's any physical difference between the M1101 and M1102; just that on the books the truck that they match to are gone or nearly so.

2deuce

I almost bid on that one, but I already had 2. There were a couple in that lot that had the top and hardware in the bed, but they didn't show if it was all there, or not. Decided to let it go knowing it was better than the ones I already bought. That road going in there is more a motorcross track than a road!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks